News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Love that shot of Front from the 20's.

The bridge in the left middle distance is the John Street bridge. The entrance to Rogers Skydome is there now.

May 28 addition.

Bloor West and ?

kenwoodtheatre962bloorW.jpg

DSCF1718.jpg

Even cooler is the stainless steel LOANS sign that (hopefully) still exists across the street.

Is the newer vantage point further east than the old one?

I think the newer version would have been taken in front of the Kenwood, as the Metropolitan was immediately to the east of the theatre.

FYI, courtesy of the NY Times:

The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters may not be the best of the "Bowery Boys" series, but it was unquestionably the most profitable. It all begins when Slip (Leo Gorcey) and Sach (Huntz Hall) try to gain permission to use a local vacant lot for baseball games. The boys make a trip to the mansion of the lot's owners, the sinister Gravesend family. It soon develops that all the Gravesends are looney, and none loonier than mad scientists Derek (John Dehner) and Anton (Lloyd Corrigan). Derek wants to transfer Sach's brain (what there is of it) to the body of a gorilla, while Anton wants to use Sach's graymatter for his robot. Meanwhile, Amelia Gravesend (Ellen Corby) makes plans to feed Slip to her carnivorous plant. Along the way, Sach is periodically transformed into a hideous beast, terrifying one and all, including his would-be rescuers Louie (Bernard Gorcey), Butch (Bennie Bartlett) and Chuck (David Condon). There isn't a single gag or situation in Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters that wasn't used earlier by the Three Stooges or Abbott & Costello, but that doesn't make the film any less hilarious. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Last edited:
Bloor West and ?

kenwoodtheatre962bloorW.jpg

It's the Kenwood Theatre located on the north side of Bloor Street just east of Dovercourt Road. I watched many Saturday afternoon matinees there for a nickel paid by my paper route income. The talented Van Evera family lived just north of Bloor on Dovercourt and once in a while did an act on the stage while the film was being changed. I remember their act as a kid with a 1 cent bag of popcorn on my lap (now $6 at Rogers Centre)....and young Billie singing and dancing....later to become Billy Van who hooked up with a neighbourhood kid ...Jack Duffy. Both long gone I think?

Keep those photos coming

Even cooler is the stainless steel LOANS sign that (hopefully) still exists across the street.

Yes, the new vantage point is right in front of the disappeared "Kenwood" - now the storefront with the "... Sistering" sign.

I like the uniform it took to make out a parking ticket in the 1950s.

Lately they've taken to wearing bulletproof vests as part of the uniform...

I think the newer version would have been taken in front of the Kenwood, as the Metropolitan was immediately to the east of the theatre.

FYI, courtesy of the NY Times:

The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters may not be the best of the "Bowery Boys" series, but it was unquestionably the most profitable. It all begins when Slip (Leo Gorcey) and Sach (Huntz Hall) try to gain permission to use a local vacant lot for baseball games. The boys make a trip to the mansion of the lot's owners, the sinister Gravesend family. It soon develops that all the Gravesends are looney, and none loonier than mad scientists Derek (John Dehner) and Anton (Lloyd Corrigan). Derek wants to transfer Sach's brain (what there is of it) to the body of a gorilla, while Anton wants to use Sach's graymatter for his robot. Meanwhile, Amelia Gravesend (Ellen Corby) makes plans to feed Slip to her carnivorous plant. Along the way, Sach is periodically transformed into a hideous beast, terrifying one and all, including his would-be rescuers Louie (Bernard Gorcey), Butch (Bennie Bartlett) and Chuck (David Condon). There isn't a single gag or situation in Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters that wasn't used earlier by the Three Stooges or Abbott & Costello, but that doesn't make the film any less hilarious. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Watched the Three Stooges in reruns as a kid. Couldn't stomach them now. Rewatched some of a 'Get Smart' episode; can't figure out the attraction in my childhood.

It's the Kenwood Theatre located on the north side of Bloor Street just east of Dovercourt Road. I watched many Saturday afternoon matinees there for a nickel paid by my paper route income. The talented Van Evera family lived just north of Bloor on Dovercourt and once in a while did an act on the stage while the film was being changed. I remember their act as a kid with a 1 cent bag of popcorn on my lap (now $6 at Rogers Centre)....and young Billie singing and dancing....later to become Billy Van who hooked up with a neighbourhood kid ...Jack Duffy. Both long gone I think?

Keep those photos coming

Hello, welcome and thanks Dovercourt Park. In my nabe in my time the afternoon matinees had gone up to 35cents. Popcorn a dime.
Jack Duffy... remember him and Dinah Christie on 'Party Game', which I watched when sick and home from school.. broadcast at 4pm I think.
Still a great area, Dovercourt and Bloor.

May 29 addition.

King and Sherbourne SE corner.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0531.jpg

DSCF1699.jpg

In 1900, when she was 20, my grandmother lived in the house on the right with the sun shining on the bay window. As an old lady she always said she was going "down street" when she meant going downtown. Many years after her death I discovered that she worked at Eaton's when she lived on St Vincent Street. I stood on that corner looking south and realized why.
The church was the original Knox College.

In 1900, when she was 20, my grandmother lived in the house on the right with the sun shining on the bay window. As an old lady she always said she was going "down street" when she meant going downtown. Many years after her death I discovered that she worked at Eaton's when she lived on St Vincent Street. I stood on that corner looking south and realized why.
The church was the original Knox College.

Thanks for this NomoreaTorontonian. Through the eyes and voices of those who have lived and are now gone. I close my eyes and think of my grandfather sometimes; it brings him back. Through him I know that he cycled miles to pick up collars for laundering. 5 cents each. When men might have worn a shirt for a few days but changed a detachable starched collar daily. On Broadview Av there is a 1920s era walkup apartment at the location of the laundry where he worked.

May 31 addition.

NW corner Bay and Breadalbane. Do any UTers know the origin of this street name? Its unique for sure. Yes, I know it's Scottish; I Googled. I want to know how the street got its name. :)

The school house was located where the steps are (behind the taxi). Needless to say, Breadalbane no longer runs W of Bay.

fo1231_f1231_it1009.jpg

DSCF1707.jpg

Two comments:

1. The arrival of main street modernism in Toronto, a building now crying out to be put out of its misery.

2. Why can't you find chop suey on menus anymore (much less advertised on neon signs)?

Back