News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I remember an egg salad sandwich at the Crescent, back in the mid-80s when I was new to Toronto. A cockroach sauntered across the counter in front of me. When I pointed it out to the waiter, hoping for a free sandwich, he just apologized and swept it onto the floor. Introduction to life in the big city!

In both the second last and last paragraph February, 1921. page 41. the spelling of

Mr Andrew Dods is incorrectly noted as "Dodds".

Regards,
J T

I remember an egg salad sandwich at the Crescent, back in the mid-80s when I was new to Toronto. A cockroach sauntered across the counter in front of me. When I pointed it out to the waiter, hoping for a free sandwich, he just apologized and swept it onto the floor. Introduction to life in the big city!

So, a few blocks south, in the 90s; I'm sitting in a Chinese place eating har gow out of a bamboo steamer basket. They have a bitter chemical taste. I look in the basket. I see several steamed cockroaches.

vomit.gif

Weekend nonsense. Same spot in Kensington Market as last weekend. Different old car. A Buick Special.

CSC_0083.jpg

The DVP onramp was earlier called Winchester Dr. and connected the city with Don Mills Rd. (Broadview).
I believe the designation "Royal Drive" may have temporarily been used when the King & Queen drove into Riverdale Park during the 1939 Royal visit.
not sure about the 1939 visit, but it was definitely Royal Drive for the 1951 visit

goldie, i hope you don't mind, i used your "then and now" photo of the top end of winchester at danforth in an article i wrote on my web site about royal drive --

Rediscovering Royal Drive

the pictures date back a couple of months, and it took me until today to finish writing it all up

all i wanted was this one shot of the end of winchester street just before the bayview extension --

the-end-of-winchester-street.jpg

things kind of snowballed from there as i added more photos and links and maps (to give that one photo some meaningful context)

but then because of the recent interest in royal drive on this thread, i buckled down and finished writing it all up this evening

i hope you folks like it, and that it was okay to post a link to my own site

Weekend nonsense. Same spot in Kensington Market as last weekend. Different old car. A Buick Special.

CSC_0083.jpg

Buick Special, a truly Canadian Car.
Been waiting for a chance to post this pic of my dad's 1st car in Canada

Attachments

• Boboshe.jpg
    Boboshe.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 321
goldie, i hope you don't mind, i used your "then and now" photo of the top end of winchester at danforth in an article i wrote on my web site about royal drive --

the pictures date back a couple of months, and it took me until today to finish writing it all up

I'm pleased to see that my "Then & Now" was useful to your "Rediscovering Royal Drive" site.
That's a fantastic job you've done with the history of Winchester/Royal.
I hope everyone reading this will visit your site to see your excellent example of historical research.
I'm particularly pleased because you have done exactly what I have wanted to do - congrats for beating me to it!
I have been intrigued by Winchester Drive ever since I discovered those archive pix of the path crossing the Don and reaching up to Danforth.

Buick Special, a truly Canadian Car.
Been waiting for a chance to post this pic of my dad's 1st car in Canada

Ah, Gebbois, casually posting a picture of his dad's wonderful car with that intriguing Sayvette store in the backgound. :) Automotive and retail history in one picture.

not sure about the 1939 visit, but it was definitely Royal Drive for the 1951 visit

all i wanted was this one shot of the end of winchester street just before the bayview extension --

the-end-of-winchester-street.jpg

things kind of snowballed from there as i added more photos and links and maps (to give that one photo some meaningful context)

but then because of the recent interest in royal drive on this thread, i buckled down and finished writing it all up this evening

This is quite the emotional and evocative picture for those of us here who are fascinated with this Lost Road. What great research and a wonderful essay piece; thank you r937.

Ah, Gebbois, casually posting a picture of his dad's wonderful car with that intriguing Sayvette store in the backgound. :) Automotive and retail history in one picture.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Yonge and Steeles. The car was used when he bought it in '62. The floorboards in the back were rusted out, and I used to look out the hole at the road as we drove.

I'm so fond of the history of Winchester Dr. that I decided to place these two pics together as a Then & Now.
The recent photo is, as we all know, from that wonderful essay by r937 <Rediscovering Royal Drive>.

This was once the Winchester route into the Don Valley.
Winchesteratzoo1907.jpg

Today it disappears abruptly at the Bayview Extension.
WinchesterDr-end-byRudyLimeback.jpg

I'm so fond of the history of Winchester Dr. that I decided to place these two pics together as a Then & Now.
The recent photo is, as we all know, from that wonderful essay by r937 <Rediscovering Royal Drive>.

This was once the Winchester route into the Don Valley.
Winchesteratzoo1907.jpg

Today it disappears abruptly at the Bayview Extension.
WinchesterDr-end-byRudyLimeback.jpg

A journey on foot into the city, or out of it, on a warmer day, or a colder one, must have been physically trying thing along this road. Imagine starting somewhere along the Danforth and having to go to St. Lawrence Market. I haven't mentioned rain, that road must have been a morass.

Back