News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Then and Now for July 23.

Then. Looking WNW along Dundas Square towards Yonge. 1980ish.

690.jpg

Now. May 2012. Hmmm, some 'movie prop cars' in the foreground. Toronto is standing in for New York City (again :)).

691.jpg

Let's not forget the iconic Downtown Theatre, which was gutted to create the commercial building shown in the earlier pic:

downtowntheatre.jpg
downtown1949.jpg

downtowntheatre.jpg

imperial.jpg

Downtownsite.jpg

107002.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you: ok I will scan them tomorrow and attach them in email to you. I have a few rare photos mainly I took back then but the one of the CBIC building (1930) is quite unique looking down look view.

I got them. The CIBC building never looked better!

Let's not forget the iconic Downtown Theatre, which was gutted to create the commercial building shown in the earlier pic:

downtowntheatre.jpg
downtown1949.jpg

downtowntheatre.jpg

imperial.jpg

Downtownsite.jpg

107002.jpg

thecharioteer.. so many details to devour in these pictures:

*Note how early in the day you can see a movie.
*The colour pictures - so sharp - makes that large 'Downtown' sign more the loss. I'm fantasizing if it had been saved and stored and resurrected in todays square. People could say: "I'll meet you under the 'Downtown' sign."

Then and Now for July 24.

Then. Queen and O'Hara looking E along Queen. c1900s-ish.

692.jpg

Now. April 2012. Interesting building of some substance on the right that has disappeared. I wonder what it was?

693.jpg

This photo is described as of the Bayview Extension under construction in 1957, although it looks more like the construction of the DVP to me. Is this the last Winchester St bridge?
s0065_fl0075_id0003.jpg

That may be a different bridge altogether, alongside (and therefore replaced by) the present Riverdale Park ped bridge--is it the crossing depicted on this map btw/Winchester + Gerrard?

RoyalParadeRoute.gif

Loved your post.

I realize now that I used to walk my dogs up Royal Drive everyday, through Riverdale Park.

Today I passed Broadview/Danforth in a car so I couldn't grab a shot but there's definitely a sign in that heinous new blue-and-white style stating "Royal Drive" where the on-ramp to the DVP is. I am not sure if somebody already confirmed this or not.

For E.M.G. and wwwebster (who's provided may better photos to this thread):

7634685594_ea8442e946_z.jpg

I kind of like it. A sign not only of a street, but also of a sense of humour in our City government.

This photo is described as of the Bayview Extension under construction in 1957, although it looks more like the construction of the DVP to me. Is this the last Winchester St bridge?
s0065_fl0075_id0003.jpg

That may be a different bridge altogether, alongside (and therefore replaced by) the present Riverdale Park ped bridge--is it the crossing depicted on this map btw/Winchester + Gerrard?

RoyalParadeRoute.gif

Is this another view of the same bridge? That's Broadview Ave. in the distance.

769.jpg

This is confusing. The Winchester St. Bridge was clearly not a truss bridge in 1915:

f1231_it1972.jpg

nor still in 1953:

pictures-r-1218.jpg

Also, when you walk over the present pedestrian bridge, you can see what look like bridge footings to the south of the CPR bridge. But the Winchester bridge was to its north.

Could there have been 2 bridges at this site (3 including the rail bridge)?

Then and Now for July 25.

Then. 'May 19, 1915. Pumping Station.' On Eastern near Coxwell.

694.jpg

Now. April 2012.

695.jpg

696.jpg

Sewage pumping stations in particular as public infrastructure investments provide a return that immeasurably more than justifies their original investment; doubly so as they are public health necessities and the investments must be made. This plant received some upgrades in 2010 and is still operational.

Back