40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

For some reason, this house was numbered 340 before it was 280. Circa 1901:

BookReaderImages.php

Another one for chacha. Welcome chacha.

Westbournead.jpg

Then and Now for January 25, 2013.

Then. Bloor Street again. St. Margaret's School. This time at the SE corner of Spadina. c1898. Picture sourced by wwwebster. St. Margaret's was a day and boarding school for girls; and was listed in city directories 1898 - 1921. Muriel Earhart - sister of aviatrix Amelia - attended in 1917. Amelia visited her sister; took a Red Cross course and spent part of 1918 at the Spadina Military Hospital - todays 1 Spadina Crescent, as a nurses aid.

926SpadinaBloorSEc1898.jpg

Now. July 2012.

927.jpg

Thanks wwwebster. A Google turns up nothing biographical...

He was Sir William Mulock's brother-in-law:

William Mulock married in May 1870 Sarah Ellen Crowther, daughter of James Crowther. She was born and educated in Toronto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Mulock

As well as George Sterling Ansel Ryerson's (doctor, businessman and MPP):

On November 14, 1882 he married Mary Amelia Crowther, daughter of barrister James Crowther. They had five children: George Crowther (born 1883), Yoris Sterling (born 1886), Eric Egerton (born 1888), Arthur Connaught (born 1890), and Laura Mary (born 1893). His wife's sister, Sarah Ellen Crowther, married Hon. Sir William Mulock, MP, afterwards Post-Master-General and Chief Justice of Ontario. Mary Crowther Ryerson and daughter Laura were passengers aboard the Lusitania when it was sunk off the Irish coast in May 1915. Laura survived, Mary did not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Sterling_Ansel_Ryerson

Last edited:
The Crowther Clan:

POLK & CO - 1888:
(PAGE 463.)

CROWTHER, JAMES
BARRISTER
99 KING STREET E
472 JARVIS STREET.

CROWTHER, JAMES JR
MULOCK, TILT, MILLER & CROWTHER.
280 BLOOR W.

Regards,
J T

His father's house at 472 Jarvis (TPL):

pictures-r-756.jpg

Photographer's stamp on vso of mount: Fr. Van Norman's / PHOTO STUDIO, / No. 42 North James St. / HAMILTON,-ONT.; Inscribed on vso of mount: No 28 Crowt[cropped] / [and in a later hand] Mr James Crowther / Jarvis Street Toronto
The house was enlarged after Crowther's death in 1888 and occupied by his son-in-law Sir William Mulock from 1891 to 1944.; TEC 199.3; See also TORONTO/HOUSES/MULOCK, SIR WILLIAM, house, Jarvis St.? Date Created year approximate for 1881?

f6850c8b-1.png

Last edited:
Another one for chacha. Welcome chacha.

wwwebster - many thanks for identifying the Westbourne School for me after all this time. And Mustapha - many thanks for your welcome and for the additional picture and information. I have been lurking and enjoying this thread for several years, and never fail to be impressed and delighted at all the expertise and enthusiasm (and results) in digging up historical material about Toronto and comparing it with the present (though some of the 'present' images are enough to make one weep).

A Google search turned up this blog http://berthamayingle.blogspot.ca/2012/04/toronto-and-how-one-thing-leads-to.html which contains some interesting background about the property at 280 Bloor W., and Bertha May Ingle who was an art teacher at the Westbourne school in the early 1900's.

It seems there were quite a few "ladies colleges" along Bloor St. Aside from the two just discussed, there was Moulton Ladies College (post #1211 on page 81) on Bloor near Park, and my grandmother attended the Presbyterian Ladies College, 152 Bloor St W. (just east of Avenue Rd.). It, too, was in an large house.

It's freezing out, and the missus and I stopped here this evening for a udon tofu noodle soup brought to the table at a rolling boil in a heated stone bowl and a hearty pork rib stew.

What unites Torontonians Then and Now is their love of food and company. I remember back in the 70s when telling others that one ate sushi was a conversation starter. I wonder what new cuisine will grab the attention and palates of Torontonians in 2013? 'Ramen' restaurants seem to be on the ascendancy right now. I'll have to try one out.

R1239466.jpg

R1239469.jpg

R1239467.jpg

R1239468.jpg

And here's a vintage Life magazine for you to browse this weekend.

Why, don't mention it. :)

http://books.google.ca/books?id=4E4..._ge_summary_r&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Looks like the addition was to the rear:

pictures-r-4137.jpg

I was in the area today running errands.

The east wall of our church has been subsumed within a later building and can no longer be seen.

The west wall however can be seen from a laneway. There is a white eave which you can see here running the length of the original church building.

R1239471.jpg

R1239472.jpg

Then and Now for January 24, 2013.

Then. 280 Bloor W. April 29, 1924. I don't know when this place was erected, who owned it, or when it was demolished, can anyone help?

Now. July 2012.

925.jpg

This building was built by, and was the final home of, the Toronto Academy of Medicine. When the Academy was unable to pay its bills the building was bought by the Bahai in the early 1990s.

I totally remember the Union Jack as one of the flags primary schools would fly. I was a child in the 70s so there was the Canadian flag, the Union Jack and Elmer the Safety Elephant.

This is a great photo of Hester How! I remember we had the Union Jack and Elmer - and Elmer would be either half-mast if one of the pupils was injured in an accident - or - we'd lose it altogether. We also had the Ensign as our flag as the flag we now have was not developed yet...Mavis

This is a great photo of Hester How! I remember we had the Union Jack and Elmer - and Elmer would be either half-mast if one of the pupils was injured in an accident - or - we'd lose it altogether. We also had the Ensign as our flag as the flag we now have was not developed yet...Mavis

I remember passing this 'Dell' place when we took a different route to Orde St. School.
Great shot...I never thought I'd see this again...Mavis

Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us. - Oscar Wilde, "The Importance of Being Earnest".

Back