News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So, a few posts back, I'm trying to guess where food trends are going in 2013, and JTCunningham disrespects me by sending me another 125 year old menu. :)

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN22-1888-No3-page-005.jpg

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN22-1888-No3-page-006.jpg

I always look at these menus closely; as I have an abiding curiosity as to what people have 'eaten out' through the years.

In the 'Dessert' section I found 'Malagra Grapes' intriguing; fresh grapes in January? I don't suppose they really came from Spain.

Thanks JT!

Then and Now for January 28, 2013.

Then. We are looking in a SW direction; the drugstore across the street is the NW corner of Parliament and Queen. August 1959.

928.jpg

Now. July 2013. It's still a furniture store across the street - now called 'Marty Millionaire'. They do quite a bit of business renting their stock out as movie props.

929.jpg

My, what good vision you have Mustapha!
I had to do this before I could see them.

goodvision.jpg

So, a few posts back, I'm trying to guess where food trends are going in 2013, and JTCunningham disrespects me by sending me another 125 year old menu. :)

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN22-1888-No3-page-006.jpg

I always look at these menus closely; as I have an abiding curiosity as to what people have 'eaten out' through the years.

In the 'Dessert' section I found 'Malagra Grapes' intriguing; fresh grapes in January? I don't suppose they really came from Spain.

Thanks JT!
I love these! I'll have the corned beef please, and for desert it will be Mince Pie and vanilla ice cream, thank you.

"Then. We are looking in a SW direction; the drugstore across the street is the NW corner of Parliament and Queen. August 1959."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

That was the scene of the infamous Rupert Hotel fire. One of those people that were killed had worked

for a trucking company I was familiar with.

http://torontohistory.org/Pages_PQR/Rupert_Hotel_Fire.html

RIP.

Regards,
J T

I had forgotten about this. Thanks for reminding us of this event and those lost.

My, what good vision you have Mustapha!
I had to do this before I could see them.

goodvision.jpg

She's bending over to give something to the child. One thought that occurred to me was: the child might have been born in 1884. If she lived to 80 (1964) she would have been witness to some amazing historical and technological events..

I love these! I'll have the corned beef please, and for desert it will be Mince Pie and vanilla ice cream, thank you.

And I had stewed tomatoes several times over the course of two weeks recently. They're not bad at all, and I've come to like them as much as fresh.

Of course, I enjoy canned fruit cocktail so you can see where I'm coming from. :)

Then and Now for January 29, 2013.

Then. May 4, 1916. Wartime. King and Strachan looking E.

930.jpg

Now. July 2012.

931.jpg

One hundred and twenty five years ago today, bright and earnest Bay Street executives looked forward to lunch at G.S. McConkey's [27-29 King St. W.):

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN29-No5-GSWCONKEYRESTAURANTMENU-page-005.jpg

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN29-No5-GSWCONKEYRESTAURANTMENU-page-006.jpg

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN29-No5-GSWCONKEYRESTAURANTMENU-page-007.jpg

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN29-No5-GSWCONKEYRESTAURANTMENU-page-008.jpg

Last edited:
Then and Now for January 30, 2013.

Then. 208 Queen W. c1980 or so I'm guessing. The Queen Mother Cafe was established 1978. This is a nice black and white picture that shows nicely the ability of b&w film to show details in shadows - see left side of picture - the wall of the neighbouring building.

932.jpg

Now. July 2012.

933.jpg

Back