News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

thecharioteer's link isn't working for me [error 404], is it working for anyone else?

Try this:

http://glassian.org/Prism/Luxfer/CA/Catalogue/page17.html

Here's the interior in 1947 (Ontario Archives):

LaPlaza2.jpg
LaPlaza3.jpg

I0012583.jpg
I0012581.jpg

Today:

lrg-GYFQWLtM3vHE1niIhBXBv6bCTZzKQwJ1ZSfsZLnIPzE.jpg
venue-info-pic01.jpg
l.jpg
20121118-cunninlynguists-opera-house-9.jpg

http://www.theoperahousetoronto.com/venue-info.php

Last edited:
Then and Now for March 1, 2013.

March, thank goodness; we are coming around the corner to Spring.

Then. More Yonge Street widening. 1956.

989a.jpg

[A bit] Later. They've lost their parking.

990.jpg

Now. September 2012. Those old apartment houses are gone. The condos out of frame to the left appear to be 80s vintage.

991.jpg

thecharioteer, yep, the link works.

Those interior pictures are quite fetching, thanks.

The old Runnymede theatre/now Chapters book store on Bloor W is still a great place to contemplate what once was, while buying a magazine... I haven't been in a few years; I should take the subway out there.

Thanks to Google Street View, I was able to note this unique building (attached) immediately across the road from The Opera House.

While checking out these images, I saw that further east at 744 Queen is a Bank of Commerce.
Beautiful facade! Is it still a bank? or ??
Bank of Commerce, 744 Queen E..jpg

Attachments

• Bank of Commerce, 744 Queen E..jpg
    Bank of Commerce, 744 Queen E..jpg
    96 KB · Views: 609
McGugans, an excellent Scottish pub near the corner of Gerrard and Jones, has the best fish & chips I have ever tasted in this city. The batter was amazingly light and the fish fried to perfection as were the chips. Well worth the trek to the east end.

Thanks for that, I'll have to check it out.

Last edited:
I wonder if that Mark Cullen guy on tv had anything to do with Cullen Gardens.. or if his family did? I looked up his bio and it didn't say anything.

Anyhoo,

I took a Now picture of a Toronto popcorn vendor a couple of weeks ago and found a Then picture on the internet to sort of pair it up with.

These popcorn carts have been part of the Toronto scene for such a long time.. I've never seen them in any other North American city.

To me, it's a soothing thing to see them, someone should do a story about their owners.

popcornvendor_zps7fd83068.jpg

R1239481_zpsdac015ce.jpg

Last edited:

Back