News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Bay St. - 1923

acd0Jhy.jpg

Mustapha wondered if "that Mark Cullen guy on tv" is any relation to the Cullen family. Mark is the son of Len Cullen, who with John Weall had the nursery business Weall and Cullen in North York. The Miniature Village was Len Cullen's idea.

When my parents bought their house in a treeless new subdivision in York Mills, Len Cullen planted the garden, which included dwarf apple trees, dwarf pear trees and a cherry tree. I must have been hanging around because he told me to remind my parents to water the trees. I was four.

I wonder if that Mark Cullen guy on tv had anything to do with Cullen Gardens.. or if his family did? I looked up his bio and it didn't say anything.

Anyhoo,

I took a Now picture of a Toronto popcorn vendor a couple of weeks ago and found a Then on the picture on the internet to sort of pair it up with.

These popcorn carts have been part of the Toronto scene for such a long time.. I've never seen them in any other North American city.

To me, it's a soothing thing to see them, someone should do a story about their owners.

popcornvendor_zps7fd83068.jpg

R1239481_zpsdac015ce.jpg

The melted-butter aroma from those carts is such a strong memory. I can smell it as I type.

"The melted-butter aroma from those carts is such a strong memory. I can smell it as I type."
QUOTE: nostalgic.

Don't forget the chesnuts!

Regards,
J T

I have not seen one in ages, but the carts also came in a motorized version. They were three wheeled Italian jobs and had all the same treats on board. Some even had candy apples. The whistle is the big memory trigger for me.

I have not seen one in ages, but the carts also came in a motorized version. They were three wheeled Italian jobs and had all the same treats on board. Some even had candy apples. The whistle is the big memory trigger for me.

Round about 1954, my grandfather came to Toronto to sell popcorn, chestnuts and candy apples. He only stayed for four months but in that time he saved enough money to go back to his family in Greece and provide for them for the next three years. I think he went as far as the Spadina area from west Toronto, “The Junction”.

I will never forget cause I helped my father build his bicycle driven cart! I was six years old.

Mustapha wondered if "that Mark Cullen guy on tv" is any relation to the Cullen family. Mark is the son of Len Cullen, who with John Weall had the nursery business Weall and Cullen in North York. The Miniature Village was Len Cullen's idea.

When my parents bought their house in a treeless new subdivision in York Mills, Len Cullen planted the garden, which included dwarf apple trees, dwarf pear trees and a cherry tree. I must have been hanging around because he told me to remind my parents to water the trees. I was four.

That was quite the responsibility to be laid upon such a young head. Such that you remembered it to this day. :)

Then and Now for March 4, 2013.

Then. Yonge looking N from York Mills. Pardon the psychedelic effect. Everything looks new.. Yonge appears to have been widened; so lets say this is post-widening; later in 1956 or 57. The building on the left survived up until 1980 or so. I think it was a pumping station, but that's a guess - it was definitely municipal infrastructure.

992.jpg

Now. August 2012.

993.jpg

Round about 1954, my grandfather came to Toronto to sell popcorn, chestnuts and candy apples. He only stayed for four months but in that time he saved enough money to go back to his family in Greece and provide for them for the next three years. I think he went as far as the Spadina area from west Toronto, “The Junctionâ€.

I will never forget cause I helped my father build his bicycle driven cart! I was six years old.

What a treasured memory. Thank you railmus. :)

The building on the left survived up until 1980 or so. I think it was a pumping station, but that's a guess - it was definitely municipal infrastructure.

Or earlier than 1980, perhaps? (I'd think sometime circa the Yonge subway extension + the Wilson-York Mills connection in the early-mid 70s makes sense--then again, I could be wrong)

Then and Now for March 4, 2013.

Then. Yonge looking N from York Mills. Pardon the psychedelic effect. Everything looks new.. Yonge appears to have been widened; so lets say this is post-widening; later in 1956 or 57. The building on the left survived up until 1980 or so. I think it was a pumping station, but that's a guess - it was definitely municipal infrastructure.

The Canadian Electric Railway map collection that was posted here a while back refers to it as the York Mills Power substation.

That Yonge St widening didn't do any favours to the community of York Mills/Hoggs Hollow.

f1244_it7336.jpg

f1568_it0415.jpg

s0065_fl0078_id0007.jpg

One of the houses on the right (at one point in time) was the home of C.W. Jeffery's. There's a memorial plaque to C.W. Jefferys at 4111 Yonge Street (and mention of him on the brick/stone memorial at the corner of Old Yonge Street and Domino Drive; he lived at the Yonge Street address nearby.) Details etc at http://torontoplaques.com/Pages_ABC/C_W_Jefferys.html

Last edited:

Back