News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I don't see why it *must* be restored; the present stair isn't offensive, and the war memorial actually has a Deco-era elegance...

The present look isn't bad at all, but it's not as beautiful as the original. Why not restore it to its original design? It would be more indicative of the time Old City Hall was built.

The present look isn't bad at all, but it's not as beautiful as the original. Why not restore it to its original design? It would be more indicative of the time Old City Hall was built.

I agree. The "marbelization" of the lower portion destroyed the unity of Lennox's original architectural vision. Comparisons can be made with the grand staircase in the Rookery Building by Burnham & Root in Chicago and its subsequent "improvements" (notwithstanding Frank Lloyd Wright's involvement):

Last edited:
Though at the same time, keep in mind that subsequent restorations have sought not to undo said Rookery "improvements" (though true, the FLW provenance may explain some of that)

"Cuspidorii? There's two of them in the first photo."
Earlscourt_Lad

Hence my "plural".
A "JT word" for an uncivilized society, naming a now largely unknown accoutrement.

Regards,
J T

Unfortunately you've applied a Latin plural - in duplicate - to a word that is actually of Portuguese origin. Cuspidorii would be fine if the singular were cuspidorius, but if we're going to be pedantic, cuspidores is the way to go.

Chewing tobacco seems to be making a comeback of sorts, judging by the youths I espied on the subway recently, awkwardly gobbing into plastic bottles.

From the Deseronto Ontario Archives, the 140 year old pages of business traveler Denis Nealon's diary makes for fascinating reading. Before you start reading, a "shanty" is a lumber camp. Just so you know. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserontoarchives/sets/72157614310217158

Quite the active historical mindset among the modern Deseronto citizenry. Their rich and fascinating website, with a coincidental link to a 1899 CNE map held by the British Library - the CNE being a topic of discussion here a few days ago...

http://deserontoarchives.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for those links, Mustapha.
Those are wonderful images of Deseronto's history.
This one of our now-lost, Scarborough Beach Amusement Park caught my attention.
I don't believe we've previously seen a similar view:

Scarborough Beach Amusement Park-aerial.jpg

Attachments

• Scarborough Beach Amusement Park-aerial.jpg
    Scarborough Beach Amusement Park-aerial.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,465
similar view here, goldie -- from http://www.williamson100.ca/mediadetail/11577605-Amusement-Park

to compare to contemporary maps, note that at the top of the picture, there's a very bright north-south road that has a little jog in it -- that's hammersmith ave

the road that leads down from queen street in the middle of the picture, of course, was turned into scarboro beach blvd

The Flatiron is such a wonderful and amazing subject.

Coffin Block - before Flatiron (Gooderham)

CoffinBlock-beforeFlatiron_zpse35d641a.jpg

Gooderham Building - March, 2014

FlatironafterCoffin2014_zps6c8b8778.jpg

More from one who is positively mesmerized by 'Flatiron'

CoffinBlock-flatiron-1888

CoffinBlock-flatiron-1888_zpsdb8b50b5.jpg

GooderhamBldg-flatiron-2014

GooderhamBldg-flatiron-2014_zps114e5e69.jpg

I share your mesmerization, Goldie. Now if only the rest of the neighbourhood had survived.....

POSTCARD - TORONTO - CHURCH AND FRONT AND WELLINGTON - LOOKING W - GOODERHAM BUILDING CENTER -  .jpg

1947:

gooderham.jpg

1977:

gooderham1977.jpg

Early 1930's:

Late 1940's:

Mid 1960's:

Attachments

• POSTCARD - TORONTO - CHURCH AND FRONT AND WELLINGTON - LOOKING W - GOODERHAM BUILDING CENTER -  .jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - CHURCH AND FRONT AND WELLINGTON - LOOKING W - GOODERHAM BUILDING CENTER - .jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,366
  • gooderham.jpg
    gooderham.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,371
  • gooderham1977.jpg
    gooderham1977.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,174
Last edited:
More views of that wonderful neighbourhood:

Front St. W. of Jarvis 1954

FrontStWofJarvis1954_zpsd5ac02d9.jpg

Front St. W. of Jarvis 2014

FrontStWofJarvis2014_zps4573214f.jpg

Front at Jarvis 1953

FrontStatJarvis1953_zps2d98904a.jpg

Front at Jarvis 2014

FrontStatJarvis2014_zps418ba294.jpg

Last edited:
Still a pretty darn nice neighbourhood.

Last pic Goldie, is that building on the left the real one or a reproduction?

Back