News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Talk about beasts and Death Stars !
I've always considered this to be the most objectionable Bell structure in all of the GTA (Pharmacy at Eglinton). An eyesore for miles around!

BellTower_zps1ccddfa9.jpg

20101118-metrocentre.jpg
I like that tower. It gives the area a sense of place. I don't find its geometric form ugly.

I remember one of the versions of the CN tower design was very similar to this tower except with a pod way up at the top....

Attachments

• 20101118-metrocentre.jpg
    20101118-metrocentre.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,108
Last edited:
I like that tower. It gives the area a sense of place. I don't find its geometric form ugly.
It's much cleaner now than it was originally! It had large orange microwave antennae hanging off of each corner probably three high. It is engrained in my mind as I spent many a late night looking at the skyline around our Flemingdon Pk. apartment. Even from the rooftop for a time.

As to the Bell building on main, it's been clad over for as long as I can remember, back to about 1973? And yes, gobsmacked to see what it was. IIRC it's the 69 exchange.

It's hard to remember that the Eaton Centre was half the length it is now...

Then 1977. Old Eatons store coming down for Eaton Centre expansion.

dq2l9y.jpg

Now. January 2015.

2gtahhg.jpg

I suppose there are not many Toronto "tower enthusiasts" who will remember the immense (855 ft.) CFTO TV tower that was at McCowan and 401 over 50 years ago.

CFTOTVtowerx1962_zps109fe38b.jpg

I suppose there are not many Toronto "tower enthusiasts" who will remember the immense (855 ft.) CFTO TV tower that was at McCowan and 401 over 50 years ago.

CFTOTVtowerx1962_zps109fe38b.jpg

Not sure why Goldie but as a wee lad I lived on Brimley south of Sheppard in the late 50's and my parents called this tower the "Professors" aerial. Go figure.

Not sure why Goldie but as a wee lad I lived on Brimley south of Sheppard in the late 50's and my parents called this tower the "Professors" aerial. Go figure.

Maybe there was a kids' show "The Professor" on CFTO-TV and this was "his" aerial.

Talk about beasts and Death Stars !
I've always considered this to be the most objectionable Bell structure in all of the GTA (Pharmacy at Eglinton). An eyesore for miles around!

BellTower_zps1ccddfa9.jpg

Far, far uglier erections have been foisted on the public as Art. This tower at least has a function.

Back