News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The interesting (to me) detail in this image is the unusual fire hydrant on the lower left.
I’ve only ever seen one other example of it in Toronto images. Here’s a link to a large copy of the other example:

https://ia902700.us.archive.org/Boo...arliament00yeiguoft_0190.jp2&scale=1&rotate=0

Note that the Scott Lane image is dated March 23rd, 1904, only weeks before the Great Fire of 1904, in which the hydrant would have gotten quite a workout (assuming it was functional).

That fire (finally!) led to the installation of a separate, high-pressure hydrant system by 1909.

f1257_s1057_it4765.jpg

This pic has to be one of the real Gems at the Toronto Archives. I've always wondered the location?

I was immediately reminded of this famous photo "American Girl in Italy" by Ruth Orkin:

Orkin.AmericanGirl.jpg

Attachments

• Orkin.AmericanGirl.jpg
    Orkin.AmericanGirl.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,448
Thanks for those links, Mustapha.

The 'Toronto connection' is a wonderful addition to be acknowledged.

And the woman in Orkin's photograph, Ninalee Craig now 83, is still gorgeous!

Any info on Noverre Bros. imprinted on the 1875 pic?

The Noverre Bros. (John H Noverre & Philip E Noverre) are listed as "Ontario photographers."

You will find another of their photos by a Google search under <Noverre Brothers>

"Any info on Noverre Bros. imprinted on the 1875 pic?"
railmus.

FISHER & TAILOR'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1875:

Noverre .John II., 29 King e

Regards,
J T

Then and Now for February 14, 2013.

Then. College Theatre. NW corner College and Dovercourt. 'Gallant Journey' is on the marquee. This dates the photograph to 1946. The theatre was built in 1920; closed in 1967.

961nwcollgeanddovercourt211047.jpg

Now. August 2012.

962.jpg

Note the old sign: 'Matador Dance Club' on the far right in both pictures. I've never been there but will be sure to go before I get too old to - uh - dance. :)

963.jpg

Responding to my own post of almost a couple years ago to post an update about the Matador club.

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1272955/the-matador-music-club-to-rise-again-owner-says/

Back