News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

HOME WITH A MYSTERIOUS HISTORY
265 Sterling Rd. 1980 TPL
265 Sterling Rd. 1980  TPL.jpg

265 Sterling Rd..jpg

I was trying to place when all that was going on; I'd have to guess the winter of 1979-80, since Joe Clark is mentioned and he was prime minister for only about 9 months. First federal election I was old enough to follow, so it stands out. Oh, geez, the guy's even calling out Bill Davis on the stairs. I wonder what in the world prompted all that. Is there a story about it in The Star or anything, Goldie? William Wodiuk of 265 Sterling Road?

Well, Clark and Davis are still around; maybe we could ask them. :)

I miss those old-style hardware stores, like Dempsey Brothers. Places that carried just about anything, offered a wide range of services and staff that could actually provide knowledgeable advice. If it included a lumber yard they would carry a variety of soft and hard wood lumber and even do some custom cutting or milling for you.

"Indian" burial ground unearthed when developers were preparing ground in Scarborough for new housing,,,,1956 TPL
Tabor (Taber?) Hill, indigenous ossuary east side of Bellamy Road, north of Lawrence Ave. E.

Tabor Hill, indigenous ossuary east side of Bellamy Road, north of Lawrence Ave. E. 1956  TPL.jpg

An entire block of the sub-division was designated as "park land" and a monument was placed atop the lill.

Tabor Hill 2004.jpg

Tabor (Taber?) Hill plaque.jpg

"Indian" burial ground unearthed when developers were preparing ground in Scarborough for new housing,,,,1956 TPL
Tabor (Taber?) Hill, indigenous ossuary east side of Bellamy Road, north of Lawrence Ave. E.

View attachment 188417

An entire block of the sub-division was designated as "park land" and a monument was placed atop the lill.

View attachment 188418

View attachment 188419

Also useful for reanimating dead cats and opening portals to hell. ?

Also useful for reanimating dead cats and opening portals to hell. ?
Even though the site was very disturbed, at least for the times the developer preserved the ossuary. The dead were kept locally, and then about every 10 years the bones were collected and buried communally in the ossuary. It is a cemetery.

I nearly mistook the "before" photo for Scarborough Bluffs--which is a reminder that as "respectful" as it is, the present configuration of Taber Hill is really an artifice...

Perhaps we'd all like to know that.
I looked for the name on Google, without much success.
There are a number of entries under the same name.
Please let us know if there's a valid answer.

Perhaps we'd all like to know that.
I looked for the name on Google, without much success.
There are a number of entries under the same name.
Please let us know if there's a valid answer.

From the Toronto Daily Star, Wednesday April 17 1929:

WELL KNOWN WAR VETERAN IS BURIED

Frank E. Dunbar, President of the Toronto Amputation Association, was buried yesterday with full military honours in Mount Pleasant Cemetery. The funeral took place from 293 WIllard Ave. Many comrades and old friends paid a last tribute. The photograph shows the military party when they fired three volleys over the grave.
Frank E. Dunbar.JPG

Thank you to the Toronto Public Library and their incredible Newspaper Archives for helping me find this!!!

Frank M. Harvey House, West Side of Main Street, North of Gerrard. 1957. Toronto Public Library, Call Number 977-1-12. According to the Toronto Public Library website, Frank M. Harvey had operated a livery stable on Main Street, circa 1900.

Frank M. Harvey House, west side of Main St., north of Gerrard. 1950s..jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3879.jpg

Back