News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Re the "old" photo: it isn't likely that a newly built jog bypass would look that "rustic", so one rotely assumes it's present-day Carpenter Rd.

Jarvis St. E. side looking north between Adelaide & Richmond 1910 TPL

Jarvis St. E. side looking north between Adelaide & Richmond 1910 TPL.jpg

Jarvis E. side.jpg

Yes, I think so - we have seen them before.

Perhaps, although I have not noticed it in other old photos. It looks to be infrequent and, at that height, the light source would have to be quite bright to be of any use (and really p8ss off occupants of the adjacent windows). There appear to be lines hanging from it going back towards the 3rd upper window from the left. Curious

Perhaps, although I have not noticed it in other old photos. It looks to be infrequent and, at that height, the light source would have to be quite bright to be of any use (and really p8ss off occupants of the adjacent windows). There appear to be lines hanging from it going back towards the 3rd upper window from the left. Curious
Here's another one (which has appeared here before) at Yonge & Front. Dates from ca1895 and appears as an illustration of Street Lighting in "Bright Lights, Big City"
yonge.png

at that height, the light source would have to be quite bright to be of any use and really p8ss off occupants of the adjacent windows.
In my view, the people of Toronto may have been less temperamental in those days as opposed to the many today who will complain over trivial matters.
Also citizens would probably be very pleased and surprised by the introduction of electricity to the city.

Last edited:
Looking S. on Victoria Park Ave. across Sheppard Avenue East 1958 TPL

Looking S. on Victoria Park Ave. across Sheppard Avenue East   1958   TPL.jpg

Vic Park-Sheppard.jpg

Back