News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

21 Gloucester St. (c.1973), the business location of well-known commercial photographer Everett Roseborough (1912-2011)
He then moved to 212 King St. W. (see May 17 post - above)

21 Gloucester Street 1973.jpg

Is this really the same building?
I recall when I first saw this building in the late 60s. With an addition at the rear, it had become a standard 2-storey apartment building clad in the light rose coloured brick which was peculiar to the time. I don't recall the original roofline though it may have been obscured by an addition to the front. Until I saw the photo above, I had no idea that it was once a house.

Here's another view of 21 Gloucester St.. An addition was added for a larger photographic studio.
adition.jpg

Photo by Stan White

Yes, there is a connection. The Hobberlin Museum was owned and operated by my mother, Hedy Hobberlin and myself, Christine Hobberlin. We ran the museum for over 20 years but financial cut backs forced the Toronto District school board to terminate our contract in 2002. I still have a large number of museum specimens (mammoth tusls, polar bear (!), bison head, human and animal bones?rocks, crystals, fossils, dinosaur bones, as well as space technology and actual space shuttle tiles and meteorites, just to name a few things) but the current education climate is not interested in restarting the museum. It's a shame because we offered natural history programs that nicely complemented the Grades 2-13 Science, History, Geography and other mandated subjects.

I would love to reopen the museum and would welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks, Christine.
I had the good fortune to attend AISP in the 80’s which shared the building with the Hobberlin Collection and the Ontario Puppetry Museum. My favourite two items in Hedy’s collection were a deer skull where the bone had healed around a stone arrowhead; and the map of Toronto showing the old oil deposits under the city that were being repurposed. And a tile from a space shuttle. Quite an eclectic collection.

Nice new paint job on the fire station. Looks like they put the lettering back up too (or recreated it).

Hi UT-ers. 897 Queen East. The Then picture was around 2015 I think. It was done on black & white film.

The Now is a screen grab from Google streetview. It's the entrance to a condo.

11949485_10204726415262105_1139559708964110355_n.jpg
Screenshot_20211024-130238_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Hi UT-ers. 897 Queen East. The Then picture was around 2015 I think. It was done on black & white film.

The Now is a screen grab from Google streetview. It's the entrance to a condo.

View attachment 357860View attachment 357861

The final owner of Jims now owns the Gingerman at Victoria Park and St Clair.

Same great food, same great service.

Back