News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Streetview 2009:
yb-01.jpg

Oct 2022:
yb-01b.jpg

No "now" shot to go with this "then" shot... September 30, 1982, I took this on Peter Street (now Blue Jays Way) north of Wellington, south of Mercer, a little south of where Gretzky's was until recently. Looking east towards Roy Thomson Hall. No point in showing the "now" view as it is blocked by a Pizza place on Blue Jays Way, let alone a condo on the west side of John and Metro Hall on the East side... Brick building at left is rear of a building on Mercer
Roy Hall 1982.jpeg

I remember back about 1961 on the hill of Don Mills Rd, about opposite Northwoods Terrace going towards the shopping centre, at breakfast hour, there was a tremendous crash on our quiet street of Guytoi Court. A car flew off the top of the hill of Don Mills Rd, travelled through all the back yards and ended up in the back wall of 12(?) Guytoi Court (the pathway from Guytoi Court to Northwood Terrace was beside the house). Oooh, the excitement! Nobody was hurt I believe.

No "now" shot to go with this "then" shot... September 30, 1982, I took this on Peter Street (now Blue Jays Way) north of Wellington, south of Mercer, a little south of where Gretzky's was until recently. Looking east towards Roy Thomson Hall. No point in showing the "now" view as it is blocked by a Pizza place on Blue Jays Way, let alone a condo on the west side of John and Metro Hall on the East side... Brick building at left is rear of a building on Mercer
View attachment 440051
Very interesting pic, Jer1961! At first I was thinking that it had to be taken from John, not Peter, prior to the construction of Metro Hall, but after going through the following pics, I believe it is Peter Street.

The first stop was the 1924 Goad Atlas, given the presence of the train tracks that once led to the CP Express Building:

00005.jpg

Given the train tracks, I was wondering if the brick buildings on the left were on Mercer or King, which led me to these pics:

1971:

f1526_fl0063_it0068.jpg

This pic is from Peter Street and one can see the break in the warehouse facade where there once was a bridge over John Street:
f1526_fl0042_it0026 (1).jpg

These buildings were all part of the CP Express complex which included the main building on the SW corner of King & Simcoe (which architect Barton Myers tried to have saved (to no avail of course) and integrated into the "new Massey Hall" as it was called at the time):

1967:

King_Street_street_view_1967.jpg

This view from Peter shows the site just prior to the demolition of the main building on King:

f1526_fl0042_it0024 (1).jpg

The Wellington buildings stayed a little longer after the main building was demolished:

Looking across John Street (1977):

f1526_fl0042_it0025.jpg

Attachments

• s0841_fl0078_it0023.jpg
    s0841_fl0078_it0023.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 51
Very interesting pic, Jer1961! At first I was thinking that it had to be taken from John, not Peter, prior to the construction of Metro Hall, but after going through the following pics, I believe it is Peter Street.

The first stop was the 1924 Goad Atlas, given the presence of the train tracks that once led to the CP Express Building:

View attachment 440530

Given the train tracks, I was wondering if the brick buildings on the left were on Mercer or King, which led me to these pics:

1971:

View attachment 440531

This pic is from Peter Street and one can see the break in the warehouse facade where there once was a bridge over John Street:
View attachment 440540

These buildings were all part of the CP Express complex which included the main building on the SW corner of King & Simcoe (which architect Barton Myers tried to have saved (to no avail of course) and integrated into the "new Massey Hall" as it was called at the time):

1967:

View attachment 440538

This view from Peter shows the site just prior to the demolition of the main building on King:

View attachment 440547

The Wellington buildings stayed a little longer after the main building was demolished:

Looking across John Street (1977):

View attachment 440539

Very cool detective work! Yes, this confirms what I said about taking the shot from Peter (now Blue Jays Way), though it seems I was closer to Wellington St, as my view is pretty close to that of the image with the railway track in the foreground and the FCP tower in the background. Might have been a bit misleading in my photo as I think I used a 125 mm lens - the fence in the archive image is visible at the extreme right in my photo - looks like I was basically in line with the north side of the sidewalk on Wellington

Back