News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Sort of like Sky Masterson meeting Nathan Detroit for "brunch"?

exactly! ugh. its hard to imagine those guys digging into a Feta and Spinach Egg Wrap or whatever...

frank_marlon_avedon.jpg

it is sometimes difficult to even believe that Toronto once had a Runyonesque underbelly, given how little of it remains...

LI Mike and Goldie: the two-tone car is a '57 Buick, and the two other cars visible are BOTH '59 Chevies. That's a Cities Service gas station at the extreme far left. The "rosettes" on the Buick were known as "Ventiports" - they've re-appeared on new Buicks of late.

Last edited:
Sometimes I really wish I could live in that late 40s to early 50s era, seems strange, but I have an odd desire to exist in some sort of film noir age Toronto. There's a certain grit and character that seems so appealing, but I suppose it's natural to wish to be able to experience past eras. Today's world seems so cold and homogeneous in comparison.

1959 Chevy

Goldie: I believe that IS a 1959 Chevy parked there on the left. LI MIKE

Thanks for the correction, Mike.
I knew the date but simply suffered a typo!
I recognized the 59/Chevy tail fins because I once owned a 1960 Chev (same fins but different tail lights).

that poor, poor building. from a seedy, noirish little boîte, just up the road from the bus station and the Ford Hotel, and frequented no doubt by a clientele of dames, molls, painted ladies, hoods, hustlers and lost causes, to an 'egg' restaurant?? oh, the indignity...

This poor building used to house a Coffee Time and was indeed home to your aforementioned population. I gratefully accept this manifestation.

I think he was referring to the original "Village House" manifestation, not the Coffee Time phase--though not to disprove your point, either...

This poor building used to house a Coffee Time and was indeed home to your aforementioned population. I gratefully accept this manifestation.

that's right...i am ignoring the 'neither here nor there' donut interlude, and speaking of its heyday (however seedy). but if the 'egg devotees' amongst us are happy, who am i to interfere with their sunny side up disposition?

on the other hand, the building is now ridiculously overdetermined. the word "eggsmart" (sic) appears no less than 12 times over the length of the facade, it has been painted a hideous shade of uhm, 'scrambled egg yellow', has been festooned with meaningless EIFS diamond shapes and pilasters, and a jarring skirt of precast stone veneer. outside of that, the building looks great!

the stupid thing is, i bet this place won't last two years...

jaborandi, LIMike, Stumack... that's the last time I take a stab at guessing a make and year of car.:(

College Park, thedeepend, adma... the Coffee Time that predated Eggsmart was probably as gritty as the original Village House.:)

Does anyone remember what predated the Coffee Time? And no, I don't know the answer myself.

November 19 addition.

Then: October 11, 1939. Bloor street, looking E from the N sidewalk, about 100ft E of Avenue road.

ser372_ss0001_s0372_ss0001_it151-1.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSC_0015.jpg

Sometimes I really wish I could live in that late 40s to early 50s era, seems strange, but I have an odd desire to exist in some sort of film noir age Toronto. There's a certain grit and character that seems so appealing, but I suppose it's natural to wish to be able to experience past eras. Today's world seems so cold and homogeneous in comparison.

Speaking of noir, Yonge looking north at Adelaide, 1930's:

f1257_s1057_it0042.jpg

I "Enjoy" that Coca-Cola truck in this pic...

Anna: Neat pic for those who are Coca-Cola fans! An interesting delivery truck
and billboard...now if I can read that license plate on that truck it may date this pic...

Stumack: 11/18 - Thanks for clarifying the Buick "Ventiports" - I thought that they were vents and not just side decorations...As you figured out I like classic cars
and I never mind looking at them anytime noting those two 1959 Chevy's...I also noticed the Cities Service triangle sign on the extreme left-they became CITGO by the end of the 60's. Thoughts from LI MIKE

Last edited:
Eggsmart is the new brand run/franchised by Coffee Time. Since duMaurier flavored donuts became out of vogue after the smoking ban; disgruntled Coffee Time franchisees looked to their master for the next great concept.

Back