News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Wow!

My first time here - I got here through "Toronto Before". Great stuff!

Here's my two cents worth: I collect postcards of Toronto from the period of about 1900 to 1920 (anyone selling that kind of thing - contact me!)

And I've got some "befores" that I think you all may like. I'll post a few here, and if you like them, I can post more.

So, how do I insert a picture from my file at home?

I think I figured out how to post, but only as an attachment. Are all of the large photos people post from a URL? Are they all Toronto Archives?

Attachments

• scan0013.jpg
    scan0013.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 389
I think I figured out how to post, but only as an attachment. Are all of the large photos people post from a URL? Are they all Toronto Archives?

Hi TorontoPostCards. Great and unique view of the island. I've never seen this postcard before. Postcards were mass produced and many have survived, especially King street, City Hall and Casa Loma scenes for some reason, but this one I've never seen.

To answer your Toronto Archives question: Yes, in the case of my postings, very nearly all are Toronto Archives.

Postcards.. I have a few too. Here's one:

P1010117.jpg

Ignore the watch; old Seiko watches are a hobby of mine and this photo is moonlighting today.

I hope this will inspire those of us who can to scan and post some more. Because. One day. Even the Toronto archives will run out of Then pictures.

Looking forward to seeing more of yours TorontoPostCards.

Last edited:
Automobile Racing

Are there any examples of automobile racing tracks in the city? I know of one. Anybody?
Friday nights was stock car racing at the Ex Grandstand. A quarter mile track around the outside of the football field. Brioux number 7 and Kelly number 4. After the races everyone went to the pits to mingle with the cars and racers. I think they brought in Indy Midgets once a year. I think they moved from the Ex to Pinecrest.

Would you know how to include a full-size photo in my posting? For now, all I can figure out is how to include thumbnails.
scan0018.jpg

Attachments

• scan0018.jpg
    scan0018.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 410
  • scan0015.jpg
    scan0015.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 353
  • scan0016.jpg
    scan0016.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 345
  • scan0017.jpg
    scan0017.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Postcards.. I have a few too. Here's one:

P1010117.jpg

Ironic that when I was a kid in the late '60's and early '70's I remember that as the "Bulova" tower at the CNE. So very fitting that you have a watch over the postcard, even if it is a Seiko!
:)

Friday nights was stock car racing at the Ex Grandstand. A quarter mile track around the outside of the football field. Brioux number 7 and Kelly number 4. After the races everyone went to the pits to mingle with the cars and racers. I think they brought in Indy Midgets once a year. I think they moved from the Ex to Pinecrest.

Pinecrest is what I remember. Went there in the mid 70's when I was a kid. The only thing up there today is the Pinecrest Motel. Mind you its been a while since I've been to 7 and Jane.

Would you know how to include a full-size photo in my posting? For now, all I can figure out is how to include thumbnails.
scan0018.jpg

photobucket is very easy, and a basic account is free.

1. create an account. 2. upload the pics you want to your account 3. copy the 'img code' that appears under the image and paste 'img code' into the UT message window. tiff's don't work, so they should be jpegs….

note: make sure the image sizes aren't too big. they shouldn't be much bigger than 1mb or you'll max out your free account quickly.

scan0018.jpg

Wonderful aerials, thank you, especially the two that show the first CNE grandstand.

Even though they are thumbnails and you have to click once to see them that's not an onerous thing. Goldie posts thumbnails too and I've never read a complaint. :D

Ironic that when I was a kid in the late '60's and early '70's I remember that as the "Bulova" tower at the CNE. So very fitting that you have a watch over the postcard, even if it is a Seiko!
:)

I may catch a rocket from someone for this but Traynor, did you ever recall the view a bit underwhelming? The elevator was always a long lineup; so, it's hot - its always hot during the Ex; you walk the stairs to the top, and looky look and it's time for an ice cream sandwich again.

The view at night was much better.

According to wiki:
The Shell Oil Tower (1955-1986) was later known as the Bulova Tower. It was demolished in 1986.
I think the name change occurred somewhere around 1980 as I remember it still being the Shell Tower well into the 70's.
shelltower.jpeg

scan0018.jpg

i was trying to creat a then and now using birds eye view on Bing maps, but I can seem to save a screen shot. Based on that 3rd photo, tt appears we lost a nice gateway feature at Dufferin.

No need, it's been "Mustapha'd". The Dufferin Gate was originally the main entrance to the Ex, and was torn down when the Gardiner went in.

ser71_s0071_it7972.jpg

DSCF1123.jpg

According to wiki:
I think the name change occurred somewhere around 1980 as I remember it still being the Shell Tower well into the 70's.
shelltower.jpeg

I may catch a rocket from someone for this but Traynor, did you ever recall the view a bit underwhelming? The elevator was always a long lineup; so, it's hot - its always hot during the Ex; you walk the stairs to the top, and looky look and it's time for an ice cream sandwich again.

The view at night was much better.

I stand corrected about it's name... To be honest I only remember the tower itself from childhood, not the sponsor. So perhaps when I was a late teen in the early '80's and noticed 'Bulova', I just assumed it was always called that!

And Mustapha, I agree, the view was much better at night. So was the aroma. In the evening when the breeze from the lake died down, all the smells from the concessions below, wafted to the tower and made you hungry! LOL

MMmmmm... Candy Apple.... *drool*

Back