News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Thanks thecharioteer,

There is a nice colour picture in your link.

Then. 1965?-ish Yonge looking S from Gould.

card00084_fr.jpg

Now. Sepetember 2010.

CSC_0567.jpg

I love that third picture! Aside from the cars and fashions, the "Then" picture almost looks more modern than the "Now" one!

thecharioteer, what a refreshing change from the black and white "Thens"!

And even those 1977 "Thens" don't seem that long ago, as many of those Yonge street businesses survived into the eighties; an era more of us can relate to.

Night time vintage scenes in colour seem to have an altogether different magic don't they?

moe45673, fashions... I note the young girl in a long pink granny dress - I'm reminded of the granny skirts and Frye boots the young things wore back in my dating days.

October 8 addition. This calls for another Yonge street night scene.

Then. March 9 1923. #1887 Yonge street looking N towards Davisville. The two story building in the distance with the peaked roof is still there, it now houses a Starbucks. (It was built in 1894 and was the General Store for Davisville Village. http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuildings_more.php?search_fd3=4539 )

1887yongejustsofdavisville.jpg

Now. August 2010.

CSC_0560.jpg

Hmmm, fried fish...

DSC_0694.jpg

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0693.jpg

I will be away from a PC and will resume posting on Wednesday Oct 20 just after midnight. I hope UTers have a nice Thanksgiving weekend.

The images of the Eaton Centre got me searching for more info on when it first opened and I came across a commerial that had this fountain at the south end. I have zero recolection and wonder how long it was there. From what I can tell it is where the elevators are now. Any idea when/why it was removed?

ec_fountain.jpg

Here is the commercial the image is from.

[video=youtube;X040EmKM6LM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X040EmKM6LM[/video]

Last edited:
Gigars at Simcoe
1931 - 2010

South side of Queen Street West from Simcoe to east towards University Ave.

5061877961_bd62f54be3_b.jpg

Could someone with access to a city directory, circa 1940, please help me find the address of the Wayne Pump Co?
I know it was on Eastern Ave.
That's where my father worked and I want to take a photo of the site as it appears today.

Could someone with access to a city directory, circa 1940, please help me find the address of the Wayne Pump Co?
I know it was on Eastern Ave.
That's where my father worked and I want to take a photo of the site as it appears today.

From BELL, TORONTO. - 1944:
WAYNE PUMP CO, 48 ABLE ST
'Phone, ME lrose 5725.

Or, could you be thinking of:

ATLAS ENGINEERING + MACHINE CO LTD.
14 Eastern Avenue.
'Phone, WA verly 3003.

Regards,
J T

From BELL, TORONTO. - 1944:
WAYNE PUMP CO, 48 ABLE ST
'Phone, ME lrose 5725.

Or, could you be thinking of:

ATLAS ENGINEERING + MACHINE CO LTD.
14 Eastern Avenue.
'Phone, WA verly 3003.

Regards,
J T

Thanks for your asssitance, JT.
I could have sworn Wayne was on Eastern - near Broadview.
There's a "Dibble" intersction but that's not "Able", is it?
I'll ckeck my Perly again.

There was a pump company on Eastern Avenue up until about 15 ? years ago; this could have been Atlas, if I am not mistaken. They were east of the street where the Turner School is.

Gileade Place, n/w corner, was their location.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
DIBBLE was/is a fuel wholesaler. The business on that lot preceeding them was CROWN METALS, a scrap dealer; forget his name. - Not to be confused with Sterling (first name) at the

n/e corner of Broadview + Eastern.

Regards,
J T

Back