News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Two views, a little bit to the south, prior to the extension of University Avenue south of Queen:

f1244_it8201.jpg

f1244_it7160b.jpg

A special request, Mustapha: how about a "Then" of this view?

f1231_it0340.jpg

Last edited:
This interestig site, noted on DonWatcher's blog has many interesting Don Valley photos. It may be of interest

"A presentation by historian Jennifer Bonnell provides some interesting insights into the history of the Don: http://t.co/PeLTiAR "

Continuing from my old batch.

Then

NE corner of Claremont and Crocker. August 30, 1911.

s0372_ss0003_it0002.jpg

Now March 2011. This was taken on the Canon A590IS that I mentioned yesterday at the meetup. Hopefully my LX5 can take wider better pictures =)

IMG_4631mod.jpg

Strange how that "slum dwelling" on the right had its roof flattened over the years.

Oh, and re the 1969 University shot: I wonder if those United Appeal banners are successors to the "crosses" I see in a lot of these 50s/60s views...

This interestig site, noted on DonWatcher's blog has many interesting Don Valley photos. It may be of interest

"A presentation by historian Jennifer Bonnell provides some interesting insights into the history of the Don: http://t.co/PeLTiAR "

On page 17.. the Don River covered in "suds" - one of my memories of pretty much how all the rivers in the GTA looked in pre-phosphate ban days.

Continuing from my old batch.

Then

NE corner of Claremont and Crocker. August 30, 1911.

s0372_ss0003_it0002.jpg

Now March 2011. This was taken on the Canon A590IS that I mentioned yesterday at the meetup. Hopefully my LX5 can take wider better pictures =)

IMG_4631mod.jpg

Hedges make excellent, no, the best - fences, in my opinion.

A special request, Mustapha: how about a "Then" of this view?

f1231_it0340.jpg

You mean a "Now"... right? But of course, the charioteer. June 2011:

CSC_0829.jpg

Any special reason for the request? :)

I was one of those who had read about Adam Beck in school but forgotten my lessons.

Anyways, here is the 'lowdown'.

"BECK, Sir ADAM, manufacturer, horseman, politician, office holder, and philanthropist; b. 20 June 1857 in Baden, Upper Canada, son of Jacob Friedrich Beck and Charlotte Josephine Hespeler; m. 7 Sept. 1898 Lillian Ottaway in Hamilton, Ont., and they had a daughter; d. 15 Aug. 1925 in London, Ont."

"Hydroelectricity generated and delivered by a crown corporation to municipally owned utilities at the lowest cost had become an Ontario institution that would outlive changing governments and passing ideologies. That had largely been Sir Adam Beck’s doing."

http://www.biographi.ca/009004-119.01-e.php?BioId=41923

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed that too lately--by surprise. (Did they finally work the bugs out this year? Hey--it happens)

While reading the above link, the thought hit me of the "Clare", family connection. AKA Clare Brothers Stoves.

"Founded by Jacob Beck, father of Sir Adam Beck, Clare Brothers Limited of Preston, Ontario, can trace its history back to 1840. The hiring of a skilled molder, named John Klarr, to solve a rather peculiar molding problem on a ploughshare resulted in a partnership of "Klarr and Beck". The partnership was further strengthened by the marriage of John Clare (a later spelling of the name Klarr) to the founder's sister." QUOTE from the web: Clare Brothers Stoves.

BINGO!

Regards,
J T

I have a Clare furnace - a Megasave 1 - about 25 years old - in my house. Time for a new one I think.

Despite rumours to the contrary, the sun blinds at the Four Seasons Centre are in good working order. Apparently, there's a wind-velocity-reading-thingy on the roof that lets them know if they can lower them during a concert or event.

They're on the outside? How innovative.

June 22 addition.

Then. 27 Sherbourne St. North. Built 1907 by Sproatt and Rolph [UofT Hart House, Eatons College Park] for the Gooderham family. Said family being responsible for a distillery of some repute in Toronto's early history in an area now known as The Distillery District. Additionally responsible as well for the Gooderham/"Flatiron" building on the triangular parcel of land at Church and Front.

I'm not sure why there are multiple front doors? Picture by wwwebster.

5323NorthSherbournec1910.jpg

Now. June 2011.

5423northsherbourne.jpg

It appears that those flanking front doors *may* have originally been flanking front windows.

Back