News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Nothing terribly significant today, visually speaking, but... a bit of retail mall mini-history:

Then. 64 Saint Patrick street, rear. 1938.

s0372_ss0033_it0435_zps6db7b5f4.jpg

Now. February 2014. We're inside the courtyard of the Village By The Grange Condo looking at one of the ground level units. VBTG is a low rise condo of about 35 years vintage. It may have some significance in the memories of some of us. When it was first built the condo had an indoor shopping mall at ground level. About 20 years ago these ground level units that you see here were built when roughly half - the south end - of the mall was redeveloped. Some of you may remember the eatery 'Ginsberg and Wong' which was one of the businesses affected when this redevelopment happened.

A small segment of the north part of the mall was left untouched and today is a mix of a handful of not terribly significant businesses and an eclectic and charming food court filled with OCAD students and, strangely enough, police from 52 Division from across the street.

At one time this small downtown boutique mall tried to vie with Hazelton Lanes. Dating couples would dress up to promenade here in the late 70's and early 80s. Now it's a quiet courtyard.

P2104754_zps38bc5a8c.jpg

Just thought I would add a few thoughts about the present food court. It's well worth a visit, it's makeup of mom and pop kitchens and seating layout is singularly unique in Toronto. A group of Anime figure collectors meet occasionally here too. Not at all like your Cadillac Fairview mall food court.

Last edited:
I was briefly involved in the demolition, and felt very sad to see it all go. I feel the same way when I think of what Ontario Place once was and is now.
Something of a comfortable feeling in these 70's public spaces, at least to myself. Must be what I exposed to at a certain age.

Quote: Toronto: Then & Now?
Posted by Towered: Where did that thread go?

We really must try to keep this delightful thread near the top of the page. Pitch-in everyone!

TNLeuty1958-2013_zps4ee0a507.jpg

^ What happened to Mustapha?
He still posts from time to time but said he has other commitments at the moment so his wonderful daily posts have stopped. He founded a really wonderful thread so let's hope he will be able to return to it sooner than later!

Someone posted this on r/toronto the other day, with the amusing title, "Construction on River and Gerrard is taking a LONG time":

6NGlBGL.jpg

(I didn't see it here so sorry if this is a repeat)

All these shots of the rail yards dominating lakefront Toronto is a punch to the gut of nostalgia, when I was a little boy and my dad would take me to Jays' games at the Ex. Taking the subway and streetcar, walking there, and the overwhelming sprawl of the railway always fascinating to a little boy.

I have the same memory with my dad. I was born in 1974 and I remember cycling down to the lake with my dad and stopping on the Spadina bridge (probably sometime in the early 1980s) and watching the diesel trains roll underneath. For years the smell of diesel from a car or truck would always remind me of the time I was standing on that bridge with my dad.

In 2009 I bought a unit in CityPlace and for the next 3 years would walk across that same bridge everyday.

Funny how things work out.

View attachment 28210
School photo ca. 1902.jpg
Bloor Street from the Park Plaza:

Postscript:

The first two houses in the 1930's/40's pic as they were in the 20's:

The house at 152 Bloor St. W. was The Presbyterian Ladies College at one point. My grandmother attended after graduating from Deer Park P.S. around 1900. The school photo is probably from around 1902. I haven’t posted anything in a while so have no idea why the pic I attached wound up above the reply...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...SpNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FTcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1487,5976730

Attachments

• School photo ca. 1902.jpg
    School photo ca. 1902.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,010
Love the real estate ad for "Jarvis Street Palaces" in the newspaper link.

Yes, that's a great link to The Toronto Mail of 1889 and the real estate ads are amazing.

The "Personal" column includes this ad for a possible drug dealer.

TheTorontoMail-homes-personal1889_zps1cd56db0.jpg

Back