8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm starting up a new thread to keep track of infrastructure projects that have been mismanaged in one way or another by the City of Toronto's various divisions as well as 3rd party utility companies and contractors. It's astonishing to see how bungled some projects have been, so this is a way for us to keep track of how badly managed a lot of projects are.

The first one i'll start off with is:
  • Kipling Ave (between Birmingham and Evans Ave). I cant tell you the number of times this stretch of road has been under construction over the past 5 years for one reason or another, and in my opinion this is this epitome of mismanagement, outright disorganization, and waste. Over the past 5 years there has been a combination of: Sewer rehabilitation, utility work, watermain rehabilitation/replacement, road reconstruction on this particular stretch of road which has led to various forms of construction taking place here every single year between ~2017 and 2023. The major road reconstruction project which took place around ~2020 if i recall correctly, was done as a direct result to address the amount of times Kipling was hacked up over the years which led to it being in such rough shape (along with the heavy truck trafffic). But just a couple years after the major reconstruction the city has hacked it up yet again.

They way things are supposed to work, is that they do dig up the road several times, and then do a major road reconstruction. It's planned that way, so you don't do a major reconstruction without doing everything else first.

What went wrong though? Why did they dig it up the most recent time?

They way things are supposed to work, is that they do dig up the road several times, and then do a major road reconstruction. It's planned that way, so you don't do a major reconstruction without doing everything else first.

Yes, the REAL problem is NOT City projects, it is utilities who suddenly decide they need new conduits or new pits. The work on Wellington, documented in the St lawrence thread, is a perfect example of the City TRYING to get all the work done by utilities and yet some (in this case Hydro) finding unknown stuff they had not expected and thus dragging the project out. In this case, the street was finally rebuilt in 2022 and 2023 and, so far (!!) is intact. I think the ongoing situation at KQR is also a City project (new watermains plus new streetcar tracks, getting held-up by 'utility conflicts'.

Of course, the City DOES screw up but problems with City projects are FAR more often delayed (or need to be redone) due to Utilities.

Once a street is rebuilt there is (supposedly) a moratorium on any digging but (as there must be) there ARE exceptions. The City is obligated to grant permits to utilities to deal with 'emergencies' - and the utilities count the fact THEY suddenly got a new idea as an 'emergency". The City describes their moratorium policy as: "A City policy that prevents non-emergency utility cut from taking place in a road surface that has been resurfaced in the past five years. This is done to reduce disruption to a community where work has previously taken place and to maintain the quality of our roads."

See: https://www.toronto.ca/services-pay...ruction/myths-about-construction-in-the-city/

In the case of Kipling Ave, the city completed the road reconstruction about ~4-5 years ago. Since that time they've gone in and done sewer rehabilitation (last year), and are currently doing watermain replacement along the same stretch of road which was reconstructed (according to TO INview). The year before that it was some kind of utility electrical work related to the Horner Transformer station, the year before that it was another project where I cant remember the specifics, the year before that it was another thing....you get the idea. And the thing is, these are fairly long stretches of road that have been closed off with various lane restrictions, not just spots here and there.

In the case of Kipling Ave, the city completed the road reconstruction about ~4-5 years ago. Since that time they've gone in and done sewer rehabilitation (last year), and are currently doing watermain replacement along the same stretch of road which was reconstructed (according to TO INview). The year before that it was some kind of utility electrical work related to the Horner Transformer station, the year before that it was another project where I cant remember the specifics, the year before that it was another thing....you get the idea. And the thing is, these are fairly long stretches of road that have been closed off with various lane restrictions, not just spots here and there.
Ouch - it's supposed to be a 5-year moratorium after a full reconstruction. Three years if it's just paving.

John st revitalization
Old Mill tunnel
Gladstone rebuild

Just the first few that come to mind. Toronto just moves incredibly, incredibly slowly for roads projects.

King-Queen-Roncy is top of my list (or does the list order sink to the bottom?). No reasonable explanation for how long it is taking.

The sequencing of work that forces bus operation on streetcar lines is a generic concern..

The bike lanes on Bloor in Etobicoke is a current example.

- Paul

my biggest disgust for roadwork is that they block off a lane for weeks at a time with NO WORK DONE.
also once they start work they rip up the road and they let it sit like this for weeks/months before repaving...
can they not stage their work so that everything is done consecutively in short order?

Last edited:
There are unquestionably management issues which have adversely affected some infrastructure projects in the City.

However, I think its important to pull things apart a bit.

1) Is the issue for a given project a 'contractor' issue? If so, is there a general remedy, or is this about banning one particular contractor?

2) The allotted time for projects once they start. I don't think one can describe a project that starts within a week of the date specified in the tender and which finishes by any date specified in the tender as mismanaged in respect of timing.
However, we may rightly quibble in some cases that the time allotted for work is excessive and this can create additional inconvenience to pedestrians/cyclists/transit riders/drivers/businesses etc.

There are ways to address this, but they are policy and financial decisions rather than contract management ones. (enforcement/oversight of contracts is management); but should the City impose 'Centre Court' hours on jobs? 12 - hours per day, 6 days per week

You can actually leave scheduling to the contractor, but the estimated time to deliver a project has to be based on an assumption of how many hours of labour per week will go into the job.

Equally, there is a tendency currently to schedule each agency/stakeholder to do their work completely independently on road reconstructions. So, as an example, you might see that Toronto Water will do watermains in 2024 on a road; in 2025 Toronto Hydro does work, in 2026 Rogers/Telus do their thing, in 2027 the City reconstructs the road.

The idea is to avoid having one group step on the other, and to have any delays from one agency/group not affect the other's schedule. However, the impact on cost and timing is substantial. Each contractor has to dig up portions of the sidewalk/road to do their work, then must patch that sidewalk/road when finished. The next agency/stakeholder then rips off some of those patches and creates new holes to do their thing, then patches etc. There's a lot of wasted labour in this system. There should be no reason that most contractors can't be a on a job site either literally at the same time, or at least in much closer succession. But that's not the way its done.

Toronto's tendering process is an unholy mess. This is distinct from the departmental/project design issues. Toronto opted to centralize most tendering, just as it has purchasing, real estate, 311 and so many other things.

I would argue, by and large, these centralizations have been failures whose costs equal or exceed their benefits. The centralized queues can take weeks or months to get a tender out, well beyond what was intended by the tendering department.
This can result in blowing up those carefully laid out consecutive work schedules and causing massive knock-on delays.

This is exacerbated by the need to tender even very small works, fix a curb here, a turning radii there etc. The City has lost much of its capacity to do that work in-house, and even where it exists policy may mandate going to tender. This can literally add months to getting anything done.

The City does have an accountability problem on projects. In general, one person or team leads a design, but there are overlapping teams due to the various silos I've noted above and in other posts. Once the project heads off to tender, it is often not clearly assigned to anyone to oversee. Purchasing managed the tender process, but often lacks the technical expertise to assure compliance w/the tender. This is a key problem in pulling tender processes out of their respective departments. That the people managing tenders may not be subject matter experts in the fields over which they hold sway. Tender rules/policies which may make sense for one department or project type may not make sense for another.

The City is aware of this, and is proposing changes to make one person/unit responsible for a project throughout its life. Good idea; I have some worry about how it will be functionally delivered.

The City has very little power over its own agencies. Toronto Water and Toronto Hydro (especially the latter) pay next to no penalty, most of the time, if they fail to start/finish projects on an agreed to timeline. If there's no penalty of any kind,
then why change?

The City has an issue with drawings...........so many projects find so many things under a road or within a structure that are not in line w/the City's records.

Something is true here, either contractors, private and public are making on-the-fly changes and not reporting them back to the City during construction; or the City has that information and is not using it to make sure drawings on file are up to date.

Again, accountability and penalties; the drawings need to be right.

Not helping is that the City sometimes has a finished design gather dust for upwards of 10 years as it gets bumped down the priority chain; it often escapes notice that others have done work in the intervening period between the project design and the tender.

Last edited:
I'm starting up a new thread to keep track of infrastructure projects that have been mismanaged in one way or another by the City of Toronto's various divisions as well as 3rd party utility companies and contractors. It's astonishing to see how bungled some projects have been, so this is a way for us to keep track of how badly managed a lot of projects are.

The first one i'll start off with is:
  • Kipling Ave (between Birmingham and Evans Ave). I cant tell you the number of times this stretch of road has been under construction over the past 5 years for one reason or another, and in my opinion this is this epitome of mismanagement, outright disorganization, and waste. Over the past 5 years there has been a combination of: Sewer rehabilitation, utility work, watermain rehabilitation/replacement, road reconstruction on this particular stretch of road which has led to various forms of construction taking place here every single year between ~2017 and 2023. The major road reconstruction project which took place around ~2020 if i recall correctly, was done as a direct result to address the amount of times Kipling was hacked up over the years which led to it being in such rough shape (along with the heavy truck trafffic). But just a couple years after the major reconstruction the city has hacked it up yet again.
It's such a piss off they resurfaced the road and all the patches are done terribly so they either sink several inches or act as speed bumps on a road with a 60 limit

My example of this is the Dundas E and Coxwell intersection. They began work to create a park on the NW corner and remove the SB to WB turn lane probably a year ago. Nothing happens for weeks at a time. It gets closer to being done but there's no way this should take this long

Reactions: PL1
There is rather uninformative City statement at https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...ntersection-improve-cons-update4-sep14-23.pdf

It DOES predict completion by November 31.
Obviously something went south. Though it's hardly crucial infrastructure - having been a waste of space for about 75 years now. The similar triangle further north at Coxwell and Upper Gerrard also took forever - but they did fire the contractor.

Part of the problem with the process is that for construction, it goes to the lowest bid. But the lowest bid frequently goes to the company that made an estimation mistake, or has a competence issue. In design and consulting work, they've very much moved away from this model. Less so in consulting.

Obviously something went south. Though it's hardly crucial infrastructure - having been a waste of space for about 75 years now. The similar triangle further north at Coxwell and Upper Gerrard also took forever - but they did fire the contractor.

Part of the problem with the process is that for construction, it goes to the lowest bid. But the lowest bid frequently goes to the company that made an estimation mistake, or has a competence issue. In design and consulting work, they've very much moved away from this model. Less so in consulting.
Don’t they usually go to the lowest qualified bid so they look at past history

Back