News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

That's right. In Statscan speak, Mississauga is its own CSD, or Census Subdivision. Every incorporated municipality in Canada is a CSD, though. If Mississauga separated from Peel (though I don't want to see that happen), it would get CD, or Census Division status.

I myself have less than 2 weeks left living in the Peel CD!

I say Pearson Airport lands become part of the City of Toronto.

You realize that Malton Airport was originally suppose to be the emergnecy and cargo airport for the GTA and that Island Airport was suppose to be the primary hub for the GTA.

It's ironic how things in Mississauga prosper and TO seems to always come out short.

Right! Send in the Toronto army to do this.

So they don't want to be part of the Toronto CMA, so what? Did you ever imagine that it actually might do Toronto good be reducing the overwheming middle class skewing of the suburbs?

Most people in Mississauga (and probably Brampton too) are actually working class. There is after all a very large manufacturing base in the city.

For instance, all of the StatsCan report regarding trade to foreign nations, and pretty much everything for business, is only organize by CMA. The City of Mississauga (as with most Canadians cities) want to know which foreign countries are recieving a majority of the products and services that originate in Mississauga. As well, all foreign investment stats issued for StatsCan will always list everything by CMA, never as indepdent cities.

Then I guess it just a simple matter of getting StatsCan make these CMA-only statistics available for individuals cities as well? Asking that Mississauga secede from the Toronto CMA is just ridiculous and is going way too far. CMAs are defined by function and Mississauga is too closely related to Toronto in this way to be separate.

This article does a good job of making Mississaugans look like delusional, whiny egomaniacs.

There are things Mississauga is and things it is not. It is undeniably a suburb, and it should reconcile itself with that.

There are lots of reports issues that have nothing to do with this and aren't accessible to a city. (ie. foreign investment, money transfered within a city, etc.)

Thx for this clarification jeicow...so all Hazel is asking for is a little refinement in the data sort, and suddenly she is branded as a whiney, delusional egomaniac?

Come on, folks....:(

Most people in Mississauga (and probably Brampton too) are actually working class.

Banking executives work, too. They make more than a middle class income.

It's ironic how things in Mississauga prosper and TO seems to always come out short.

Yeah...Toronto just always comes out short :rolleyes

"Sure, we may share the same fashion sense and television shows, but we are very different animals and we'd like to be taken on our own merits, thank you very much."

I liked this quote. Everyone is home-town proud, but realistically is there really any significant difference between Mississauga and the old boroughs of Toronto and new regions of the 905 beyond arbitrary jurisdictional boundaries? The average person does not likely choose to live in Mississauga or Toronto or Brampton or Markham but a community where housing and work options exist that suit their fancy. People do however actively choose to settle in Canada or not in Canada, in the GTA or not in the GTA.

Next thing Hazel will go to the province demanding that the sky over Mississauga be changed from bright blue, Toronto's official colour, to something that reflects Mississauga's "independent" "identity".

Makes as much sense as determining statistics through politics.

This seems silly to me. Since they don't change CMA boundaries, I think they should A) be able to change CMA boundaries, and/or B) have a US-style CSA system with broader areas.

The thing is, if commuting patterns at the time CMAs were created dictated the boundaries, what if they have changed (which they probably have)? When were they designated for CMAs?

What we must do is break up Mississauga. For a suburb is has to much population and power under one city government.

The area of Mississauga east of Cawthra Road should be annexed to the City of Toronto.

The area south of Dundas Street between Winston Churchill and Cawthra would be a new suburb called Port Credit(just like the old times).

The area from Mavis to Cawthra from Dundas to the city limits with Brampton would be Mississauga.

The western sector would become to the new suburb of Meadowvale.

Its time for de amalgmation in Missisauga, and the time is now.

And then the de amalgmation of Mississauga would be a wakeup call for our other idiot suburb Vaughan to clean up their act, or get de amaglmated themselves.

What we must do is break up Mississauga.

That's neither necessary nor doable. What Mississauga needs is new blood... Hazel's been in power too long and seems to be losing it. I just hope she hasn't poisoned the culture of municipal politics to the point that future mayors spew this same nonsense.

*ahem* *ahem*
parrish.jpg

"Perhaps the best solution is an US-census-bureau solution: that is, allow for these separate CMAs, but also a consolidated CMA that would gather Toronto, Oshawa, Mississauga etc under one macro-apron. So, the best of both worlds."

I think there's a bit more more separation between Toronto & Oshawa than Toronto & Mississauga, physically and psychologically. Enough to justify the second CMA, I don't know, though.

As far as the overall GTA's concerned, how is Mississauga more than just Scarborough with an airport and a different mayor? If Mesa held an international design competition, should it be granted PMSA status?

Back