News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I read that the AMT is going to increase frequency of service with a more convenient link to PET airport. If this happens the West Islanders won't need the STM to extend the Metro to the airport and beyond. Most commuters from the airport would take the faster train rather then then the slower Metro to get to downtown Montreal. I believe the funding is already in place for AMT's own expansion plans. Here in Toronto we are going to connect Pearson airport with commuter rail as well. If the rail service is frequent enough, both cities would have rapid transit at there respective airports with such rail links in place.

I read that the AMT is going to increase frequency of service with a more convenient link to PET airport. If this happens the West Islanders won't need the STM to extend the Metro to the airport and beyond. Most commuters from the airport would take the faster train rather then then the slower Metro to get to downtown Montreal. I believe the funding is already in place for AMT's own expansion plans. Here in Toronto we are going to connect Pearson airport with commuter rail as well. If the rail service is frequent enough, both cities would have rapid transit at there respective airports with such rail links in place.

Tell me what you think about the fantasy map proposal though. Even in it, I don't have the Blue Line go further than Lachine but believe that a high-speed light rail link from this point would be satisfactory for airport users and local residents alike. Also branching off the Dorion-Rigaud Line after Point Claire would get mass transit to an untouched section of the West Island. Fairbiew is already a major transit hub and ignoring it for so long is truly a mistake. St Jean Blvd has the side-of-roadway space to accomodate a new open-trench rail spur.

I'm actually seeking some feedback from any Montrealers out there familiar with transit, especially in regards to the Laval loop which I feel needs to target four key commercial areas: Centre Laval, Carrefour Laval, Chomedey and St Martin in order to really alleviate commuters through that city. Closing the loop too early, as recent publications suggest, may overlook some of these key destinations. I also think that branching the Blue Line such that it reaches both Maurice Duplessis and Roi Rene would really provide relief to travel times through multiple points of the northeastern suburbs.

As for Toronto, I'm uncertain whether Pearson actually needs a rail spur entering its grounds when for less expense we could simply extend the Pearson People-Mover to Malton GO Stn, making it fully bidirectional and high-speed. More people would benefit from this as it'd include a intermediate stop at Orlando for airport area workers. The only thing needed then would be increased headways on the Georgetown Line. Making the Crosstown LRT a true rapid transit service by foregoing the section of the line west of the 427 and instead have the line route up to and across Dixon Road into Terminal 1, would also create a quick alternative for commuters. Why the MT Transitway cannot enter the 416 I do not know, for if it did it'd make the quality of the Crosstown service that more appealing.

I forgot about the People Mover at Pearson- could they intergrate that in with the TTC and Peel Region's transit systems?

When it comes to Montreal's development, I have always thought that the best thing Montreal could do is move the airport to Mirabel and free up all that land for development. The land alone would pay for a high speed link to Mirabel. And the land would offer an opportunity for some serious transit-oriented development. Forget a subway to PET. Shut PET down, develop the land and criss-cross it with LRT and have subway connections on the periphery.

When it comes to Montreal's development, I have always thought that the best thing Montreal could do is move the airport to Mirabel and free up all that land for development. The land alone would pay for a high speed link to Mirabel. And the land would offer an opportunity for some serious transit-oriented development. Forget a subway to PET. Shut PET down, develop the land and criss-cross it with LRT and have subway connections on the periphery.
Well that WAS the plan ... PET's plan. But then when it came time to open Mirabel in the 1970s, they panicked and decided to keep Dorval open as well.

I think this post is about 30 years too late.

Well that WAS the plan ... PET's plan. But then when it came time to open Mirabel in the 1970s, they panicked and decided to keep Dorval open as well.

I think this post is about 30 years too late.

Yet, they've kept the mistake going. They just have never figured out how to build and more importantly fund a high speed link. I would have thought that the sale of the airport lands would take care of that.

Sell the second busiest airport in the nation to raise money. Right after completing extensive renovations.

I really don't think the City of Montreal would go for that, and between the City and the board of Trade, they control the airport.

Sell the second busiest airport in the nation to raise money. Right after completing extensive renovations.

I really don't think the City of Montreal would go for that, and between the City and the board of Trade, they control the airport.

Yeah, I know the did the multi-billion dollar airport improvement program. At this point, I figure my idea is something for the really long term (20+) years now.

I am glad Montreal and the province of Quebec is investing the $3B in extending three of your subway lines. One question I have is all the money coming from the province. I know the Spadina extension to York U. and beyond here in Toronto is being helped with federal funding. The just completed rapid transit link to Richmond and the airport in Vancouver was helped with federal funds as well.

Are all of the subway extension being funded provincially or are they counting on the feds to pony up some money? This federal government has been very receptive to funding the different transit project they have agreed to here in Toronto and my old home of Vancouver. Hopefully Montreal and Quebec can tap into some of these transit funds the feds are handing out lately.

Are all of the subway extension being funded provincially or are they counting on the feds to pony up some money? This federal government has been very receptive to funding the different transit project they have agreed to here in Toronto and my old home of Vancouver. Hopefully Montreal and Quebec can tap into some of these transit funds the feds are handing out lately.
The days of massive federal funding of major transit lines seems tohave passed. The Vancouver and Spadina projects were funded a long time ago. More recently there have been very little federal funds forthcoming. Compare the recently announced $9.9 billion of funding for Transit City, SRT Extension, and Viva Expansion; $9.6 billion came from the province, and only $300-million came from the feds. At that ratio, Montreal could expect what, a $90-million contribution? Though it will be late 2012 before they are even ready to ask for the money ... who knows what will have happened by then.

Does anyone have any info on what they plan to do with Longueuil Station before they extend it further into the South Shore? I am from the South Shore and I still care about the area. One thing is that if Longueuil is going to be a mid-line station with trains going in either direction is that this station is going to need some serious investment.

Since leaving Montreal, I have lived in a number of cities and I am getting spoiled by well designed stations such as Lionel-Groulx and quite a few stations here in TO. My wife and I have two young children now so we have strollers and such and am wondering if the accessibility of the new stations are going to be taken into account.

How many more threads do we need to discuss this in?

Building transit capacity faster? How? This "new" Montreal plan is now 55 years old! This is yet another rehash of the Line 3 plan. For reference, Line 4 opened nearly 40 years ago.

Thought it would be useful to try to unify discussion about the latest Montreal transit news in the new thread which it would be easy for UT people to miss...

Sounds like Montreal and Toronto have similar issues around "new" transit plans. But if Montreal were actually to get their long-hoped-for infrastructure built this way while Toronto dithers that would still be a result, no?

Montreal v Toronto "debates" are exhausting and, for the most part, it seems to fall into the "grass is always greener" category.

I spend a fair bit of time in Montreal and lots of friends and associates there.......more often than not, they look at our transit and say "we should do that"....so I find it funny that we here spend so much time being envious of their system.

I had dinner in Quebec City with a group of my Montreal friends last week....all they wanted to talk about was our "$30 train from the airport".....I let them yammer on for a bit about how great it is and how much they wanted one....and then brought the table to silence when I said "we no longer have a $30 train from the airport....no one used it so we converted it to a $12 train to the airport". They were astounded.

Really, both cities have their advantages and disadvantages....and the cities are different so it should not surprise anyone that the transit systems are also different.....looking at each other with "envy" does nothing but fill message boards.

Back