News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Up until 1939 virtually all color postcards were actually heavily retouched black and white photographs. So the earliest ones, especially one as heavily doctored as the Temple Building is pretty much hand painted....

As seen here:

EXT01359f-1.jpg

EXT01358f-1.jpg

There's also the "alternative universe" aspect of hand-tinted postcards in which the artist changes the colours of the buildings (i.e. Confederation Life below):

postcard.jpg

Another version:

View.jpg

Last edited:

I think this picture shows the steel framework necessary to support that huge A&A sign. It should be coming down in the next few weeks

aanda.jpg

Since they removed the Sam's signs quite some time ago, I had hoped that there was a plan to restore the buildings underneath. They sat there for a very long time and I was quite surprised when I saw them being demolished a few weeks ago. Any idea why it is taking so long? Was there a plan to keep them at one point? Once the signs came down there didn't seem to be much left to save.

Love those 70's images!

A few older ones, back in the hand-tinted days:

20100828-queens_hotel.jpg

ucfire.jpg

union.jpg

ontario_readers_first_book.jpg

remembrance1.jpg

St. Andrew's:

standrews.jpg

"This building at the southwest corner of Church and Adelaide streets dates to 1830-31. The architect was John Ewart, but John Howard added the tower and spire in 1840 and also enlarged the church. Its architecture captured a loose interpretation of the Greek Revival design popular in Edinburgh, the emotional home of Canadian Presbyterianism (and a city referred to as the 'Athens of the North' because of the quantity of such architecture in the Scottish capital)."

from http://www.toronto.ca/culture/howard_spiritual.htm

Last edited:

Back