News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It seems like the skyline barely changed from c. 1930 to 1965. Must have been a frustrating 35 years for skyscraper fetishists and urban development geeks (assuming they existed back then).

Last edited:
I'm sure there were skyscraper geeks back then. Not much for them in Toronto but New York and Chicago sure would have been heaven.

It seems like the skyline barely changed from c. 1930 to 1965. Must have been a frustrating 35 years for skyscraper fetishists and urban development geeks (assuming they existed back then).

The one decent-sized building I can think of off the top of my head is the 1951 Scotiabank building (27 stories). Then there was the poor Victory Building, which was finally finished in 1936/7 at a truncated 21 stories (down from the planned 26 stories) after sitting more or less abandoned and unfinished for several years during the Depression.

It's odd to think that as recently as the 50s, areas we consider key to the financial core (e.g. Front and Bay) had warehouses on them.

It's odd to think that as recently as the 50s, areas we consider key to the financial core (e.g. Front and Bay) had warehouses on them.

Or above-grade parking garages and surface parking lots:

York & Adelaide:

yorkadelaide3.jpg

yorkadelaide.jpg

yorkadelaide2.jpg

Even as a lamented loss, there's something about the Lord Simcoe that always, to me, seemed to have a hackwork quality--even if (according to Wikipedia) the Dickinson name was attached. It's as if some Deco-era squares decided to get hep with a lot of newfangled curtainwalling (in fashionable 50s green), but got the scale and details all off. (I suppose, it'd be as if Beck & Eadie waited yet another 5 or 10 years to resurrect/modernize John Lyle's Bank of Nova Scotia design down the road.)

Even as a lamented loss, there's something about the Lord Simcoe that always, to me, seemed to have a hackwork quality--even if (according to Wikipedia) the Dickinson name was attached. It's as if some Deco-era squares decided to get hep with a lot of newfangled curtainwalling (in fashionable 50s green), but got the scale and details all off. (I suppose, it'd be as if Beck & Eadie waited yet another 5 or 10 years to resurrect/modernize John Lyle's Bank of Nova Scotia design down the road.)

I think I'd have to agree. The H-shaped plan with solid end-walls had potential, but the symmetry weakens the design. The most flattering view was from the west as seen below, which minimized this aspect.

lordsimcoe2.jpg

The 1967 north view shows it at its most banal (could that central portion be a subsequent addition?):

f1257_s1057_it5668.jpg

LI Mike: This pic is labelled as 1967 but the cars seem much earlier; any comments?

Last edited:
As a side-note, that parking lot on the east side of University between Richmond and Adelaide, remained for decades:

1953:

I0005546.jpg

1959:

I0005652.jpg

"This pic is labelled as 1967 but the cars seem much earlier; any comments?" QUOTE LI Mike.

The four newest cars that I can see are two '59 Buick's, one '59 Pontiac, one '59 Chev, and one '59 Cadillac.

(How about that '54 something MG - TF!)

Regards,
J T

Thanks, JT.

That parking lot was, of course, the result of the land expropriations south of Queen in the late 20's for the University Avenue extension and the never-to-be-realized Vimy Circle:

vimyplan.jpg

VimyCircle23.jpg

tumblr_lj1rbazLdw1qbrmwko1_500.jpg

(Love to give credit to the artist of the last pic; any help?)

Last edited:
I think I'd have to agree. The H-shaped plan with solid end-walls had potential, but the symmetry weakens the design. The most flattering view was from the west as seen below, which minimized this aspect.

lordsimcoe2.jpg

The 1967 north view shows it at its most banal (could that central portion be a subsequent addition?):

f1257_s1057_it5668.jpg

LI Mike: This pic is labelled as 1967 but the cars seem much earlier; any comments?

Charioteer: With that thought I must answer that this is definitely not 1967 looking over the cars in the lot...
Late 50s/early 60s is the era...Imagine finding a lot of classic cars like this today...(keep dreaming,Mike-commenting to myself)...

LI Mike

Back