News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

There's something to be said about the recurrence of those yellow CIL Paints signs in these old shots (any still left in Toronto?)

From my new favourite website, the Toronto Telegram Photo Archives at York University

Miss British Motors 1966, by Dick Loek:

ASC06614jpgpreview.jpg

Eaton's Flower Display 1965, by Don Grant:

ASC04623jpgpreview.jpg

Church and King:

asc03371jpgpreview.jpg

Church and Adelaide:

asc03370jpgpreview.jpg

asc03372jpgpreview.jpg

http://pi.library.yorku.ca/dspace/handle/10315/580

Last edited:
What a small looking town.

One may get that impression from all the parking lots. These parking lots were products of that attitude in city planning of destroying the dense old city in favour the new office-dominated downtown and extensive suburbs connected by a grid of expressways. I don't get the impression of a small town, though. Hundreds of high-rises are visible with aerials showing a cityscape stretching as far as the eye can see. It was a city about to surpass the largest in the country.

It felt pretty big ( and sprawly ) when I arrived here in 1970, the year that photo was taken. Indeed, I recall going up to the observation deck of the TD Centre that year, and would have enjoyed those very same views. Toronto was a sparkling new city, with Modernist suburbs, and a rather dingy working class downtown that was about to be reinvented, that's all. The parking lots marked a half way point - the transition from declining industrial uses to the residential and commercial uses for those sites that have made the downtown so much more fun.

It has been said "Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond."

(For that matter, even a big fish in a big pond.)

Regards,
J T

f0124_fl0002_id0022.jpg

Ah, as "lost/unlamented landmarks" go, the Bell building aerial as a TD north-view foreground element...

Thanks, Mike. Here's another one as well as some views of the tower:

f0124_fl0002_id0033.jpg

I particularly like this one, since it shows just how dominant and different the TD Centre looked when it was first built. Look how relatively low rise the financial core was then!

Thanks, Mike. Here's another one as well as some views of the tower:

f0124_fl0002_id0033.jpg

I particularly like this one, since it shows just how dominant and different the TD Centre looked when it was first built. Look how relatively low rise the financial core was then!

Back