News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Moss Park and that army base on Jarvis are such a waste of space. They could easily put that army base in a multi story building and increase the density, with condos and apartments all around. Anything would be an improvement.

Moss Park and that army base on Jarvis are such a waste of space. They could easily put that army base in a multi story building and increase the density, with condos and apartments all around. Anything would be an improvement.

The crime is the building they tore down to replace it with that.

The crime is the building they tore down to replace it with that.

If I am interpreting the photos of Queen and Jarvis on the City archives site correctly, there was not "a building' on this site but rather a row similar to the row on the south side of Queen east of George Street and the north side west of Jarvis. Anyone have a photo of the Armoury Site in pre-army days? Not that I think the Armoury is either a good use of the site or a building to be preserved but ...

Last edited:
I'm not sure why there needs to be an army base in the centre of the city, but i'm glad it's not vacant. last thing this neighbourhood needs is another vacant building.

I'm not sure why there needs to be an army base in the centre of the city, but i'm glad it's not vacant. last thing this neighbourhood needs is another vacant building.

Are there a lot of vacant buildings ? I know there's quite a bit of retail for lease at the very least along Queen past the DVP.

I'm not sure why there needs to be an army base in the centre of the city, but I'm glad it's not vacant. last thing this neighbourhood needs is another vacant building.

It seems vacant. In all the times I've walked past this building, I've never seen anyone go in or come out. It seems deserted. Why not build a smaller base and use this valuable land for something more interesting or productive? I'm sure in time it will be redeveloped.

It seems vacant. In all the times I've walked past this building, I've never seen anyone go in or come out. It seems deserted. Why not build a smaller base and use this valuable land for something more interesting or productive? I'm sure in time it will be redeveloped.

It is used by the Reserve Army who do most of their training in the evenings and at weekends - it may seem vacant during the day - and probably is - but it is certainly used at other times. That said, I agree with Torontovibe that it is a poor use of a very central block and sooner or later it will be sold off and redeveloped. The armoury at Fleet and Fort York Blvd is actually rented from the City but I do not know who owns the Moss Park Armoury lands. Some info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss_Park_Armoury

Why have the army downtown? Someone has to defend this city and respond to disasters. Then again, if we ever want to revolt and become a low-tax, advanced infrastructure city state, it's better that they get it out of there :p .

there's quite a few empty storefronts between jarvis and parliament, as well as several buildings just waiting to be developed.

it would be great for this intersection if the Korman house project is coming back on the market

What happened to the Korman House? The building at the southwest corner of Queen and Sherbourne looks like the next Empress Hotel or Walnut Hall. It's a relatively substantial heritage block now vacant and neglected.

Last edited:
Money didn't work out. I believe the site was recently sold.

With the completion of The Modern coming this year, I'd imagine there might be some movement on the Korman House property.

Why have the army downtown? Someone has to defend this city and respond to disasters. Then again, if we ever want to revolt and become a low-tax, advanced infrastructure city state, it's better that they get it out of there :p .

Mayor Mel vs Mayor Ford, in other words.

Back