News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking at the news. A guy that has been living there for a week is thinking of leaving just because of one shooting. The people who say people from Toronto overreact to everything are right.

Planning to leave after one shooting? That seems Toronto to me so he fits in perfectly.

Yes, because so many Torontonians are fleeing the city, right? It is so typical in Toronto, right? Toronto is often compared to New York and Chicago, but perhaps it should be compared to Detroit or St. Louis instead, with all the flight is now apparently going on.

I thought though the inner core of the city is getting more whiter and richer though??

Unrealistic media slant.....

Absolutely the media paints a completely outrageous picture of Toronto being rampant with crime that's spinning out of control. Pure bullshit. With the exception of the random drunk or mentally ill person that's crossed my path and a few minor verbal exchanges, I have never seen or been the victem of crime.

The worst has been previous encounters with drunken idiots looking to prove to their buddies how tough you are. Always brave when you're in a group and can taunt someone with your pals backing you up. So impressed by this.

Back to the topic.

Toronto by and large is safe but people are getting the message that we're all hiding in our houses cowering in terror waiting for that home invasion. One of the woman I work with moved to Barrie years ago and has always talked about escaping the big, bad city and that Barrie is a paradise.

Ignoring the number of grow-ups in her area. Or that her husband is a deadbeat loser doing drugs with the neighbor while her kids are are getting in all kinds of trouble but she's convinced that everything is fine since moving up north....

People are pure sheep.....

Toronto has so few murders that the "most dangerous neighbourhood" changes every single year if one considers homicides the most important factor (which the average person does). It's interesting to compare murder maps like the one on the Toronto Star site. If you compare 2006 with 2009, the murder sites barely overlap at all. Most of the murders in 2009 in the eastern half of the 416 are along Kennedy Road, but in 2006, that same part of central Scarborough saw no murders at all...instead, areas like Malvern and L'Amoreaux and Flemingdon were a ring of murders around it. 2006 also saw a huge cluster near the YUS loop, but 2009 has seen no murders there.

CHICAGO - Homicides continued to fall this year in Chicago through September. This including homicides of school-age children, according to Police Department statistics.

Homicides fell 11 percent through the first nine months of 2009 compared with the same period a year ago, department officials said. Through Sept. 30, there had been 348 slayings, down from 393 for the same period last year.

Through Sept. 15, killings of youths between the ages of 6 and 18 declined by 14.5 percent compared with the same period last year. There were 47 homicides in that time period in 2009 and 55 total in 2008.

Last week, police Supt. Jody Weis trumpeted a 47 percent decline since last year in homicides involving youths -- but that figure included those between ages 9 and 19.

Absolutely the media paints a completely outrageous picture of Toronto being rampant with crime that's spinning out of control. Pure bullshit. With the exception of the random drunk or mentally ill person that's crossed my path and a few minor verbal exchanges, I have never seen or been the victem of crime.

The worst has been previous encounters with drunken idiots looking to prove to their buddies how tough you are. Always brave when you're in a group and can taunt someone with your pals backing you up. So impressed by this.

Back to the topic.

Toronto by and large is safe but people are getting the message that we're all hiding in our houses cowering in terror waiting for that home invasion. One of the woman I work with moved to Barrie years ago and has always talked about escaping the big, bad city and that Barrie is a paradise.

Ignoring the number of grow-ups in her area. Or that her husband is a deadbeat loser doing drugs with the neighbor while her kids are are getting in all kinds of trouble but she's convinced that everything is fine since moving up north....

People are pure sheep.....

So true. I remember a girl from Burlington telling me she's not allowed to go to Toronto because she says you always have to "keep your guard up". Yet she goes to the bars in Hamilton all the time. And I've walked through downtown Hamilton in the middle of the night and saw more sketch than I've seen in a long time.

^Of course. Everyone knows that Hamilton is more sketch than even Oshawa! oh my!

Speaking of these false notions of crime. Pickering-Ajax is rife with petty robberies of youth and shops yet I'll bet no one here in west Durham feels it's any less safe than in Toronto. People watch too much TV, methinks.

^Of course. Everyone knows that Hamilton is more sketch than even Oshawa! oh my!

Speaking of these false notions of crime. Pickering-Ajax is rife with petty robberies of youth and shops yet I'll bet no one here in west Durham feels it's any less safe than in Toronto. People watch too much TV, methinks.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But downtown Hamilton (or at least the part I lived in) was a movie set it was so abandoned. And one thing people don't really understand is that pedestrian friendly areas have little crime and not the opposite.

I've never actually bothered to look this up, but does Hamilton have more crime per capita than Toronto?

Hamilton has the 26th highest crime rate in Canada. Toronto has the 29th. More details here: http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/03/04/...ties-in-canada-overall-crime-score—by-rank/

I'm going to be really interesting to see how the Canadian media will spin the (likely) very low number of homicides in Toronto in 2009. Knock on wood, but we may have less than 50.

It really makes no difference. People who live outside Toronto hear about every single shooting that goes on and believe that all of Toronto is crime-ridden. You wouldn't believe the nonsense I've heard naive people who live in Oakville and Burlington say.

To be honest, I'd rather their type stay confined to those areas anyway.

Some naive person would say...

do mean "430?"

really, I remember people saying that people get murdered everyday in there area.

Okay there!!! Even in Jane and Finch area, you can't even average a murder there every 2-3 months this year. :rolleyes:

Well, the media is desperate...
Old people usually watch the local news and they are interested in scary stories.

Actually when I am downtown, the thing I am more worried about is getting yelled at by a stupid panhandler.

We should ban them, they just cause trouble. If much bigger cities can get rid of them, why can't we??? You know due to our views on this, we have become a panhandlers "mecca"...

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But downtown Hamilton (or at least the part I lived in) was a movie set it was so abandoned. And one thing people don't really understand is that pedestrian friendly areas have little crime and not the opposite.

I've never actually bothered to look this up, but does Hamilton have more crime per capita than Toronto?

A misunderstanding I should clear up.

In my circles, a place's "sketch" usually has little to do with crime, least of all crime of the violent kind.

As for my Hamilton-Oshawa comparison......it's little more than a tit-for-tat friends of mine who lived at opposite ends of the city had going on.

Sadly, I think people like the idea of "bad neighbourhoods" though because it makes them feel safe if they do not live there. Crime happens to "others" who live in "dangerous areas" and therefore it will not affect you in your nice safe haven.

I couldn't agree more. People think that they are safe if they stay out of neighbourhoods with bad reputations, and they in turn let their guard down, making them more susceptible to crime.

And I'm speaking from experience. I live in South Etobicoke, which is pretty shady especially during the summer when the students have left the area. I have a friend who lives at Dundas and Sherbourne and I've seen some pretty sketchy stuff going on there as well. So one night after working downtown I was having coffee with some friends around Yonge and Queen. Compared to some of the other neighbourhoods I hang out in, this one seemed like the least dangerous place in the world. Sure enough, a crackhead rode by on his bike and grabbed my purse. Had I been in one of the so-called "dangerous neighbourhoods", I would have had a tight grip on it, but because I thought I was safe I let my guard down.

Regardless, "dangerous" is such a grey area. Was I in danger when I had my purse stolen? No. Crime does not always go hand in hand with danger. Most of the dangerous situations in the city occur between people who are already involved in some way, through gangs or drugs or the likes. Stay out of that shit, and you're not likely to become a victim of much more than petty theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back