News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been to a lot of rough neighbourhoods around Toronto....grew up in Malton, spent a lot of time in the Eglinton and Dufferin area as well. However I think by far the roughest neighbourhoods in the Toronto area are in Rexdale - Jamestown, Mount Olive, Bergamot projects for sure! Seen a lot of shit happen around these parts, and was lucky to come out of a situation with my head on. Young and stupid...what can I say.
That area seems so tame to me. My friend lives there and says it gets kinda sketchy at night. Mind you, this is around Martingrove and Steeles. Not sure if that falls within the boundaries.

Yeah when I meant our homeless are mostly local, I meant they came from this Province mostly.

That area seems so tame to me. My friend lives there and says it gets kinda sketchy at night. Mind you, this is around Martingrove and Steeles. Not sure if that falls within the boundaries.

I lived just south of there for about 8 months back in 2005-06. Up Silverstone (I think it's Silverstone) from Albion. Wasn't bad at all. As for sketchy at night? Not in my opinion. Sketchy at night is East Hastings in Van City. The farthest north-west corner of Toronto is about as sketchy as me on a Friday afternoon, meaning, not at all.

I happen to be black (well, interracial). I also grew up in Regent Park. Guess what? I'm not a criminal! :rolleyes:

Seriously, when you get groups of like people in high density impoverished areas there is going to be crime. Unfortunately a lot of those areas have a high percentage of black people. And those who are causing the crime are still a small minority of those people, yet create a great degree of havoc.

Really, there are black people all over the city, judging by some of the logic here, should the crime rate go up every time a black person moves into Riverdale or Cabbagetown?

And really, the problem of crime within the black community is just as much everyone else's problem as mine. I'm about as far removed from a lot of the high crime areas as anyone else, and so it really doesn't affect me personally. Should I be somehow responsible because I share a skin colour with some of the criminals?

That said, crime within ANY part of the city bothers me, and it really doesn't concern me the race of the victims or perpetrators. It's a giant pet peeve of mine when someone says "This is YOUR community, YOU deal with it." Last time I checked we all lived in the same city, my community is not defined by my skin colour thanks.

I've never been there, but I would imagine the "sketchiest" part of Toronto *at night* is the semi-rural far north-east corner. There's basically no reason for anyone to be there and I imagine a lot of no good goes on out there at night. But I have an active imagination so maybe there's just beaches-dog-eating coyotes running amok and the occasional garbage dumper.

Last time I checked we all lived in the same city, my community is not defined by my skin colour thanks.

Sounds about right. :)

My community is defined by whether or not you like beer. Cause if you don't, you're a terrorist.

I've never been there, but I would imagine the "sketchiest" part of Toronto *at night* is the semi-rural far north-east corner. There's basically no reason for anyone to be there and I imagine a lot of no good goes on out there at night. But I have an active imagination so maybe there's just beaches-dog-eating coyotes running amok and the occasional garbage dumper.

Yes, Old Finch is really sketchy at night...not quite East St. Louis, but still fun. You can hear all the zoo animals yelling and moaning in the distance, drive over the one-way metal bridge, see creepy farmsteads and churches on hills, and you do pass plenty of cars filled with people up to no good. I recommend walking through Old Finch for the full effect, preferably on a foggy night with someone who knows lots of urban legends and ghost stories. Good times.

I just came across this interesting map.

http://spotcrime.com/on/toronto

The crime maps on the Toronto Police website are more accurate and more detailed.

Oh dear....um does hard cider pass? :D

One security certificate.....coming your way. :p

Speaking of Old Finch: there're some nice chill spots along the banks of the river down in that valley there. There, um, scary...yes, very, very scary. And dangerous. You don't want to go there.

I recommend walking through Old Finch for the full effect, preferably on a foggy night with someone who knows lots of urban legends and ghost stories. Good times.
I'll bet most people in Toronto have no idea what area is like.

It's a great daylight walk in the autumn but be warned -- no sidewalks!

well York University has serious security issues, you hear so many incidents...

Universities in general get a pretty good dose of violence, petty crime and just plain idiocy. My experience of York thus far seems to be that some of the people living on residence are the ones causing the most problems- if only because they are so inclined to drink mommy and daddy's money away before the winter term.

On the other hand, sexual assaults, such as the most recent one that received enormous press attention are common enough. Hopefully the security of this institution takes the hint and takes the time to develop a plan to make this school a better place.

Just looking at the news. A guy that has been living there for a week is thinking of leaving just because of one shooting. The people who say people from Toronto overreact to everything are right.

Just looking at the news. A guy that has been living there for a week is thinking of leaving just because of one shooting. The people who say people from Toronto overreact to everything are right.

No, they're wrong. And he just moved there? So then he's quite possibly not a Torontonian at all...

No, they're wrong. And he just moved there? So then he's quite possibly not a Torontonian at all...

Planning to leave after one shooting? That seems Toronto to me so he fits in perfectly. I remember reading something recently that people from Toronto believe that the police aren't doing enough to fight crime even though crime overall has decreased. Even if Toronto had 100 murders, we would still be the safest big city in North America. I live in Toronto so I know what I'm talking about. People here act like some areas can be compared to Compton. The stuff needs to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back