News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

When is the federal government going to be announcing Edmonton's housing grant money?

And what projects may materialize as a result?

When is the federal government going to be announcing Edmonton's housing grant money?

Someone mentioned Nov 30 here so maybe this week? It's weird that we never got a public number floating around similar to Winnipeg's when first applying.

Personally, I'm hoping that the grant money goes to downtown/transit adjacent projects and the occasional office conversion. That HAF money could be the massive shot in the arm we need for projects in the core. Pls City of Edmonton, if you're seeing this, use ittttt.

It was suggested to me that the money will be used retroactively to 'pay' for the zoning renewal project. Or perhaps some of the money. But basically into general revenue. Which will probably be used to balance the books (which is the cynic in me.).

^^Ideally part of it would go to incentives Downtown projects, yes.

It was suggested to me that the money will be used retroactively to 'pay' for the zoning renewal project. Or perhaps some of the money. But basically into general revenue. Which will probably be used to balance the books (which is the cynic in me.).

^^Ideally part of it would go to incentives Downtown projects, yes.

Sorry I'm missing it. I know what zoning bylaw renewal is but I'm not following how money would be allocated to it - for what purpose exactly?

Honestly you'd expect more no's and handwringing on this budget but everyone seems to have mostly agreed (except the usual two)

To pay for staffing costs etc retroactively. Just basically into general revenues.

I'm surprised this money could be used for retroactive staff costs. And at $175 million, it better be going to some specific housing projects.

This is a 'budget adjustment' year, as they are on 4 year cycles. So just to maintain services is around 7%, Calgary just did their adjustment at 7.8% with a bit of new spending on transit security.

Jennifer Rice voted 'No' as usual

In light of yesterday, I think its unfair to put that on her given she allegedly has no idea what is going on whatsoever.

Correction - Jennifer Rice's staff voted no lol

Yeah, the electorate made a few mistakes in 2021--the worst being voting out Bev Esslinger and Moe Banga.

Moe Banga was pretty much in line with everything Mike Nickel stood for and the two of them were the only councillors to vote against City Plan back in 2020 - the highly regarded city building document that has since guided Edmonton and made it a leader in eliminating no parking minimums, zoning bylaw renewal and building a more dense city that includes options to get around beyond just a personal vehicle.

Last edited:

Back