News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The "Streets to Homes" program is highly successful and I can't say enough good about it. Lots of cities are starting up similar programs now.

Apparently about 90% of the people housed by the program have remained in housing to date... which is the most encouraging statistic one could find, since it's about keeping people in housing (with necessary supports for maintaining and adjusting to their new lifestyle), not the sheer NUMBERS of people you get into housing. You can't just wave a magic wand and take these people off the streets- many do not want to be in housing, or cannot be in housing.
Streets to Homes seems to be the best thing we have yet, though, that's for sure.

Why don't they want to be ? I've neve really understood that - social / other medial issues ?

Why don't they want to be ? I've neve really understood that - social / other medial issues ?

Well it's terrifying to them. They are used to the streets and often no longer understand any other way of living. Not to mention the mental health problems, feelings of mistrust and paranoia they may harbour, etc... Old habits die hard!

I'm not an expert in it though. I'm sure there are many other reasons. But I guess I just picture myself if I was told I need to move out onto the streets when I have been used to living in housing my entire life, and I think about how scary it would be. It's like that but in reverse I guess. I suppose it's still just as scary, even if an irrational fear in some ways.

Last edited:
Well it's terrifying to them. They are used to the streets and often no longer understand any other way of living. Not to mention the mental health problems, feelings of mistrust and paranoia they may harbour, etc... Old habits die hard!

I'm not an expert in it though. I'm sure there are many other reasons. But I guess I just picture myself if I was told I need to move out onto the streets when I have been used to living in housing my entire life, and I think about how scary it would be. It's like that but in reverse I guess. I suppose it's still just as scary, even if an irrational fear in some ways.

Honestly, even with the mention of an increase in aggressive panhandling charges, I can say over 90% of all homeless I see are the most passive things ever (in a very sad way) and don't come off as a threat whatsoever ... even in a group. I'm sure there are exceptions and those should be handled ...

Having said all that a lot of people have the preconceived notion that any homeless person is a threat and steer clear ... maybe it's not that, maybe the act of seeing them or walking close to them exposes them to a reality they'd rather believe did not exist.

So when someone argues it's bad we let them takeover our parks I think it stems from this. But still, one can argue it impacts tourism and the like, moreover the perception of the those in the 905 and outer 416 who visit downtown.

So maybe something needs to be done ....

I'll tell you though, maybe it's just me, I feel like there are way less homeless people, particular in the summer !! then there were 5 years ago

when i went downtown a few years back(which was very rare unfortunatly)....... i was in my glory, walking in the financial district.... just taking it all in.... and as im coming up to an alley.... i hear a car from behind honk.... i stop and look to see if he wants to turn into the alley..... what do ya know... he does.....i let him in and i cross the alleyway and a homeless person comes up to me and starts going on about how i should be more confident and i should have ignored the man driving..... i was kinda creeped out behind my smile, laughs and excuses..... and i just though now..... if he wasnt homeless.... if he was a business man..... would i have been a little creped out..... maybe... but im guessing not as much........................ i dont exactly know why i revealed this but for some reason i though it was necessary.......

People with severe cases of mental illness such as schizophrenia for example have their brains wired differently, that's the best I can describe it (not having it, but being closely exposed to people who do). Many with schizophrenia can live relatively normal and productive lives through medications, socialization and support systems, and their illness may not be as severe as others. Schizophrenia is just one example of a host of severe mental illnesses that can be commonly found in larger cities where hospitals and social programs/agencies are available.

I'll tell you though, maybe it's just me, I feel like there are way less homeless people, particular in the summer !! then there were 5 years ago

I asked my roommate about a month ago, "notice anything different about the neighbourhood [Church-Wellesley] this summer?" and he said he didn't. For about the last 8-10 years this strange phenomenon occurs (perhaps in other downtown nabes too, I don't know) when young homeless youths suddenly show up by the hundreds and practically overwhelm the area, in September, they suddenly go away somewhere. I noticed sometime in late May/early June that it didn't happen this year, I have no idea why. Perhaps Councillor Wong-Tam has asked for increased police presence? I don't know. Even Cawthra Park, normally a mega-draw for these folks with noise and regular police raids is quiet at night, except after the bars break then the cruising begins. I've noticed that the usual plethora of drug dealers hanging around later at night are also nearly absent. It's good but strange because I don't know why things have suddenly changed so dramatically this summer. After I pointed it out to my roommate he mentioned it a week or so later and after observing the area at night (he gets home from work around midnight-1am) and he agreed that it's a very different scene around here at night this summer.

I'm really curious what cities like London, Chicago, and New York do to handle this ?

When I was in London I did notice homeless people - probably on the same order as I do here, but I can't speak to specific parks, particularly at night.

Overall all though it feels like are less in the aforementioned cities, but after a friend showed me some statistics there are many more per capita then we have here. I guess the question is where are they ?

Are there certain areas in other cities that are overrun with them ? You don't see that too much here. The largest concentration I know about is on Queen E past the DVP around a homeless shelter, but it's not even that bad there.

I'm really curious what cities like London, Chicago, and New York do to handle this ?

When I was in London I did notice homeless people - probably on the same order as I do here, but I can't speak to specific parks, particularly at night.

Overall all though it feels like are less in the aforementioned cities, but after a friend showed me some statistics there are many more per capita then we have here. I guess the question is where are they ?

Are there certain areas in other cities that are overrun with them ? You don't see that too much here. The largest concentration I know about is on Queen E past the DVP around a homeless shelter, but it's not even that bad there.

Chicago parks all have security (At least downtown parks) and they close at 10pm. Anyone who enters the park after curfew gets kicked out. Its not really going against the homeless, as they are more concerned about gangs and criminals using the parks after dark. The homeless, like everyone else are simply caught up in that initiative.

Bryant Park in NYC also closes (around midnight during the summer).

A lot of the homeless in NYC aren't as visible during the day, but at night they congregate in places where they are not hassled by the cops. Penn Station at night is one such place, as well as sleeping on the front stoop of vacant buildings, as well as churches, that kind of thing.

Speaking of Penn, there was a really good documentary about homeless people in NYC (Mole People as they are sometimes referred to) living in the underground train tunnels, called 'Dark Days' (2000). I'm sure some of you have seen it, if not, I highly recommend it. For more info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235327/

Speaking of Penn, there was a really good documentary about homeless people in NYC (Mole People as they are sometimes referred to) living in the underground train tunnels, called 'Dark Days' (2000). I'm sure some of you have seen it, if not, I highly recommend it. For more info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235327/

I saw that at the Bloor, it's a fascinating documentary. I saw a follow up on that film on 60 Minutes or something like that and most of the accessible areas in the unused tunnels are fenced or blocked up now.

I'll reiterate my statement about, this summer, it really feels like there are many less homeless (visible ...) throughout the greater downtown core compared to a couple years ago. This is during the day / early evening.

I've noticed in other cities there are many more at night, but a question, where are they during the day?

I generally don't walk through NPS at night, but when I did a month ago, it was filled with homeless people sleeping on every bench under the elevated walkways. It was a depressing sight to see. The square isn't meant to be a shelter or living environment.

Yes, Toronto has changed in ways that neither Viljo Revell nor Nathan Phillips could have imagined when it was initially decided what the Square was "meant" to be.

Back