News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

To be fair, bunny sandwiches is just as revolting an idea.

AoD

I don't know about that. Assuming we're allowed to stretch the definition of sandwitch, a little "rillettes de lapin" on a slice of crusty baguette sounds pretty good. I understand that kkgg7s comments come off as annoying, abrasive and judgemental, but should we really turn this into a commentary on what other cultures consider to be edible? I'm not trying to justify his posting style....just trying to say that comments about Chinese people eating dog don't really advance the argument at hand. Many of the comments thrown back at him seem to verge on the personally insulting.

ttk77:

Tend to agree, hence my quip about "bunny sandwiches" - one's delicacy is another's poison response (not that I eat bunny or dogs...I can see a vegetarian life coming my way, actually).

AoD

Where's the harm in a little innocent hyperbole?... from National Geographic no less! Ringling Brothers boasted the 'Greatest Show on Earth', right? Let Kkgg7 chew on that for a while while he nibbles on his puppy sandwich!

... and by the way, turkeys make for notoriously bad pets!!

westerns do eat veal, right? I don't see the different between that and a puppy sandwich.
by the way, sandwich? I don't eat sandwiches at all just so you know. I'd prefer dog meat cooked in a pot with hot sauce, particularly in the winter. Traditional wisdom says it keeps your body warm.

for those who think eating dogs is morally wrong, cattle do have emotions as well. They are capable of love and friendship and are able to feel love and sadness.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/07/cows-best-friends

Let's stop pretending that beef eaters are anything better than dog eaters whatsoever. Just because few people raise cattle as pet doesn't mean they are so differently from dogs.

Asian markets especially the ones in China, are widely known for their animal cruelty. Probably why they didn't make the list.

Not to mention piss-poor health standards, rude employees, unimpressive architecture, and overall unpleasant unattractive atmosphere.

Only reason people like to visit them is to feel how 'authentic' they are. Most westerners would be horrified if they had to rely on groceries from a Chinese market.

westerns do eat veal, right? I don't see the different between that and a puppy sandwich.
by the way, sandwich? I don't eat sandwiches at all just so you know. I'd prefer dog meat cooked in a pot with hot sauce, particularly in the winter. Traditional wisdom says it keeps your body warm.

I don't eat any of the above, so I reserve my right to say without any hypocrisy that it's a disgusting practice.

Not to mention piss-poor health standards, rude employees, unimpressive architecture, and overall unpleasant unattractive atmosphere.

Only reason people like to visit them is to feel how 'authentic' they are. Most westerners would be horrified if they had to rely on groceries from a Chinese market.

in case you don't know, life expectancy in Shanghai is 82.5 years, higher than Canada's average (80.9) Vancouver (81.1) and Toronto's (79).
I guess all these piss-poor health standards are not that damaging after all?

it never cease to amaze me how westerner have this irrational "we are so much better than you" mindset and they totally ignore the contradicting facts saying otherwise.

Haha...lmfao, you just made my day kkgg7!

in case you don't know, life expectancy in Shanghai is 82.5 years, higher than Canada's average (80.9) Vancouver (81.1) and Toronto's (79).
I guess all these piss-poor health standards are not that damaging after all?

it never cease to amaze me how westerner have this irrational "we are so much better than you" mindset and they totally ignore the contradicting facts saying otherwise.

I would expect a city where a much greater percentage of its population lives an active urban lifestyle to score highly on health-issues. Chinese cities (HK, Beijing, and Shanghai, really) have had better health at grassroots level than North America at least since the 1960s when my family lived there, too.

But surely you realise that when you look at the life expectancy of Torontonians you are including the poorest people in Canada in your sample, whereas in Shanghai you are pretty much singling out the richest people in a massive country.

My 'native' city is Santiago de Chile, where in the city proper life expectancy is 83+ years. Even if you factor in the slums surrounding it (poorest people in the country, once again), the number falls only to 80. The Chilean national average is 80. The Chinese national average is 73. The Malaysian national average is 73 (even though their gdp per capita is almost identical to Chile's).

For my standards, China's statistics are rather poor. So are North America's.

Re: Edit: Fair enough AlvinofDespair, but when someone uses a city with such stats as a model I think they must be pointed out. Large asian cities have such a strong onus on material success and remove people from their natural environment such an extent that the psychosocial health of their citizens is severely affected. This is very well documented.

Last edited:

Hmm, it is a bit of stretch to claim it, at least on this board... And, generally, it looks like westerners are much more open-minded in accommodating other cultures than vice versa. I did notice that you would never miss an opportunity to argue against any positive information posted about Toronto, whether it related to its culture, development, architecture, transportation, etc. Why are you so bitter? Feels like some sort of inferiority complex.

But surely you realise that when you look at the life expectancy of Torontonians you are including the poorest people in Canada in your sample, whereas in Shanghai you are pretty much singling out the richest people in a massive country.

Shanghai has a vast wealthy discrancy. The average salary is about $500 a month. Many retirees live on less than $200 a month and most new college grads make about $300-400. If you think Shanghai only has the richest people in China, that's not correct.
I am not saying Shanghai has better life quality, but that your condenscending comment about "piss-poor" health condition is overly exaggerating. You can't really expect to live 82.5 years on average in such condition. Otherwise, everyone would live 120 years old in Toronto.

Shanghai has a vast wealthy discrancy. The average salary is about $500 a month. Many retirees live on less than $200 a month and most new college grads make about $300-400. If you think Shanghai only has the richest people in China, that's not correct.
I am not saying Shanghai has better life quality, but that your condenscending comment about "piss-poor" health condition is overly exaggerating. You can't really expect to live 82.5 years on average in such condition. Otherwise, everyone would live 120 years old in Toronto.

I was referring to Chinese markets specifically, not to the city of Shanghai.

Hmm, it is a bit of stretch to claim it, at least on this board... And, generally, it looks like westerners are much more open-minded in accommodating other cultures than vice versa. I did notice that you would never miss an opportunity to argue against any positive information posted about Toronto, whether it related to its culture, development, architecture, transportation, etc. Why are you so bitter? Feels like some sort of inferiority complex.

I mentioned several times that I only object to these positive information when it is put in a gobal context (the best in the world sort), or compared with real alpha cities Toronto is not at par with. Seldom do I see posts saying we did this better than Dallas or Philadephia, where in most case I probably will concur.

Does Toronto have much that is "best in the world"? I have yet to find. I know for truth that Toronto is not the most diverse city in the world and vancouver is not the most livable in a global context. Yes, i may be overly critical but I think the forum needs different voices other than saying "We are so much better than all these American and Asian cities". Many people need to be pulled out of delusion sometimes.

Inferiority? No. I move to Toronto because it is more affordable, life is slower and that I want to get a Canadian passport. My biggest complaint about Toronto is it being too small and not urban enough, at least for my taste. Typical Inferiorty complex I see here is when you see Torontonians say "New York is a filthy shithole where nobody wants to live."

Back