News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

What is with these baseball-cap brims on high-rises. Are they brise-soleils? I can't imagine what they are for.... especially on the north side of a building. Anyhow I with they would get rid of them.

Also, it would be ideal if they would restore all three buildings and build a really tall, skinny tower between 258 and the Pantages, imo

The idea of adding height to the HNR building isn't inherently bad, but what a dull looking plan. That's the second Diamond Schmitt design posted today that looks like it was phoned in. I could see the appeal of contrasting the original buildings with a contemporary feel, or borrowing their language and responding to them, but this does neither and looks plain cheap.

I think they should keep the annex building! It would look just as nice if it were restored. I also agree that the new condo design is hideous, it has no imagination for such a prime area of the city! Something slim like One King would be better in my opinion.

I like the tower but we are slowly losing all character in Toronto and need to save what little we have left!

This building should be saved. Any idea how to find out when this building will go to committee or anything? city of toronto website is not easy to navigate. And the new building definitely has no imagination... its a dime a dozen:cool:

They should most certainly try to retain as much of 258 as possible. What a shame that they are considering removing it.

Go figure, we only have 12444523453 parking lots and open fields to fill.

It's not only the "famous" historic buildings that give the city streets their charactier, it's the smaller, less noticeable buildings like the 258 Victoria building that bring different styles and variety to the streetscape. Take them all, out save a couple of bigger buildings and put a big tower in between and it all becomes King & Bay, where the block is totally dominated by one building and there's no life or character on the street. 258 Victoria isn't anything spectacular on its own, but buildings like this are worth keeping. There are other sites that have great potential for tall towers that are parking lot wastelands. Better to fill those. There are even some 70s and 80s creatures that could really use a makeover and have a tall tower added.

I would want to see something much taller, and far more cutting edge in terms of design. Dundas Square needs a strong media/tech presence and this tower could do something to establish that more. I like that they are saving those buildings as they really help put texture and urbanity into the square.

If they are going to demolish that building (or everything but the facade), at least make it a supertall..

It's hard to tell what the tower will look like from just one vantage point, but the fact that they are finally getting rid of 258 victoria and the 2 storey low rise next to it is great. Real shame that such (historically significant :rolleyes:) junk still remains in one of the city's most important areas. Glad to see this proposal finally take shape.

It's hard to tell what the tower will look like from just one vantage point, but the fact that they are finally getting rid of 258 victoria and the 2 storey low rise next to it is great. Real shame that such (historically significant :rolleyes:) junk still remains in one of the city's most important areas. Glad to see this proposal finally take shape.

At least "the old junk" is on a more human scale... buildings these days just seem to be saying ... "lets piss on people because we don't care about you" ... restore the buildings... put up a slim super tall building in place of the two story... problem solved!!!! :cool:

Back