News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The streetcars are being built by Bombardier, a Canadian company, in Thunder Bay, ON, where presumably many Canadians will work.

My mistake they just looked so europeon to me they I assumed they werent a North American design. So are we losing seats on these new streetcars just like we lose with low floor buses?

The streetcars are much longer and have a much higher capacity than the current streetcars (even the articulated ones) so... no?

I know you really want to find fault with these streetcars so you can rage about them, though, so keep trying!

I'm very looking forward to the new Bombardier streetcars. I love the streetcars they had in Krakow, and am pretty sure they were Bombardier.

I'm very looking forward to the new Bombardier streetcars. I love the streetcars they had in Krakow, and am pretty sure they were Bombardier.

They certainly will be a good temporary fix until the DRL can reduce the pressure on the downtown streetcar network. I think the biggest impact they will have will be the reduction in the number of required Para Transit trips. These savings could potentially run into the tens of millions per year. Of course, in order to truly be effective, the remainder of the downtown stations that intersect streetcar lines that are not already fully accessible (College, King, St. Andrew, and St. Patrick) will need to be upgraded as well. But overall, this is a great step in changing Para Transit's role from having to overlap certain TTC routes, to running a more 'specific' service.

My mistake they just looked so europeon to me they I assumed they werent a North American design. So are we losing seats on these new streetcars just like we lose with low floor buses?

If you mean like the space taken up by the front wheel wells on the low floor buses, no, the smaller wheels on the streetcars allows for seats to be placed over them

If you mean like the space taken up by the front wheel wells on the low floor buses, no, the smaller wheels on the streetcars allows for seats to be placed over them

Well that is good to hear. I'll just never get used to low floor buses. They just look awkward inside them.

The TTC"s Service Summary September 5, 2010 to October 9, 2010, available online in PDF format at this link. It includes the new streetcars and light rail vehicles (and the Toronto Rockets) in their list of vehicles.

• Streetcar 4000-4199 CLRV L-1, L-2 195 1977-1981 Seats=42-46 Length=15 m Gauge=1495 mm A/C=1/195 UTDC/SIG/Hawker Siddeley
  • Streetcar 4200-4251 ALRV L-3 52 1987-1989 Seats=61 Length=23 m Gauge=1495 mm No-A/C UTDC/Can Car Rail
  • Streetcar — FLEXITY 0 of 204 2011-2018 Seats=— Length=30 m Gauge=1495 mm Low-floor A/C Bombardier Inc.
  • Light rail car — FLEXITY 0 of 183 2013-2020 Seats=— Length=30 m Gauge=1435 mm Low-floor A/C Bombardier Inc.
  • Subway car 5381-5766 Toronto Rocket 0 of 234 2009-2011 Seats=60-68 Length=23 m Gauge=1495 mm A/C Bombardier Inc.
  • Subway car – Toronto Rocket 0 of 186 2012-2013 Seats=60-68 Length=23 m Gauge=1495 mm A/C Bombardier Inc.

1 of the 195 CLRV's has A/C?

#4041 is the only streetcar with air conditioning.

In this video, you'll see #4041 at the 2:19 point. The streetcar has the A/C unit on top, giving it a different appearance on top.
[video=youtube;S93rMry5m90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S93rMry5m90[/video]

Last edited:
#4041 is the only streetcar with air conditioning.
Yes, we covered this earlier in this thread, both in 2008 and 2009. This is at least the 3rd summer that car (and no other has had A/C).

And I finally managed to get a ride on it the other day (well, one that wasn't in the middle of winter). And the A/C was working quite well! But the riders had opened many of the windows anyway ...

Are they even doing the CLRV or ALRV refurbishment? At one point they were supposed to do a refurbishment which would include A/C and the 1 CLRV was the prototype. At one point they changed the order that things would be phased out but I assumed that would still leave some to get air conditioners.

Back