News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That's almost a given, though 905 won't be won or lost just because of a highway.

AoD

Exactly. It won't. So really, this comes down to political traction in the outer 416. Places like Malvern where Raymond Cho just won.

Put the PCs in a difficult spot with a squeeze play: upload the highway and have it become a multi-billion dollar liability for Queen's Park or allow tolls.

I have a feeling if the mayor made that offer in a very sober fashion, the PCs would grudginly allow tolls after the election. But Tory has to get out ahead of this and make that pitch now.

And of course, it's doing the NDP numbers:

In the legislature, the party’s position was articulated by Gilles Bisson — an MPP from Timmins attacking tolls in Toronto on behalf of his northern constituents: “First off, I want to say that New Democrats will be voting in favour of this (PC) motion, because we, too, believe that citizens back home, our friends and our neighbours, are being squeezed.”

Ferreira was incredulous. “The guy from Timmins is the guy who speaks out on a Toronto issue?”

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...teran-cut-his-party-ties-over-tolls-cohn.html

Touche.

AoD

I have a feeling if the mayor made that offer in a very sober fashion, the PCs would grudginly allow tolls after the election. But Tory has to get out ahead of this and make that pitch now.
That is what I am wondering, when will be the most politically expedient time for Tory to make this play? As soon as possible? Closer to provincial election?

The tolls won't be coming into place until the latter end of the next election cycle, so we are living in an environment where people who would be outraged about tolls do not have it at the forefront of their minds yet. (Ala the Vehicle Registration Tax, which only became polarizing after people had to begin to pay it.)

Also it is kinda funny seeing that Tory has pretty much abandon the Ontario PC's.

That is what I am wondering, when will be the most politically expedient time for Tory to make this play? As soon as possible? Closer to provincial election?

The tolls won't be coming into place until the latter end of the next election cycle, so we are living in an environment where people who would be outraged about tolls do not have it at the forefront of their minds yet. (Ala the Vehicle Registration Tax, which only became polarizing after people had to begin to pay it.)

Also it is kinda funny seeing that Tory has pretty much abandon the Ontario PC's.

It's not so funny considering the OPC abandoned him for his failure to deliver as party leader (doesn't help when you couldn't even win a seat that another MPP vacated for you). Honestly, I wonder how much love is lost between "elitist" JT and the "rest of Ontario" PCs.

AoD

Last edited:
This is nothing but good news for the Liberals. A disenfranchised NDP vote will go to the Liberals not the Conservatives.

I don't share everyone's optimism that the PC's would cower to their corner in defeat. Pretty sure they would just claim if they were in power they would find efficiencies and build without tax increases. Tell people what they want to hear and once elected introduce reality

They are trying to shift to the right. I don't know if they think people who vote Conservative will vote for them. We saw the same thing with Mulcair in the federal election. As soon as he started shifting right, he dropped to 3rd place in the polls. Road tolls are ideas you would think would be coming from the NDP.

I always said the NDP is just a more honest version of the Liberals, and honesty is just not that important for those on the left.

In the past federal and provincial elections, the problem was that the leaders credibility was undermined by the extreme radical left. Those unhappy radicals were happy to switch their votes to Liberal, who themselves moved far to the left compared to the Chretien/Martin era Liberals.

Tolls (on Gardiner and DVP) unfairly punish those in NE Scarborough and NW Etobicoke - the poorest areas of Toronto. They do nothing to get people from Beaches, Rosedale, Forest Hill, etc.) to stop using their cars. Tolls are a political solution for Tory to maintain his support in the inner belt of suburbs, strengthen his position in the downtown, and abandon those outer areas where Ford won.

I always said the NDP is just a more honest version of the Liberals, and honesty is just not that important for those on the left.

In the past federal and provincial elections, the problem was that the leaders credibility was undermined by the extreme radical left. Those unhappy radicals were happy to switch their votes to Liberal, who themselves moved far to the left compared to the Chretien/Martin era Liberals.

Tolls (on Gardiner and DVP) unfairly punish those in NE Scarborough and NW Etobicoke - the poorest areas of Toronto. They do nothing to get people from Beaches, Rosedale, Forest Hill, etc.) to stop using their cars. Tolls are a political solution for Tory to maintain his support in the inner belt of suburbs, strengthen his position in the downtown, and abandon those outer areas where Ford won.

Ok what do you propose?

People oppose all these things but don't come up with anything which will match the funding.

Back