News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^I think your concern is at the heart of the matter. No one, not even Rob Ford and crew are arguing against transit expansion. It is the process and optics of the matter that matters. The shame and frustration of the whole debate is that everyone wants basically the same thing but disagreement and fighting have the real possibility of sidetracking or destroying the very thing that everyone wants.

As a driver who REQUIRES driving a car for work (construction) I fully support fees for use.
Why the hell do I get free use of roads when driving but not when I get on the bus?
...or train.
People's sense of entitlement sickens me.
No offence to anyone, but the baby boom generation can't get old fast enough.
If everyone wasn't so busy racking up personal debt like a bunch of drunken university kids they might see that solving the problem in a timely fashion is in their best interest. But, no, I "need" that 60" telly and that third car. And let's have some more children we can't afford to raise.
Collectively sick.

Despite the critique by doady, I just want to say that I think I love you. And though my household has three cars, mine which I bought myself is so seldomly used these days that I don't even think I've filled it up yet this year.

... mine which I bought myself is so seldomly used these days that I don't even think I've filled it up yet this year.
It was when I looked at the servicing records for my 2nd car, and realised that the majority of the km since the previous service were driving back and forth to the garage, that I realised it was time to get rid of the 2nd car!

Why the hell do I get free use of roads when driving but not when I get on the bus?
...or train.

You continue to enjoy free use of the road on a bus, your fare covers the cost of operating the vehicle only. Trains don't use roads free or otherwise.

You continue to enjoy free use of the road on a bus, your fare covers the cost of operating the vehicle only.
If buses used 100% of the roads out there, you might have a case. However only a very tiny fraction of Toronto roads have bus service. Can we simply eliminate the other ones then (of course not)? I'd be in support of more buses on more roads ... however there are some misguided folks out there who complain about improved local bus services when it happens to be going down their street!

What puts more strain on the capacity and maintenance of a road: a bus with 40 people in it, or 40 cars?

What puts more strain on the capacity and maintenance of a road: a bus with 40 people in it, or 40 cars?

I would say the bus causes an order of magnitude more strain. Look at the rutting that occurs on bus bays (and right lanes in industrial areas due to trucks).

If buses used 100% of the roads out there, you might have a case. However only a very tiny fraction of Toronto roads have bus service.
Huh?

If buses used 100% of the roads out there, you might have a case. However only a very tiny fraction of Toronto roads have bus service. Can we simply eliminate the other ones then (of course not)? I'd be in support of more buses on more roads ... however there are some misguided folks out there who complain about improved local bus services when it happens to be going down their street!

There are people in York Region against having a VIVA (bus) Rapidways to be built along Centre Street west from Bathurst over to where Highway 7 swings south to meet Centre Street. See this link and the rebuttal at this link.

Of all the options I prefer an additional 1% sales tax, dedicated entirely to both transit and infrastructure renewal.

I don't believe that personal car use should fund public transit, as far more than personal car users will benefit. If we all benefit, we should all pay.

Mississauga says ‘yes’ to most transit tax options, and fie on Ford

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...most_transit_tax_options_and_fie_on_ford.html

I think it's simple really: if all the tax revenue comes from the 905, and then all the tax revenue goes to the 905 as well. With the 416 in the picture, the TTC would get a disproportionately large share of the transit funding. Without the 416 in the picture, the 905 systems actually get a lot more money. And as a 905 resident, I am perfectly okay with that. More money for MiWay and GO; Toronto can go to hell for all I care.

Last edited:

Back