News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If St Clair 512 was allow to run at 50Km or higher, service would be a lot faster than it is today.
Why are they not allowed to run faster than they do?

Trolly poles?

What hat did you pull 1000 metres out of? About half of the subway stops are spaced less than 1000m.

Have you ever had a day when you just can't seem to type a coherent thought... You are right, there are a lot of subway stations closer together than 1000m, this is due to density and cost; denser the area then closer the stations or stops.

I made an assumption from all the stuff I have been reading, mostly based on the average distance between outer-urban major intersections in Toronto.

My mistake is that at-grade separated is not the same as fully separated. Sorry.

Originally Posted by spider

Trolly poles?

Nonsense, North America was covered extensively by Inter-city Electric railways that used Poles and ran a hell of a lot faster than 20KMH.

Trolly poles?

Nonsense, North America was covered extensively by Inter-city Electric railways that used Poles and ran a hell of a lot faster than 20KMH.
I don't think I've ever seen a streetcar operating at only 20 km/hr. They travel at the posted limit. 40 km/hr on my street; 50 km/hr on some streets.

The reason they can't run any faster is that they can't exceed the speed limit. Though I've certainly seen it happen enough times when it's quiet.

like other people said i think that road tolling is a great idea the 905 doesnt pay taxes to toronto yet so many of them congest the roads daily and use the cities services because they work in the core. tolling roads in and out of the city could make us a ton of money to put into transit and would encourage people to take transit so they dont have to pay the tolling fee.... make the fee different depending on the highway, maybe on a highway as congested as the 401 you could make the toll 1 dollar meanwhile on another highway you could make it only 50 cents. also you could get an easy pass like they have in the states if you are going in and out alot

Originally Posted by spider

Trolly poles?

The fastest interurban or radial (rural streetcar) was the Red Devil which ran (rurally) at 145 km/h (90 mph).

The fastest interurban or radial (rural streetcar) was the Red Devil which ran (rurally) at 145 km/h (90 mph).

That makes me depressed considering Toronto's state of affairs.

Well, apparently city staff did their due diligence and ripped it to chunks:

http://www.thestar.com/news/cityhal...ubway-funding-model-risky-and-unworkable?bn=1

There are other political problems in getting this past city council. To make this work, all new DCs (development charges) in the city would be earmarked for the Sheppard subway for the next 50 years, as would the TIF revenues. And the TIF revenues along Eglinton would flow to Sheppard.

“Say goodbye to that new community centre,” says Councillor Adam Vaughan

As expected, the devil is in the details - but 50 years of development charges from the entire city going to Sheppard? Is one for the lack of a better word - NUTS?

AoD

Last edited:
^Surely that's just a minor quibble. Certainly nothing that should derail such a well-reasoned, multi-billion dollar public works financing plan drafted by a retired suburban dentist.

After all, didn't 1940s/1950s Agincourt pay for most of the original Yonge subway? No? Well, I'm sure they would have if Toronto had bothered to ask...

Man, what did Toronto ever do to deserve these clowns? It's frickin' embarrassing.

I thought people would be pleased that we're looking at new sources of funding for transit. I guess some people will never be pleased.

Back