News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

DRL is needed but I hope the TTC continues to keep on improving what we have. I live in Scarborough and use Victoria Park Station mostly, and Warden Station and Kennedy Station as well (not as much though). I know the VP Station isn't even complete yet but I greatly appreciate this improvement to the station already- tranferring from bus-bus, or bus to train and vise versa is much more comfortable and easy then the old seperated bus platforms at the old station. I know that Kennedy Station is getting a major treatment as well and the SRT (soon to be LRT) is coming down to the mezzanine level as well as the Eglinton Crosstown LRT- these two LRT routes already have secured funding so Kennedy is going to much, much improved soon- this is a very heavily used station, the shared bus platfoms with the indoor waiting area is well designed already and I hope it survives Kennedy Station's overhaul. I hope that Warden Station loses its seperated bus platforms as well and a common, shared platform is constructed for this station as well. It is much needed, this design makes it easier to load and unload buses, especially some older friends of mine of limited mobility. This Station Modernization Program and other funds that improve the existing system is much appreciated and I hope the TTC continues this under Karen Stintz. I think it is as important as the much needed expansion plans I have read about.

I wonder though if redoing Victoria Park station which, while far from perfect, was still functional would be seen as gravy. There was probably ways to knock out a wall or two and throw in a couple of elevators and put nothing into aesthetics and ease of use and deliver the project cheaper. Ford has already pretty much said that the city doesn't have money for parks on the waterfront and other "gravy" because the city is (in his opinion) a financial basket case. Will the Warden, Islington, and Kipling makeovers go ahead?

I wonder though if redoing Victoria Park station which, while far from perfect, was still functional would be seen as gravy. There was probably ways to knock out a wall or two and throw in a couple of elevators and put nothing into aesthetics and ease of use and deliver the project cheaper.

*And*, it would please the B-D line aesthetic apologists to no end...

Ford ‘loyalists’ on new TTC commission

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/901585--ford-loyalists-on-new-ttc-commission

The new Toronto Transit Commission will look radically different than the TTC's outgoing board, the Star has learned.

The incoming members are expected to support Mayor Rob Ford’s desire to abandon the $8.15 billion Transit City light rail project and advocate for subways instead.

According to sources, only two city councillors from the David Miller-era commission will continue on the new edition, expected to be chaired by Councillor Karen Stintz (Ward 16, Eglinton-Lawrence).

Peter Milczyn (Ward 5, Etobicoke-Lakeshore) and Maria Augimeri (Ward 9, York Centre) will return to the TTC.

Sources say the nine-member slate includes Vincent Crisanti (Ward 1, Etobicoke North); Frank Di Giorgio (Ward 12, York South-Weston); Norm Kelly (Ward 40, Scarborough Agincourt): Denzil Minnan-Wong (Ward 34, Don Valley East); Cesar Palacio (Ward 17, Davenport) and John Parker (Ward 26 Don Valley West).

Losing his seat is Councillor Joe Mihevc, a passionate streetcar advocate and former commission vice-chair who supported George Smitherman against Ford in the election.

Mihevc (Ward 21, St. Paul’s) said he was told he’s out because of his support for Transit City, a 120-kilometre network of light rail streetcars that would run down the middle of major streets.

“I conclude that … the primary consideration is loyalty,†he said. “Loyalty to his agenda seems to be the primary commitment that the mayor is looking for, not public transit expertise or experience. Loyalty to his agenda means cancellation of Transit City.

“The indication that was given to me was that they want a strong majority on the commission to make sure the mayor’s desire to kill Transit City would happen.â€

Mihevc said Transit City had emerged through studies as a better, less expensive option than subways.

“We have gone through this as a city, we spent tens of millions to study the options and figure out the most cost-effective way to get maximum public transit and the best ridership and cost. This was the plan that came forward.â€

Minnan-Wong wouldn’t comment on the appointees, or confirm that he had been chosen.

“I really don’t have anything to say. I guess the striking committee will make their recommendations to council, so I’m just not going to comment,†he added.

TTC spokesperson Brad Ross said council is to approve new commissioners Wednesday. When that happens, they will meet right away to select a chair and vice-chair.

Stintz couldn’t be reached for comment but her office said she can’t confirm the new membership. Earlier this week, Ford named her as his choice for TTC chair.

There isn't a single councillor from the Toronto-East York council on the TTC?

Even though this part of the city has higher transit ridership than the other 3 parts of the city?

There isn't a single councillor from the Toronto-East York council on the TTC?

Even though this part of the city has higher transit ridership than the other 3 parts of the city?

Or did you ever consider that perhaps the people of Toronto-East York simply voted for the wrong cadidates?

....I know you'll take that seriously so I'll put in the caveat here that I am joking

Whether you be joking or not.

How can you create consensus in council, if you seem to be trying so hard to create division?

Whether you be joking or not.

How can you create consensus in council, if you seem to be trying so hard to create division?

I don't think Ford needs to reach a consensus really. He can get enough councillors to vote with him on individual issues if he learns to compromise somewhat, and they learn to compromise somewhat.

For example, I think Eglinton can survive with a compromise taking the at-grade sections off the road and either below, above, or to the side of the road.

His history in council shows he is not a compromising person. He voted against council, even on things that made sense, just to say the city is broke and can't afford anything. He is the guy whose example of waste ends up being passes given to councillors to access properties the city council is in charge of looking after and which costs the city nothing to provide, and free transit passes for blind people.

Really. What the hell. Now I have to question everything I thought I knew.

Edit: So yeah, Parker's on North York. No TTC members from T-EY. Awesome.

Last edited:
Bizarre ... you'd think they'd stick at least one Toronto-East York councillor on there. Ford doesn't have enough toadies to fill every seat on every board.

It's like he's going out of his way to create division.

Back