News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Krispy Kreme Takes Majority Stake in Franchisee Krispy K Canada with Plans for Store Expansion

October 3, 2021

The US owner of doughnut retail concept Krispy Kreme announced Thursday that it is taking a majority controlling stake in the Canadian franchised operations Krispy K Canada. As part of the deal, Krispy Kreme says that it is planning an expansion.

Krispy K Canada operated 10 Krispy Kreme locations in Canada in the Ontario and Quebec Markets. The Ontario locations are all in the Toronto area and the Quebec locations are in Montreal and Quebec City. A Krispy Kreme also operates separately in suburban Vancouver.

Canadian operating partners for Krispy K, Christopher Lindsay and Kelcey Hamaker, will remain as co-CEOs of the entity after the transaction is completed and will continue to manage the day-to-day operations of the Krispy K Canada shops.

US-based Krispy Kreme says that its investment in the Canadian operations reflects its confidence in the Canadian market. With that, plans are in place to open more Krispy Kreme storefronts in Canada while expanding an omni-channel strategy. The omni-channel strategy allows Krispy Kreme to reach more consumers by creating points of access across multiple channels, including its shops, e-commerce, delivery, and retail. The strategy is supported by what the company describes is a capital-efficient hub-and-spoke manufacturing and distribution model that enables Krispy Kreme to deliver fresh doughnuts daily to points of access through an integrated network of delivery routes.

UK-based eyewear giant "Specsavers" have entered the Canadian market and are planning significant expansion.

Moir said after the re-branding of the Image Optometry locations Specsaver will move to rapid growth.

“We aim to be market leaders in optometry by the end of 2024. We plan to open another 200 stores across Canada over the next few years,” said Moir. Trevor Thomas and David Bishop of JLL are working with Specsavers on the rollout.

Apart from opening their first Canadian location at Yorkdale in Dec 2021/Jan 2022, Japanese based coffee chain "% Arabica" will be opening within Union Station along the Bay Street Promenade spaces in 2022:

Kettleman's Bagel are opening their new location at Bathurst & Niagara in the coming months. While they also have plans to open up in the Yonge & Eglinton area as well in 2022:

Their obscure location at Alderwood plaza in Etobicoke seems to be doing quite well by what I've seen.

Bubbletea chain Chatime are looking to double their current 70 store count in Canada in around the next 5 years:

I can never decide whether to pronounce it "chat time" or in a more French sounding way, "sha-teem".

Le Chateau is making a comeback in a partnership with Suzy Shier:

The Le Chateau brand is returning to Canada this month under new ownership. The iconic fashion brand was acquired by Montreal-based Suzy Shier over the summer. A new Le Chateau website will launch this month and in-store distribution for the brand will commence in the spring of 2022.

On Tuesday November 16, Suzy Shier will relaunch the Le Chateau brand online with a ‘Glamour capsule’ consisting of a range of dresses and other formalwear for women. The launch will be available on the newly launched lechateau.com website. In early 2022, the spring relaunch will be available in-person in select Suzy Shier stores in Canada.

It is currently unknown if Suzy Shier will launch standalone Le Chateau stores in the Canadian market. Suzy Shier operates a network of womenswear fashion stores across Canada.

Wholesale Club, Loblaw's take on Costco, is opening a new location in Richmond Hill sometime in December:
Given how little Loblaw seems to care about this banner I'm surprised and happy that they are expanding again. They had been closing stores for a few years now, mainly smaller locations in Western Canada yes, but some pretty significant locations closed, like the one in Toronto at Rogers and Keele (which is now an Ample Foods).

They haven't revealed where they're opening in Richmond Hill, but I'm sure that will be public soon. I was hoping to see another location in Toronto. The banner operates in every major metro in Canada so their decision to leave the city made a big hole in their portfolio. Rumours say another location was going to come to Woodbine Mall (but given how screwed up that place is, it never happened) so it will be seen if Loblaw wants to bring Wholesale Club back to the city.

Wholesale Club, Loblaw's take on Costco, is opening a new location in Richmond Hill sometime in December:
Given how little Loblaw seems to care about this banner I'm surprised and happy that they are expanding again. They had been closing stores for a few years now, mainly smaller locations in Western Canada yes, but some pretty significant locations closed, like the one in Toronto at Rogers and Keele (which is now an Ample Foods).

They haven't revealed where they're opening in Richmond Hill, but I'm sure that will be public soon. I was hoping to see another location in Toronto. The banner operates in every major metro in Canada so their decision to leave the city made a big hole in their portfolio. Rumours say another location was going to come to Woodbine Mall (but given how screwed up that place is, it never happened) so it will be seen if Loblaw wants to bring Wholesale Club back to the city.

To be fair I would rather go to Costco. Nothing against Loblaws but buying presidents choice and no-name in bulk does not appeal to me in the least.

To be fair I would rather go to Costco. Nothing against Loblaws but buying presidents choice and no-name in bulk does not appeal to me in the least.
Indeed Costco is better, although Wholesale Club fills other niches. For example, I like to buy Nestea in 500ml bottles, at Wholesale Club I can buy cases of Nestea but unfortunately Costco does not sell that. As well, they have some unique products in the frozen section which are quite nice. It certainly appeals to my family as Costco does.

Having shopped at both retailers I find that Costco caters more to end consumer while Wholesale Club still offers more business products. Wholesale Club sells things like takeout trays, large quantitates of Ice Cream sundae syrup, cases of produce etc., all what a restaurant might buy, not necessarily what a household would buy.

Back