News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

T&T Supermarket is opening at Fairview Mall in winter 2022, and expected to occupy and chunk of their former Sears store space on the ground floor:

Side notes here:

Loblaws was a retail tenant at Fairview for years, but closed that store when they built the current one at Bayview Village.

So as a corporate entity they have a relationship with CF and this property.

Also of note is that Loblaws has been among those studying a return to malls closely; with mall landlords who largely eschewed grocery for a generation (at the Regional Mall level) coming around to the idea of having more pandemic-proof, reliable tenants who draw steady traffic.

I expect we may see more grocery in both CF and Oxford properties in the years ahead.

About time! As far as I'm concerned, all the clothing retail is exactly the same. The less of it, the better.

The argument against grocery in the regional malls was low-spin off traffic.

That people going to do their weekly shop for perishables were less likely to linger, shopping at the other tenants in the mall.

The evidence does broadly support this; there is certainly some spin-off traffic, but not a lot for the 'weekly' shopper.

However, that ignored the advantages of the reliable tenant, with less intense but consistent spin-off traffic.

It's also a way of thinking that comes from the era of mall's anchored by 3 department stores; where Toronto is now a market that really has only single chain, HBC in that space; with 'luxury' department stores and Walmart filling out the broader category.

But in the case of the former, there aren't enough of those to go around to all the larger malls; while Walmart has many of the same issues as grocery; and many mall tenants aren't keen on them as a competitor.

Side notes here:

Loblaws was a retail tenant at Fairview for years, but closed that store when they built the current one at Bayview Village.

So as a corporate entity they have a relationship with CF and this property.

Also of note is that Loblaws has been among those studying a return to malls closely; with mall landlords who largely eschewed grocery for a generation (at the Regional Mall level) coming around to the idea of having more pandemic-proof, reliable tenants who draw steady traffic.

I expect we may see more grocery in both CF and Oxford properties in the years ahead.

I remember Sherway having a Dominion when I was a kid. It even had some crazy conveyor belts that went right out into the parking lots!

I remember Sherway having a Dominion when I was a kid. It even had some crazy conveyor belts that went right out into the parking lots!
So did Yorkdale, believe it was a Dominion as well, with the conveyor belts and those plastic baskets......

So did Yorkdale, believe it was a Dominion as well, with the conveyor belts and those plastic baskets......

Sherway opened with both a Dominion AND a Loblaws!

While Scarborough Town Centre opened with Miracle Food Mart (later absorbed by Dominion, then Metro)

Centerpoint (born Towne and Country) also had a Miracle Food Mart.

Sherway opened with both a Dominion AND a Loblaws!

While Scarborough Town Centre opened with Miracle Food Mart (later absorbed by Dominion, then Metro)

Centerpoint (born Towne and Country) also had a Miracle Food Mart.
Wow, I don't remember a Loblaws at Sherway at all. Must have disappeared before my youth.

Morningside Mall had the same thing when I was growing up.

My grandmother had her groceries stolen there.

Wow, I don't remember a Loblaws at Sherway at all. Must have disappeared before my youth.
It was torn down in 1986 for the white Canopy expansion that used to be the food court. I don't recall the Dominion - where was that?

The argument against grocery in the regional malls was low-spin off traffic.

That people going to do their weekly shop for perishables were less likely to linger, shopping at the other tenant's in the mall.

The evidence does broadly support this; there is certainly some spin-off traffic, but not a lot for the 'weekly' shopper.

If the grocery store closes later than the rest of the mall, the shoppers could shop in the mall, then go to the supermarket after shopping elsewhere in the mall. i.e. mall closes at 9:00pm, the supermarket should close at 10:00pm (or even 11:00pm) .
Correct, that shoppers would not shop at the supermarket for perishables before going elsewhere in the mall.

Not directly a chain, although from my understanding it may be part of a group of stores with shared ownership. But otherwise just placing this here as mall related retail:

A Chinese grocery store called "Yours Food Mart" will be opening in the former Zellers, and also defunct Target store space on the southern end of Bridlewood Mall at Warden & Finch.

20211212_134959.jpg

Last edited:
Country Style have brought back mmmuffins at participating locations:

View attachment 369263

Honestly, those muffins are just disgusting. I cannot see how a Butterscotch Pecan or Cheddar Cheese muffin could be considered delicious. Even Dates are an acquired taste.

Honestly, those muffins are just disgusting. I cannot see how a Butterscotch Pecan or Cheddar Cheese muffin could be considered delicious. Even Dates are an acquired taste.

Oddly enough - as someone who is not crazy about muffins, one of the best sweet/savory ones I have had is corn; it's almost like cornbread - so tasty.

AoD

Back