News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Fine, more for the rest of us. 😁

I don't know, I wouldn't want to try Casu martzu for one.

AoD

Well thank you for making me look that up! 🤮

Since I know a huge range of culinary offerings from around the world; and that was new to me; I am forced to make others as off-put as I; we shall all blame Alvin!

From Wikipedia:

1639680457740.png

800px-Casu_Marzu_cheese.jpg

Wow, I don't remember a Loblaws at Sherway at all. Must have disappeared before my youth.

It was torn down in 1986 for the white Canopy expansion that used to be the food court. I don't recall the Dominion - where was that?
Rather late to this.

Dominion was on the north side, torn down before the Loblaws (which was a bigger, better, and more successful store. You'd get to the Loblaws from the mall corridors by going through the original Gourmet Fair. Before Sherway was a figure-8 shape, it was an S with the square in the middle and two short halls that led off the other points of the S. The Dominion was at the end of the northwest hall. I think it went at the time that the figure-8 completion was done.

Rather late to this.

Dominion was on the north side, torn down before the Loblaws (which was a bigger, better, and more successful store. You'd get to the Loblaws from the mall corridors by going through the original Gourmet Fair. Before Sherway was a figure-8 shape, it was an S with the square in the middle and two short halls that led off the other points of the S. The Dominion was at the end of the northwest hall. I think it went at the time that the figure-8 completion was done.

Your youthful vibrance is deceiving........who knew you remembered these pre-historic times! LOL

I was trying to dig up pictures of the original supermarkets at Sherway; I'm usually rather good at this sorta thing........

So far I can find pictures of every inch of Sherway as it was.........except the supermarkets!

Since I found others, I'll stick just a couple here, credit embedded in the image:

45702885_2305872732816031_3251346172136128512_n.jpg

45782263_2305875272815777_517892306217467904_n.jpg

45702467_2305876646148973_8013535433822568448_n.jpg

Look at how different it was............not just from today.........but from everything else.............

Last edited:
Your youthful vibrance is deceiving........who knew you remembered this pre-historic times! LOL

I was trying to dig up pictures of the original supermarkets at Sherway; I'm usually rather good at this sorta thing........

So far I can find pictures of every inch of Sherway as it was.........except the supermarkets!

Since I found others, I'll stick just a couple here, credit embedded in the image:

45702885_2305872732816031_3251346172136128512_n.jpg

45782263_2305875272815777_517892306217467904_n.jpg

45702467_2305876646148973_8013535433822568448_n.jpg

Look at how different it was............not just from today.........but from everything else.............

Those pictures are depressing.

Good Earth Coffeehouse is set to open locations at select Indigo bookstores across the country, as a replacement for some closed Starbuck spaces:

Never tried them, but I'm more than content see Starbucks go. Aside from general disdain for their product quality or lack thereof, their position inside many other chains (see Loblaws) strikes me as damaging for their brands as well. There's so much more you can accomplish either with your own brand, or working with a smaller (better) cooperative partner.

Never tried them, but I'm more than content see Starbucks go. Aside from general disdain for their product quality or lack thereof, their position inside many other chains (see Loblaws) strikes me as damaging for their brands as well. There's so much more you can accomplish either with your own brand, or working with a smaller (better) cooperative partner.

I found myself going to the Starbucks in Indigo more than I go to the ones in Loblaws. For me, it is more of a natural fit in Indigo in a 1990s coffeehouse sort of way.

That being said, Starbucks is a shell of its former self. I remember when they had leather chairs, coffee tables, etc. They were an actual café.

Now they are more of a fast food chain than anything else.

Having shopped at both retailers I find that Costco caters more to end consumer while Wholesale Club still offers more business products. Wholesale Club sells things like takeout trays, large quantitates of Ice Cream sundae syrup, cases of produce etc., all what a restaurant might buy, not necessarily what a household would buy.
They indeed serve pretty distinct segments--which is very obvious if you shop both. I don't know how much Costco's new business-oriented stores (kind of acknowledging their main channel is consumer oriented) are targeting the same food service clientele Wholesale Club serves. They converted their St Catharines store. I haven't been there to check it out yet given their even more restricted hours. My extended family that lives there was pretty miffed though as Costco flanked that store with two new builds but 15 -20 minutes away in either direction down the QEW.

So did Yorkdale, believe it was a Dominion as well, with the conveyor belts and those plastic baskets......
I think plastic baskets are going to make a big comeback with the coming prohibition of single use plastics.

Back