News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I seem to have survived weekly trips to my local Sobeys… haven't even lost any pearls from clutching them too tightly. But, yeah, what a hellscape! No one should have to see this!

View attachment 306506

The ones that are caught up on their reno cycle are quiet decent, if a bit too brown on brown.

But, there are a couple that are way behind in their reno cycles and got absolutely terrible lighting re-fits a few years ago.

They aren't hellscapes, but they don't have much in the ambiance department.

This is a pic of the inside of Sobeys Broadview (Todmorden)

1616101955863.png

Source: https://japict.com/P/CA/Sobeys-166587/

This is the west parking lot of Sobeys Danforth:

1616102116107.png

From Streetview

The Parking Lot on the east side isn't much better:

1616102194260.png

Last edited:
The ones that are caught up on their reno cycle are quiet decent, if a bit too brown on brown.

But, there are a couple that are way behind in their reno cycles and got absolutely terrible lighting re-fits a few years ago.

They aren't hellscapes, but they don't have much in the ambiance department.

This is a pic of the inside of Sobeys Broadview (Todmorden)

View attachment 306573
Source: https://japict.com/P/CA/Sobeys-166587/

This is the west parking lot of Sobeys Danforth:

View attachment 306574
From Streetview

The Parking Lot on the east side isn't much better:

View attachment 306575
Yeah, that one IS bleak. And yes, @Towered, they don't match up to the Maple Leaf Gardens style Loblaws, but the latest designed Sobeys are fine, just not stunners, 'tis all. You should be able to live through a shopping trip into one of them!

Yeah, that one IS bleak. And yes, @Towered, they don't match up to the Maple Leaf Gardens style Loblaws, but the latest designed Sobeys are fine, just not stunners, 'tis all. You should be able to live through a shopping trip into one of them!

The MLG Loblaws has gone downhill since it first opened. It went from boutique concept store to cookie cutter bleh.

I've never been a fan of the approach used at MLG. Too choppy, and I hate the orange floors.

I worked there the day it opened and they were trying to go with a modern look for a tired design. Prior to this loblaws was all about tiled floors and green railings along with dated decor.

I was at MLG last night and while I love their butcher section, I find the store has started to become stale. They really need to renovate after almost a decade (it opened in Feb 2012)

The MLG Loblaws has gone downhill since it first opened. It went from boutique concept store to cookie cutter bleh.

They have cut bank on the number of niche products.

I think that's unfortunate, and detracts from the store.

Gone:

Premium cuts of dry-age, Prime beef, in the display case.
Wagyu Beef (the real deal, as in Kobe-style)
Loose wild mushrooms 6+ varieties
Depth in the hot peppers category
Depth in certain ethnic/fruit and veg
Fewer niche dessert offerings, fewer interesting pre-made meals from the in-house chefs.

Sales are very, very high at that store; so sadly they aren't being punished for cutting the interesting stuff.

Based on the kind of number that store and the nearby Metro College Park pull; the area could easily withstand another full-service supermarket.

I worked there the day it opened and they were trying to go with a modern look for a tired design. Prior to this loblaws was all about tiled floors and green railings along with dated decor.

I was at MLG last night and while I love their butcher section, I find the store has started to become stale. They really need to renovate after almost a decade (it opened in Feb 2012)
Husband works at MLG, currently on COVID hiatus. I've spent a lot of time in a lot of grocery stores, was in the business for a whole lot of years.

They have cut bank on the number of niche products.

I think that's unfortunate, and detracts from the store.

Gone:

Premium cuts of dry-age, Prime beef, in the display case.
Wagyu Beef (the real deal, as in Kobe-style)
Loose wild mushrooms 6+ varieties
Depth in the hot peppers category
Depth in certain ethnic/fruit and ve
Fewer niche dessert offerings, fewer interesting pre-made meals from the in-house chefs.

Sales are very, very high at that store; so sadly they aren't being punished for cutting the interesting stuff.

Based on the kind of number that store and the nearby Metro College Park pull; the area could easily withstand another full-service supermarket.

I noticed yesterday that they no longer had Romanesque (think triangle shaped) broccoli which they had when they first opened.

What drew me to the store was their diversity of products but now I find they have the same selection as every other Loblaws . If I want good meat I go to St Lawrence.

Bluenotes has re-opened in an even bigger space in Dufferin Mall after closing their previous store there in 2019. Along with their recent return to the Eaton Centre, I'm somewhat surprised to see them expanding again.

Bluenotes has re-opened in an even bigger space in Dufferin Mall after closing their previous store there in 2019. Along with their recent return to the Eaton Centre, I'm somewhat surprised to see them expanding again.

They never gave up their store in Scarborough but that being said I am also surprised. They have always been on the discount end of jeans.

Back