News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes, and I am sure the poor don't get ghettoized when there is no public housing around either. Like all those lovely favellas, Tent City, etc. And charity-sponsored housing is often enabled through govenrment grants.

AoD

Last edited:
Public housing is wrong. I agree with Mr Ford. All it does is ghettoize poor people.
Wow. I'm stunned. What do you suggest instead ... that we simply let them live in city parks?

I suppose that simply increasing welfare payments might eliminate public housing though ... but do you think that's a better solution?

What endeared him most to me, was that after the event, when Joe needed to get home from the Beaches, he didn't consider driving or taking a cab. Instead I walked him over to Hambly and left the deputy mayor waiting for the Main St. bus to take him up to the subway.

It may have been genuine (who knows), but is more likely to be construed as pandering/grandstanding. We're far too cynical. Miller has been taking the freaking subway for decades and he's cast as an elitist by many detractors.

I'm glad he has the time to spend 1.5 hours on the street car....

FYI... you know that's all for optics right? ...

I was beginning to think I was wrong, but your ability to misquote and make up facts are Glen Beck-worthy. Thanks for redeeming my faith in your ilk, Freshy. I can almost hear your eyes starting to water in outraged love for your city.

Seems safe to say that nfitz is not on the Rob Ford team or that of anyone else either. It must be a terrible burden to be so much brighter than everyone else in town and have to remind us constantly how incredibly stupid we all are.

...sez the guy who modestly hides his own self-imagined intellectual superiority on a blog that he advertises in his signature.

Public housing is wrong. I agree with Mr Ford. All it does is ghettoize poor people. Now, charity-sponsored housing? Yes, that is good.

When looking at the grand scheme of things, spending money on public housing and homelessness can actually save millions of dollars for the entire system (primarily on health care):

Try reading Million Dollar Murray by Malcolm Gladwell.

All of you that speak of 'favellas' , projects... etc.. have you ever actually been in one out oustide of reading it in 'NOW' magazine or a 'Rio De Jenairo tour guide'?

We have a welfare system, a healthcare system, and programs to get people off the streets...temporarily.. it's not supposed to be a permanent ambilical cord.

I've never met the man in my life. I did send him a few emails though addressing my concerns, and he replied within a day or two. He just seems to stand for the same things that I do: cancel Transit City, build more subways, fix the road network, downsize the bureaucracy, privatize some essential services, slash taxes, build more affordable housing, create job programs for disenfranchised youth, etc. You know, things that make sense. I wouldn't go throwing stones in glass houses, btw, since apparently there's another reformed substance abuse user in this race.

Oh and Toronto already became the laughing stock of the country when Comrade Miller allowed under his watch, a 39 day long garbage strike in the height of Toronto's fleeting summer tourism season.

Fresh Start I don't know one person who disagrees with what you stand for, I'm about the same things. Its just that some people are offended because its Ford and not someone else.

ttcV5.jpg

Fresh Start.

This map was made by a poster on this website. I forget who, but if you obtain his permisson, send this to Ford in your next email to use as a platform for subway expansion

Attachments

• ttcV5.jpg
    ttcV5.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 234
Fresh Start I don't know one person who disagrees with what you stand for, I'm about the same things. Its just that some people are offended because its Ford and not someone else.
The issue is Ford's competence. It's all fine that he says all his things, but he hasn't given any details on how he would do anything.

How do you slash taxes - what get's cut? Most of the budget is the police and TTC.

How do you fix the road network?

How are you going to pay for subways?

Public housing is wrong. I agree with Mr Ford. All it does is ghettoize poor people. Now, charity-sponsored housing? Yes, that is good.

Except that urban planners are getting more creative and implementing socialized housing projects in mixed-income neighbourhoods so that ghettos don't errupt. Have you looked at Regent Park recently? They got their first bank. It was thrilling. Or maybe take a look at the plans for the West Don Lands.

The issue is Ford's competence. It's all fine that he says all his things, but he hasn't given any details on how he would do anything.

How do you slash taxes - what get's cut? Most of the budget is the police and TTC.

How do you fix the road network?

How are you going to pay for subways?

I honestly don't know, I'll admit that. Yes he does not have a detailed plan, which is why I still learn towards Smitherman.

Last edited:
I'm more and more convinced every day that modern right wing politics is simply about proposing simple solutions to incredibly complex problems. And then blaming someone else when things don't work out.

All of you that speak of 'favellas' , projects... etc.. have you ever actually been in one out oustide of reading it in 'NOW' magazine or a 'Rio De Jenairo tour guide'?

We have a welfare system, a healthcare system, and programs to get people off the streets...temporarily.. it's not supposed to be a permanent ambilical cord.

One day, try to live "temporarily" on welfare. It's actually impossible due to the paltry amount people get. I'm amazed that any human being can live on welfare. Unless we want to increase welfare while we get rid of subsidized housing, we are going to have a lot more people living on the streets and permanently incapable of rejoining the workforce. Homes are an essential requirement for work.

I'm more and more convinced every day that modern right wing politics is simply about proposing simple solutions to incredibly complex problems. And then blaming someone else when things don't work out.

We see the same sort of reduction of societal complexity into personal gripes and single issue advocacy among members of the NDP. I don't think it's a left or right thing, I think it's a problem when the political discourse moves away from the centre and towards the extremes. Have you ever read the political section of NOW magazine? It reads like the Sun - it's the same sort of naive anger that's misdirected toward an implausible, simplistic enemy.

The mayor "allow" a strike? Clearly, your understanding of labour law is rather limited in suggesting that the mayor can approve or deny the ability of workers to strike. And contracting out is no guarantee against the ability of workers under contract to conduct strikes against their private employers either, just in case you wanted to argue that one can avoid this issue if the service is privatized.

Back in September 2008, York Region Transit’s normal routes continued operations despite the fact negotiations between the amalgamated transit union and contractor Veolia Transportation broke down. York Regional Transit is a shining example of what happens when unions like the ATU lose their monopoly. While they will still be legally entitled to whine to their new employers, at least they won't be in a position to hold us over a barrel anymore.
Privatization can be both good and bad, but at least by having another option out there to offload some of Toronto's massive budget burden on, other underfunded programs such as affordable housing, road repair and neighbourhood revitalization can take some essential services' place. Maintenance, janitorial, and mechanics? Those can be contracted out EASILY. One may claim that we'd be privatizing our profits as well as our loses, but give me one example of where the TTC is actually profitable... and I doubt you could find one. What are these so-called profitable aspects of the TTC? Which routes are worth more than what they cost citizens and taxpayers-- including vehicle and fuel costs, maintenance, and salaries? The way the TTC is operated today, routes can never be profitable because buses/streetcars never run on reliable schedule and meagre efforts are being made by the transit authority to proactively expand the only mode that comes close to profitability. By contrast bus service along VIVA routes is highly dependable. I like Rob's thinking in this regard, the problem isn't the lowly transit or garbage workers that went on strike, it's the heads of the organizations. Bob Kinnear should've be fired for his incompetency and creating a culture of laziness and disrepect to customers on the TTC, but his union post protects him from justice. And contracting out garbage collection? Etobicoke already does this, saving the City $2 million annually.

People do not want government housing built in the city of Toronto. They want roads fixed, more police presence, but they don't want more government housing that will depreciate the value of their property.
-- Rob Ford July, 2005
AoD

Ford proposed offering rent subsidies to help move people waiting for a home into a private apartment building though, whereby the poor could occupy the many thousands of private units available. He also regularly visits Toronto Community Housing units with a bylaw officer to ensure repairs are being kept up. Furthermore he's a politcal backer of GTAA Partners in Project Green (http://www.partnersinprojectgreen.com/background) that aims to redevelop vast swaths of Northern Etobicoke, producing job opportunities for the poor and disenfranchised. As well Woodbine Live including some affordable housing units, which aims to give Rexdalians first crack at the projected 9000 permanent job placements coming to the area. With sustainable employment, a lot of people on the housing waiting list would be in a better position to afford their own place, allowing the most vulnerable at the bottom of the list to climb up in priority towards getting an TCHC apartment.

So I don't necessarily think that his trademark voting against the majority is really about dissenting against an issue raised, but in the how City Councillors propose to tackle it i.e. spendriftly, requiring hired consultants, running past deadline, offering no temporary solutions while the people affected are left to wait, etc.

Three months ago if anyone had asked me, I would've told them that I'm voting for Sarah Thomson. However, I feel as though if Toronto doesn't make a drastic enough change by shuffling up Council/Mayoralty, very little will be accomplished over the course of the next four years, residents will grow to despise their own city because it's not working for them or their community, and people will always wonder "what if?"

Trust me I did this for years after Jane Pitfield lost in '06. She promised 2 kms of new subways per year as now being copied by Rocco Rossi. People - the mainstream media really - questioned the veracity such a plan. The TTC skewed some numbers on a Macintosh that effectively outpriced and overvalued subway construction costs well beyond the industry standard or rate of inflation (see all of what Vancouver built in the period '06-'09 for just $1.9 billion or Montreal from '04-'07 for $750 million). Miller with the assist of Pantalone, Mihevc, Giambrone and Moscoe promised Torontonians the moon and the stars and people fell for it. Four years later, nothing's built, costs have ballooned and the people feel betrayed by our leaders.

Not saying Ford would be any better, but I've had my fill of Liberal/NDP local politics. I'm inclined to give someone else a try, see if they have the answers - not through well-scripted speeches, but by deeds. If Toronto truly is a democracy, a minority of hardliner left-wingers should respect the decision of a majority of vote-castors if Ford's elected. And if he's not, I won't lose any sleep over it... at least not til my house is repoed from all the outrageous taxes Smitherman probably would unleash on us.

Back