News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

To return to this...

... and the need for a sensible centre/right candidate able to kick Ford out of the race just got more urgent: Rob Ford is rising in the polls, a close second to Smitherman. Rossi and Pantalone are fizzling.

George Smitherman 34%
Rob Ford 27%
Thomson 14%
Rocco Rossi 13%
Pantalone 9%
Giorgio Mammoliti 4%

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontomayoralrace/article/819508--may-poll-had-thomson-ahead-of-pantalone?bn=1

...relative to the previous "Rob Ford in second" poll, wouldn't that be more flat than rising? Which'd seem to suggest to me that there's a definite plateau to his support--and, let me be honest: despite all the so-called "bad publicity" and "remind the people of what an ugly oaf he is", I wasn't necessarily expecting his support would skid from that previous poll, either. Such is the nature of his kind of populism.

True, the high-minded oppositional strategy is to "let Rob Ford be himself"--but it seems to be a little pretentious and even fueling-his-fire to expect that to shove him back down to a Nunziata/Jakobek level of support he, uh, "so richly deserves". It could just as well mean that now that he's in his mid-20s, he's going to stay there--just make sure that at least one of the others surfaces above the mid-20s...

This was the earlier poll I'm referring to. Smitherman, Ford, and Rossi are the same; only Pantalone and Thomson have more or less switched places.

At least going by the newer poll, I wouldn't be surprised if Thomson's eating into some of that "anti-establishment" impulse that's hitherto gone to Ford...

I think all you Pantalone supporters should jump ship and land on Smitherman's Lap...

No point wasting your votes!

The "Pantalone left" doesn't trust Smitherman--it's that old NDP-softy-vs-Liberal-bully negative dynamic...

I'm currently firmly in the camp that wants to vote for Pantalone but will probably end up voting for Smitherman just to stave off any chance of Rossi or Ford winning. I think this is the same strategy a lot of the Left will ultimately follow.

Sort of like what happened to Barbara Hall vs Miller + Tory in '03? Though I can still see Pantalone holding a lot more of his core than Hall did--and in a way, that's thanks to his being more firmly NDP-allied; whereas erstwhile NDPer Hall was already leaning much more t/w the fatally amorphous Smitherman/Glen Murray centre...

^Smitherman is my desperation vote, too. He seems incapable of making up his mind about anything in municipal politics, which I appreciate in a politician.

I am voting for Rob Ford to replace the speed-bump on my street that those construction workers dug up. I think he really has the qualifications for the job.

I'm currently firmly in the camp that wants to vote for Pantalone but will probably end up voting for Smitherman just to stave off any chance of Rossi or Ford winning. I think this is the same strategy a lot of the Left will ultimately follow.

Pantalone...Smitherman, what a shame.
shake1.gif
Left wingers with a plan..lol

Picture Ford up on stage at a launch event for World Pride in 2014, for example.

If Rob Ford agrees to a drag show at the world pride launch, I'll vote for him.

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontomayoralrace/article/817046#article

Rob Ford’s surprise popularity with voters has political left, and right, in a frenzy, setting off unlikely talk of a white knight to rescue Toronto.

What if?

That’s the favourite conversation-starter of armchair quarterbacks, talk-show hosts, and political pundits looking to stir debate, if not controversy.

What if John Tory jumped into the mayor’s race, ahead of Labour Day?

Pathetic IMO. This really is the worst mayoral race ever if we are begging Tory to come back.....

Back