News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ford is smart--keep your mouth shut on transit etc until all the other fools have spilled their unrealistic plans, then come in with one that looks great by comparison.

+1

That's precisely what I think Ford's doing. Let the media mull over and scrutinize the other candidates' plans for months, then by summer's end steamroll through with a fiscally responsible subway expansion agenda that'll appeal to most all Torontonians and that won't rely so heavily on Provincial/Federal handouts to make it a reality. That the Left thinks that Ford could come this far and not at all be concerned about transit users as a potential voting bloc is laughable.

That's precisely what I think Ford's doing.
I'd give Smitherman credit for waiting out Metrolinx, and then coming in with something that dovetailed into their fully-funded 5-year plan.

But Ford? Come up with a realistic plan? WTFF? He's already announced he wants to reduce bus service and eliminate street cars. A realistic subway plan - this I got to see!

From my lips to God's ears, I hope that you're wrong. Left-wing, right-wing, it doesn't matter. Everybody benefits from a subway line; a marginal few won't have to go out of their way to maximize the benefits of Transfer City. Only one candidate has emphatically denounced the streetcars-fit-every-transit-mode agenda of City/TTC from day one and has never waffled. That's who I trust will build subways.

That question is going to inevitably come up in the debates which is where most people will make up their minds and if Ford doesn't have a convincing policy on this subject, he's not going to go much beyond the sub-20% support that he has now.

Hi MetroMan,

I think that the other candidates are waiting for Ford, a well known goofer, to paint a rather large target on himself sooner or later. Failing that, there probably will be desperation moves among candidates polling lower, in effect a "block Ford" move. In the end, I expect Ford's level of support to stay exactly where it is (yes, I am going out on a limb here, nothing wrong with that). All of this may be quite unnecessary if Tory gets into the race, which he may do. Previously I wouldn't have backed Tory, but now I certainly would.

Two main considerations this morning: Ford is starting to campaign now, too soon. We got a taped telephone message from him last night and we hung up on it, of course. Secondly, I have noted that the established journals will probably editiorialize against Ford given what they have dished up to this point. Ford's jugular vein is well exposed, if under considerable padding - and the press will have fun finding it.

Last edited:
Spending caps are going to play a huge role in this election, as has already been mentioned. Rossi is already spending huge amounts, and now it seems that Ford is making a full-court press.

Well, here is some spin on Ford.

I was at his launch party ( I attended all three mayor candidates launch)
and Jim Flaherty was present. That's a pretty big endorsement - Finance Minister of the country?

The NDP are always asking money from the Feds, and quite frankly, the only ones I see will have ANY pull at the federal levels are FORD and ROSSI with all his federal ties to the Libs.

I realise it might nauseate you hard core dippers.. but expand your thinking.....

Miller/pantalone have no connections outside of City Hall, if anything, they've alienated the Provincial Government already. Ford (from his launch party) and Rossi do...

If you want Federal money.... I can't think of anyone else being able to do it... Yes, Smitherman would get the most out of the province.

Last edited:
It shocks me how Ford has gained popularity. He's looking to represent one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world and yet he has a notable history of racist and discriminatory incidents. I understand his fiscal discipline may be attractive, but there are stronger candidates with the same fiscal outlook without the embarrassing past. I can not see Ford leading this city into any sort of 'golden age'.

Why would Ford want money from anyone? Has he ever shown any interest in spending public money on anything?

It's about managing scarcity. The dippers think that continuing raising taxes by 'inflation' covers all expenses and everything is okay. This unfortunately, it not the reality.

You've managed to buy a place.... did you save up for it? plan for it? or was the downpayment a hand out from the wealthy conservatives from Oakville?

How is that for perspective?

Well, here is some spin on Ford.

If you want Federal money.... I can't think of anyone else being able to do it...

Can't you just see a Ford/Harper "summit"? It would take place in a drive-thru at Tim Hortons...

Cost-cutting? No! They obviously both love donuts.

It's about managing scarcity. The dippers think that continuing raising taxes by 'inflation' covers all expenses and everything is okay. This unfortunately, it not the reality.

You've managed to buy a place.... did you save up for it? plan for it? or was the downpayment a hand out from the wealthy conservatives from Oakville?

How is that for perspective?

I don't see how it's really relevant, but the place I just bought was financed completely by me and my girlfriend. We earn a very nice living for two people in their mid-20s. My parents, while fairly wealthy and from Oakville, tend to vote Liberal.

There is a world of difference between personal finance and a huge government, and these kind of absurdist "don't spend money you don't have!" talking points are really tiresome. It's not about giving everyone cushy handouts - it's about providing a baseline level of social service and infrastructure that will ultimately benefit everyone.

I don't see how it's really relevant, but the place I just bought was financed completely by me and my girlfriend. We earn a very nice living for two people in their mid-20s. My parents, while fairly wealthy and from Oakville, tend to vote Liberal.

There is a world of difference between personal finance and a huge government, and these kind of absurdist "don't spend money you don't have!" talking points are really tiresome. It's not about giving everyone cushy handouts - it's about providing a baseline level of social service and infrastructure that will ultimately benefit everyone.

Who's talking about not providing baseline services?
This election is about wasteful spending of Councillors, mismanaged projects that continue to miss budgets and deadlines, inability to plan for a future that includes transportation funding not revolved around handouts from different levels of government, but self-sustaining financial models.
It's about a government thats' been about rhetoric instead of results.

When did it become environmentally friendly to RIP up roads three times in the name of 'greener' transportation? How is spending 12 million dollars on a 40 bed shelter that's taken as long to finish as the Ritz Carlton tower more social serivces provided?

All great soundbytes but the cost and the outcome?

Back