News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Just read that Ford has challenged Adam Vaughan to jump into the race. That's pretty cocky. I guess he's looking to keep rival councillor from running again, so that he doesn't have to face them when he's mayor. I don't think he'll have to worry, because he is not going to be mayor. He gets bolder and cockier with every new poll showing him in the lead. A sure sign of an ego mania. He'll imploded by election day.

And if Jesus were in the race, he'd be three points behind.

The real significance of this poll is that even with Ford's faux pas of the last week, the undecideds have gone down and Ford's lead has gone up.

Nothing too surprising there - what's interesting is that apparently the poll also shows that if David Miller were in the race, he'd be the front runner.

WHAT! That's so bizarre. I was going to say that perhaps this election has nothing to do with "issues" or political stance - but rather, charisma.

Then I realized Rob Ford doesn't have any.

Actually, don't be surprised at how many of those "likely Miller voters" might be current Ford supporters; a little like the blue-collar NDP/Reform axis of old.

Which, in case the "soft Ford" vote comes to its senses, *could* bode well for Pantalone. Still.

Let's be honest with ourselves and accept that our next new mayor will be this clown. The voters that are supporting Rob are voting in anger of all the taxes. Where are the progressive people in this city? Have they all lost their brains to vote for this idiot? You think the city is a mess now, just wait until Rob cuts all those programs that no one uses or trims those streetcar or bus routes that no one ride all to fund cops that we don't need for the increasing crime wave that we don't have. Welcome to the dark ages.

I honestly don't think there's any reason to get all dramatic about it. Worst case scenario is that Ford gets elected, literally nothing happens for four years, and we end up with Mayor Adam Vaughan or some other left-centrist dude when the populist pendulum swings back toward progressivism.

But as long as Smitherman + Undecided > Ford, I don't think that's even a realistic outcome.

Actually, don't be surprised at how many of those "likely Miller voters" might be current Ford supporters; a little like the blue-collar NDP/Reform axis of old.

Yes, it's likely Ford is appealing to many of the "fed up with everything"-type voters that went NDP in 1990!

New Ipsos reid poll commissioned by National Post/Global/Newstalk 1010 - full details tomorrow - shows:

Ford 32%
Smitherman 21%
Thomson 10%
Pantalone 9%
Rossi 7%
Undecided 21%

Nothing too surprising there - what's interesting is that apparently the poll also shows that if David Miller were in the race, he'd be the front runner.

If Miller was in this race, I'd vote for him, in spite of the fact that I was pissed off about a few things. I'd forget all about that and without hesitation, bring Miller back. I really think he's the smartest of the bunch and he's probably the only one that genuinely cares about Toronto. (and Torontonians)

And if Jesus were in the race, he'd be three points behind.

The real significance of this poll is that even with Ford's faux pas of the last week, the undecideds have gone down and Ford's lead has gone up.

This speaks volumes.

So far, his ship isn't sinking and looks poised to win in the fall. Smitheman seems a distant second. And as one person has suggested, charisma gets you very far. I've seen it happen. Looks, charm and talent. Not necessarily in that order. I really don't know if Ford has any real charm or talent and cerainly doesn't have the looks. Why he's in the lead then?

Someone on the radio suggested that the other candiates just aren't resonating with voters and Ford simply looks better by comparison.

Last edited:
Let's be honest with ourselves and accept that our next new mayor will be this clown. The voters that are supporting Rob are voting in anger of all the taxes. Where are the progressive people in this city? Have they all lost their brains to vote for this idiot? You think the city is a mess now, just wait until Rob cuts all those programs that no one uses or trims those streetcar or bus routes that no one ride all to fund cops that we don't need for the increasing crime wave that we don't have. Welcome to the dark ages.

I'm kind of with GraphicMatt on this one. Worst case scenario: Ford gets elected and we have a totally gridlocked council where nothing will ever get passed and he gets absolutely no favours from the provincial Liberals. The inner suburbs will continue to decline (because the economic decline of postwar suburbia is a phenomenon that no one man - particularly one who can't make any friends on council - can do anything about) alienating the very supporters that put him into office; downtown will continue to be where the majority of investment in this city happens, and he will be forced to raise property taxes (if he wants to raise commercial taxes even further, he can watch the suburban 416 that voted for him hemmhorage jobs) to cover shortfalls from an uncooperative provincial government and the fiscal realities of running a city with an aging infrastructure in the centre of a growing region.

Rob Ford might end up being mayor, but I predict he will be a one term mayor with some of the worst popularity ratings when he gets the boot.

Looks like moving to TO is out of the question if Ford wins. *dramatic*

...hmm Vancouver?

I'm sure.. like what most people are saying, it will just be 4 years of nothing.

World Pride and the Pan Am Games.... can't wait for Ford to represent Toronto and Canada. Yay.

Back