News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ford has the advantage of being the only truly Conservative person one the plate and so all the other candidates are splitting up the central and left wing votes. This is what happens federally as the Conservatives get in because all the other parties are lefty wing, some more so than others.
Torontonians don't mind paying their taxes but only if they get the services they are paying for. Toronto's stupid "union rate or nothing" attitude for infastructure building is the primary reason why infastructure projects in Toronto cost so much more than other cities even ones that have higher wages like Calgary or higher real estate like Vancouver. His stand of getting rid of this is a good one.
Smitherman has lost support because he is incoherent and knows nothing about urban planning. His transit proposal is both disjointed and irrational but VERY political. It makes sure all areas of the city get a little something to get votes and the result is a pitiful attempt at improving transit. I think a lot of his supporters were taken a back by his bizzare plan.
Ford comes across as being bombastic, loud, and perhaps a little crude but I think that's what people want. After years of stagnation the citizens want someone to go in and rip City Hall from top to bottom and they, perhaps rightly so, think Ford is the only one who is not afraid of stepping on lots of toes, not afraid to hurt somebody's feeling and in general is the only one with the balls to do it.
As I have stated before, I believe this election has two main priorities for the citizens..................taxes/spending and transit.
The poll that will really matter is the one after he brings out his transit plan. If he can hold his lead after that poll then the election is his. I think the people who are undecided are going back and forth on a somewhat daily schedule but I believe that Ford's support is rock solid.

So..

I'm running for mayor.

I'll give you more subways.. after I cut taxes and ask the Ont. Libs and the Feds to pay for everything the private industry won't.

Vote for me?

I'm kind of with GraphicMatt on this one. Worst case scenario: Ford gets elected and we have a totally gridlocked council where nothing will ever get passed and he gets absolutely no favours from the provincial Liberals.
I really doubt the Liberals would go that extreme. Besides being politically stupid, totally ignoring their Toronto stronghold would open the door wide open to the federal Tories playing politics and giving Ford some help (and some have speculated they will if he's elected).

This poll is certainly interesting and great news for Ford, but far from definitive. Let's see what the polls say after Labour Day when more people are paying attention to the race. But if it's more of the same four of five weeks from now, the job is Ford's.

Anyone else get an invitation in the mail from the Smitherman campaign to attend an upcoming fundraiser?

Rob Ford might end up being mayor, but I predict he will be a one term mayor with some of the worst popularity ratings when he gets the boot.

Somehow, I can see this being the mayoral-electoral equivalent of bumbling into a marriage where hubby proceeds to beat the crap out of you practically from honeymoon night--and it isn't like you haven't been warned, either...

I believe that the poll was done a bit too soon after more revelations of Ford's foibles, time is needed for the news to seep out. I still expect Ford's numbers to drop.

What to expect?

- Some (or all) of the "main" candidates who are polling poorly may drop out, allowing Smitherman and Ford to go head to head.
- The Star and The Globe and Mail will probably go on major Anti-Ford offensives.

September is the time when those who vote will start to take things seriously and look at the issues.

Not denying that Ford could end up mayor, though, and we would then have a four-year period in which no initiatives are tackled whatsoever ... we've been through that before and somehow we've survived. I'm not the type who would move elsewhere just because we have a stupid mayor, my history proves that. The pitiful part of this scenario, however, is that there are major problems in Toronto (uhm, those problems involve, shall we say, just getting around). Ford is just the type to band-aid the situation.

Last edited:
An interesting quote from the Star today about Rossi's struggling campaign:

Meanwhile, with the poll showing Rossi struggling to crack double digits, campaign manager Sachin Aggarwal has been removed. Bernie Morton has been named as replacement. Aggarwal, according to a provincial Liberal source, had been encouraging Rossi to withdraw.

An interesting revelation from this poll is that David Miller would be re-elected if he ran.

This means that Pantalone should in fact be associating himself with Miller rather than keeping his distance. Perhaps an official endorsement and Miller appearances can help. He's dropping significantly in the polls and latching on to the most popular non-candidate can do no harm.

This also means that if Miller simply used his family as an excuse to get out of an embarrassing defeat that he was facing in light of the garbage strike and other issues at the time, then Miller might be coerced into coming in and saving the city from Ford. I certainly would vote for him.

While Thomson didn't gain much from the previous polls, she's climbing and in now 3rd place, people may just start listening to her message.

Adam Vaughan to run for Mayor?

The Toronto Sun reports on Ford daring Vaughan to enter the race. His response? "No comment, at this time". That sounds "like hold your horses, I'll make my announcement later" .

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/08/23/15112786.html

Considering how much Vaughan despises Ford, I can't imagine how he will just stand by and watch Rob Ford become Mayor. A late entrant would be welcomed by the public because most agree that the current crop is lacklustre.

I'm upset at how Vaughan handled the whole entertainment district issue and ignored a large segment of his constituents. However, I think he's the best hope for Toronto at this point (if Miller himself doesn't run). I'd forget the past and support him.

I think Vaughan would be far more effective as a councillor keeping things in check than running for a race that will further split the opposition and one that he will lose.

AoD

Pantalone has an event scheduled tomorrow with Jack Layton where Layton will publicly support Joe for Mayor.

Good news. However, while a welcome endorsement, Joe is already the NDP candidate. Who else would an NDP supporter vote for?

Maybe this will raise his profile, put some star power behind his campaign. Jack Layton is a likeable character.

I think Vaughan would be far more effective as a councillor keeping things in check than running for a race that will further split the opposition and one that he will lose.

AoD

if ford is taunting him to run, that's probably why.

I hope to hear this speech after Labour Day:

I stood here a year ago, to tell you that I made the difficult decision to retire as Mayor of Toronto. I did this for my children.

It turns out that since then, my kids have been telling me that they're proud of me as Mayor. People on the street have been telling me they want me to stay. I have received overwhelming support from regular Torontonians. I am truly humbled and thank you.

I have given this much thought and I can't stand by and let my children live in a city destroyed by Rob Ford. I cannot stand by and watch the hard work of the past 7 years be destroyed. I am announcing today my candidacy for re-election for Mayor of the City of Toronto... And I'm doing this for my children.

-- David Miller

Bam! Turn the heart warming tale of a Dad wanting to spend more time with his children into a story of a Dad stepping in to protect their future.

Flanked by his wife and kids, many councillors and .... Joe Pantalone, I can imagine how Toronto would get excited about Miller again.

An interesting quote from the Star today about Rossi's campaign:

Meanwhile, with the poll showing Rossi struggling to crack double digits, campaign manager Sachin Aggarwal has been removed. Bernie Morton has been named as replacement. Aggarwal, according to a provincial Liberal source, had been encouraging Rossi to withdraw.

Interesting, but you see the connection?

The provincial liberals have ALL backed Smitherman, of course they want to leak that type of randomness.....

And if Bernie Morton, doesn't give you an indicatino that they are ramping up for the long run... he're's an FYI.

Bernie was waiting for John Tory to enter the race as he originally was going to be Tory's Campaign manager.

Now that John has clear indication that he won't be, he's jumped on Rossi's camp, and with that, all the people that was originally standing on the sidelines for John Tory will be backing Rossi.

You seem like an intelligent guy, I would assume you see the connection as to why the Provincial Liberals want to leak those kind of doubts....

Pantalone has an event scheduled tomorrow with Jack Layton where Layton will publicly support Joe for Mayor.

how is that a supprise?

when Joe publicly supported his son to run for council...

Interesting race indideed...

sex scandal, crime, provincial liberals, and now the federal NDP....

If Toronto is not the centre of the universe... lol

If that's the case, no chance in hell Vaughan will be running

Back