News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

huh? Care to back that up? We've had 50 mayors since the public began choosing who the mayor would be. By all means, if you've done the 100+ years of research that backs up that claim, I'd love to see it. Otherwise, you might want to quit with the hyperbole.

Not a Hyperbole at all. A policy team with track record of getting the numbers right (obviously not smitherman's) has just done their research. Just wait and see in the next major mayoral debate/news release .. you'll start hearing it from ALL the other mayoral campaigns.

Not a Hyperbole at all. A policy team with track record of getting the numbers right (obviously not smitherman's) has just done their research. Just wait and see in the next major mayoral debate/news release .. you'll start hearing it from ALL the other mayoral campaigns.

I failed to see the relevance of that. Even if that's true, history doesn't always repeat itself.

One of the first things you're taught in academia is never say never.Because of that, I'm still incredibly skeptical. You're essentially talking about the equivalent of multiple PhD theses. Considering the very young age of our major polling companies, I'm willing to bet this policy team hasn't spent months in archives looking for any and every poll ever done in newspapers, pamphlets, etc. I would also be surprised if they found polls for many early elections, in which case, we would have no clue if a winner ever lost the lead and regained it.

Also, why do you have such privileged insider info about this policy team? Surely, if you know so much already, you can shed some light on their research tactics.

Last edited:
why woudl that be?

ROssi and Thomson are both reform/change candidates. Those supporting their campaigns have the most in common (Rossi was John Tory's campaign manager and Thomson's campaign is managed by John Tory's Son(s)).

Smitherman has no chance as of right now, and quite frankly, putting Joe Pants in there will further polarize the electorate.

I said what I said because Rocco has become nearly as idiotic as Ford. With his tunneling of the Spadina Express (a 1960s proposal), his call for cutting council in half (cause less representation is better democracy, right?), and his recent mafioso ad campaign (I'm Italian and take particular offense to this pathetic strategy), he is far from the right candidate to run this city. Not to mention he's polling LOWEST among the 5 in the polls -- below even Sarah Thomson it seems -- why would Thomson go on and support the losing candidate? If you actually want to stop Ford, her best bet it to join the 2nd or 3rd placed candidate, not the last.

Last edited:
I am just wondering. Would anybody support a simple majority system?

The advantage is that we wouldn't have all these talks about strategic voting, or vote splits.

The disadvantage is that it's more costly and possibly favours the current establishment.

The Star - possibly Ford's biggest threat

The Star (which helped Miller get elected the first time) may turn out to be Ford's biggest nightmare. Did anyone else see yesterday's editorial cartoon, in which The Star depicted Ford as liar?

Then there's this editorial-page piece shining a light on a group named One Toronto:

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/article/865128--one-toronto-building-up-the-city

One Toronto: Building up the city

In an effort to “change the channel†in what has been a mean-spirited and anger-filled municipal election campaign, a coalition of progressive Torontonians is calling for renewed commitment to the public service values that have made this city great. The group, called One Toronto, has a message that deserves to be heard and acted upon.

Concerns essential to the well-being of Toronto’s residents, its economy, and its future, have too often been given short shrift in the political debate thus far. Issues that have been lamentably neglected, or distorted, include the contribution of immigrants to this city, the value of arts and culture, assistance for the poor, and the green economy.

Rather than visualizing a vibrant and welcoming Toronto, one with immense promise and potential, most major mayoral candidates have offered a pinched vision of the future: they have pledged to tax less, spend less, and employ fewer public workers.

While fiscal concerns are important, they should not be the exclusive focus of this campaign. The trade unions, arts community, student groups, social activists, environment organizations, and concerned residents speaking through One Toronto don’t plan to endorse any particular candidate. Instead, they’re pushing for a broader and truly constructive debate. That’s an important mission. This election should be about building Toronto up, not tearing it down.

Small Business Debate

I just got back from attending the Small Business Debate @ The Royal York Hotel this morning.

When I arrived, the candidates were mingling and chatting with guests. They were very receptive to talk and walked around laughing and smiling. That is, except for Rob Ford. The man waddled in with a frown, didn't want to talk with anybody, didn't shake any hands. He cut through the media to the green room where he stayed until the debate began.

How is this man in first place in the polls?? He's simply not likeable. Throughout the entire debate, he harped on one point and when pressed by Sarah Thomson, to start talking about the future rather than the past issues of the city, he ignored the call and kept talking about the spending the city has made in the past, his own record of savings, etc.

In fact, I felt that Ford was mostly absent from the debate. He rarely spoke, unless directly questioned. Unbelievably, I sometimes forgot he was there.

Smitherman and Rossi both came across as very powerful speakers -- both figuratively and literally. In fact, neither would have needed a microphone to be heard in the large hall. They're both excellent communicators, appeared Mayoral and know in depth the issues of this city and how to handle them.

Both are also very convincing candidates. Rossi comes from a business angle and Smitherman as a passionate Torontonian. If people watch live debates, these 2 are the most deserving candidates, and one the most likely to become the next Mayor.

The funny thing is that I was there to support Pantalone but left with the sensation that he has no chance of winning. He's the most experienced and I would be happy to see Miller's vision continue through Joe but he just lacks the assertiveness to get attention over Rob Ford, Rocco Rossi and George Smitherman.

I've always preferred Sarah Thomson's policies. If Urban Toronto were to make a perfect Mayor in our own image, she would be it. DRL, Eglinton subway to the airport, waterfront, full bike network, clean, tree lined streets... it's all UrbanToronto. Yet, she doesn't have the political experience to get the job.

Pants and Sarah seemed to be very lovey dovey. They were hugging and joking around before the debate. It's easy to forget that these five have spent nearly every day together for the past year.

Overall, I went in a Pantalone supporter, and have come out a reluctant one, but just barely. Despite Rossi's crazy policy announcements, I know he has ambition and vision for this city so he is slowly growing on me. I was left with a very good impression of George Smithernman so I'm seeing myself shift to his campaign, unless he continues to lose support. My first priority is to prevent the catastrophe of Rob Ford's Toronto.

I was very worried that Ford was the inevitable winner but after watching a live debate, I know that if even half his supporters see the man in person and hear him speak, Ford won't even come in second place in this election. I don't do personal attacks, but you'd have to be extremely stupid to vote for this man given the alternatives that reiterate his message but come in a civil, credible, Mayoral package.

Just saw this! I'm hoping there's still hope!! But the article mentioned Sarah might support Rocco, which would be the stupidest idea ever!
That poll is a bit older than the Globe poll that came out over the weekend. The results should really be similar. There's no details on the poll though, so who knows how they did it, or how many they surveyed.

The Star (which helped Miller get elected the first time) may turn out to be Ford's biggest nightmare. Did anyone else see yesterday's editorial cartoon, in which The Star depicted Ford as liar?
I think you're right. Isn't The Toronto Star the most read newspaper in this city?

Here's the cartoon:

dbb9b9cc46ff9b6f294f7b6fbc7c.jpeg

Ford's numbers will drop.

Sure. I think so too, but how much is what's important. If he stays in the 30s, he can still comfortably win this election.

I think that what will make a difference is to get people going to debates. In person, Rob Ford is just not a likeable guy. You can tell simply by watching his demeanour that he can't work with others and would embarrass the city. I don't think I saw the man crack a single smile throughout his entire time at the Royal York today.

Sure. I think so too, but how much is what's important. If he stays in the 30s, he can still comfortably win this election.

I think that what will make a difference is to get people going to debates. In person, Rob Ford is just not a likeable guy. You can tell simply by watching his demeanour that he can't work with others and would embarrass the city. I don't think I saw the man crack a single smile throughout his entire time at the Royal York today.

^^^ I guess he doesn't like being downtown.

Let's send the guy packing off to North Etobicoke where he belongs. Get your lawn sign, do your best to spread the word that the guy is dangerous.

He doesn't smile because he's working so hard to stay in control. Or he does that fake smile thing but you can just see the steam coming out of his ears (like one of those angry cartoon people). At least, that's the impression I got watching the CP24 debate the other night. I'm sure he's been told about keeping his temper in check, not going off on a rant as he is wont to do, etc. He's trying to portray a likeable image, but it's a stretch. He's a ranter, and it will be interesting to see if he can keep that under control for the next month.

^^^ I guess he doesn't like being downtown.

Let's send the guy packing off to North Etobicoke where he belongs. Get your lawn sign, do your best to spread the word that the guy is dangerous.

There's a "Ford is dangerous" lawn sign?

The problem here is that the anti-Ford crowd is only harping about how Ford is dangerous. That doesn't solve the problem that is the fracture of his opposition. I'm guilty of that as well. We just don't know yet who would have the best chance to defeat Ford. Is it Smitherman who is in 2nd but losing support? Is it Pantalone who is by definition, the Anti-Ford? Is it Rossi who appeals to Ford's base?

Hopefully the choice becomes clear over the next couple of weeks.

Back