News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

My point exactly ... but there is a short walk away. Queen and Soho perhaps.
I'm not sure what you're on about or if you're just pulling my leg, cuz there are no houses at Queen and Soho either. There are some close by Queen and Soho, but nothing at that intersection.

I've said this many times now ... a couple years ago the average price in Toronto was around 400K - in the entire 905 - 360/70K ... it's even closer today and some 905 towns / cities are nearly identical.

Yes, homes in central Toronto are much more expensive for 'what you get' ... just going by square footage / lot size.

BUT ... there are many homes in parts of Scarborough / Etobicoke and North York that are much much cheeper then anything you'd find in the 905.

The point is - Toronto is not just million dollar plus home (as very evident by this election) - it's also the 100-200K home.

I'm not sure what you're on about or if you're just pulling my leg, cuz there are no houses at Queen and Soho either. There are some close by Queen and Soho, but nothing at that intersection.
Oh good grief, standing in streetview at Queen/Soho, you see those houses to the northwest ... no they aren't right at the intersection, but you can see them from the intersection!

I think my point is clear, a downtown house ... is your taxation case so weak that your going to argue about exact street address?

Looks like he's already moderating himself: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/881629--ford-won-t-touch-streetcars

Wonder if this Doug-speaking-for-his-brother thing will be the way things are done.

"The suggestion he would rip up lines was just another scare tactic put forward by his rivals, Doug Ford said."

Holy broken promise! The body isn't even dead yet! He might respect the taxpayer, but he certainly doesn't seem to respect the suckers that just voted for him!

Someone phone Guinness, and see if they have a category for quickest broken election promise.

Last edited:
That is great news, I met Doug Ford once, he seems to be a far more likable guy than Ford.

lol in the span of 24 hours, the news has gone from Ford will not be able to anything.

To Ford becomes a moderate and wins support from many councilors.

Lol, Ford will have to stay moderate...

Holy broken promise! He might respect the taxpayer, but he certainly doesn't seem to respect the suckers that just voted for him!

He never really repeated it much and put it out as an idea more than a pledge. He knew that the second he went after streetcars, Adam Vaughan would have his job by 2014.

I've said this many times now ... a couple years ago the average price in Toronto was around 400K - in the entire 905 - 360/70K ... it's even closer today and some 905 towns / cities are nearly identical.

Yes, homes in central Toronto are much more expensive for 'what you get' ... just going by square footage / lot size.

BUT ... there are many homes in parts of Scarborough / Etobicoke and North York that are much much cheeper then anything you'd find in the 905.

The point is - Toronto is not just million dollar plus home (as very evident by this election) - it's also the 100-200K home.
The average price in Toronto is $466000. The average price in the 905 is $402000. The mill rate should (and does to a certain extent) reflect that, and the fact that Toronto is higher density.

Oh good grief, standing in streetview at Queen/Soho, you see those houses to the northwest ... no they aren't right at the intersection, but you can see them from the intersection!

I think my point is clear, a downtown house ... is your taxation case so weak that your going to argue about exact street address?
Well, that's close to my old stomping grounds, so I was honestly surprised you'd say there were houses there, cuz that's the main Queen West strip where one wouldn't expect houses to be. But I'll accept you meant the neighbourhood close by.

BTW, people used to park in the school lot a block from there for free, until the school rightly got pissed off and blocked it off to the public.

Last edited:
IMO, Looking back at last night, I think the best results from last night were...

That Sandra Bussin was defeated by a 40% margin by a political Unknown..

That Vaughan has entered a new era of politics by picking a solid, simple man like Bevilacqua.

Most bitter result...

Paula Fletcher won and the other councilor in the ward with the Sunrise explosion.

lol I don't hate female politicians but it appears those 3 women really took their jobs for granted.

Last edited:
Your premise is flawed. John locke is known as the 'father of liberalism', not libertarianism. Basic stuff.
Your high school diploma should be revoked.

First of all, you confused his conclusion for a premise...

Secondly, in political theory, it is generally acknowledged that libertarianism is an offshoot liberalism. Libertarianism generally is concerned with individual liberty in an absolute sense: each individual should have the right to do as he pleases insofar as the exercise of this right does not infringe on the likewise right of another. Furthermore, the normative justification for government exists solely in enforcing the aforementioned reciprocal right and duty.

Liberalism is also concerned with liberty, but the definition of liberty and for whom liberty should function has changed over time. Out of the classical liberal position, which is similar to libertarianism as outlined above, liberalism has embraced a distinction between positive and negative liberty, and individual and group rights. Simply put, negative liberty is the right to be free from... and positive liberty is the right to... The notion of group rights arose from the concept of the tyranny of the majority and seeks to provide rights to groups of individuals. Different liberal thinkers provide different normative justifications for government with the common theme being the idea of individual(or group) liberty.Therefore, libertariansim is one form of liberalism with a particular normative justification for government with a strong emphasis on negative individual liberty.

The average price in Toronto is $466000. The average price in the 905 is $402000. The mill rate should (and does to a certain extent) reflect that, and the fact that Toronto is higher density.

These numbers sound very off ... where are you getting the average from.

btw - it's not like I disagree - our commerical property taxes are much too high - while our residential rates should go higher - but the difference between Torotno and other cities - from a residential tax point of view does not account for the commerical difference (even when you take into account the provincial education tax imbalance - that'll be fixed by 2014 or so).

These numbers sound very off ... where are you getting the average from.
Toronto Real Estate Board. They publish the numbers every month.

2010-09 416 average: $465890
2010-09 905 average: $402044

Of course, MPAC numbers are significantly lower though, as their numbers often lag, sometimes by several years.

I have not said this. I have said they are bigots. Not sure why you are bringing race into this - my primary complaint is that he does not support same sex marriage.l

Anyone who speaks out against same-sex marriage is, by definition, a bigot. Not sure why this a difficult concept.

Rob Ford never spoke out against same-sex marriage! Where are you coming up with this? Do you have any links to where he speaks out against gay marriage?

This is what Rob Ford had to say about same sex marriage:

“I support traditional marriage. I always have,†Ford said. “But if people want to....to each their own. I’m not worried about what people do in their private life. I look out for taxpayers’ money.â€

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...-rob-ford-s-stance-on-gay-marriage-questioned

Is Barak Obama a bigot? He doesn't support gay marriage.

Welcome to New Detroit!
Welcome to senility.

Obviously 47% of the city aren't bigots, and I'm surprised you would suggest that. However Ford is a bigot, as is many of his core supporters - this was evidenced in the reaction at his party to Smitherman.
And Ford was booed during Smitherman's speech before he shushed the crowd. That's called politics, not bigotry.

LOL @ I suggested it. The fitz who cried wolf!

Not sure why your challenging this, everyone knows Rob Ford is a bigot. The question is, why did so many people think it's okay to vote for a bigot?
Suddenly you're everyone. The fitz with delusions of grandeur!

Anyone who speaks out against same-sex marriage is, by definition, a bigot. Not sure why this a difficult concept.
Hmm.....

Is Barak Obama a bigot? He doesn't support gay marriage.
The fitz who thinks Obama is a bigot!

That sounds about right. Should, but doesn't ... mill rate is calculated by how much the city needs, and dividing it into the tax base. There's a thread here somewhere that looks at the average prices for various 905 communities and Toronto, and does the math. Most communities were higher than Toronto, some significantly. If it wasn't midnight, I'd find it ... but it should answer this.

Well, that's close to my old stomping grounds, so I was honestly surprised you'd say there were houses there, cuz that's the main Queen West strip where one wouldn't expect houses to be. But I'll accept you meant the neighbourhood close by.
That's the neighbourhood where the G20 rioters took the blue bins and garbage cans for use during the riot.

Back