News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm sure whomever he refuses to do interviews with will still report on what he says to other sources. It's not as if he's going to deprive everyone of his sage wisdom by telling the CBC and the Star to fuck off.
It's still petty and shows a lack of respect for people who deserve it. In this case, as was mentioned elsewhere, the CBC interviewer wasn't exactly pressing him. What happens when other media outlets start asking him similar questions? How long before ht stops talking to all media?
Doesn't he coach essentialy high school football? Not really the level they send beat writers out for.
Oh I agree, but anyone involved in sports or who pays attention to sports knows that coaches and leaders (so captains, star players, etc) are expected to talk to the media if the media wants to talk to them. Even at the high school level it happens all the time. Maybe not as much in Toronto because the papers don't report a lot of high school stuff but in a place like Niagara where high school sports are put on the front page of sports sections coaches and players are interviewed all the time.

I don't blame Rob for cutting the interview short. That CBC lady was annoying as hell dripping words out of her mouth so as to sound important.

Carol Off is a well-respected journalist and As it Happens has been on the air for over 40 years. I don't care if she sounds like Gilbert Godfrey, Ford can't act that way.
Your comment also says a lot about you. What process does one have to go through to make such comments? Does it takes years of practice, or did it all just happen in one sudden blow?

I don't blame Rob for cutting the interview short. That CBC lady was annoying as hell dripping words out of her mouth so as to sound important.

Yeah, and some of them had more than 5 letters. She can take her downtown, organic-vegetable-eating lexicon and GRAVYTRAINGRAVYTRAINGRAVYTRAIN.

Seriously, if a certain faction of the public is going to attempt to wage a US-style war on intellect, then fuck them. Don't bring that shit to my country. It's evil and disgusting. We all want our kids to be educated and use big words, so to pretend that it's cool not to is the definition of stupid.

Last edited:
Stopped by the Smitherman campaign office yesterday. It's kind of weird to see what had been a bustling campaign office for so many months finally reduced to boxes, shredded paper and recycling. Said my good-bye to George, but strangely had very little I could muster to say. I mean, what can you say?

"It's been a pleasure, George."

George just smiled, shook my hand and said "we'll ride again." I just nodded and said thanks.

Oh, and he also gave me the Smitherman streetcar that adorned the campaign office. He said he was going to take it, but he simply didn't have the room at his place.

I hope my children know what these things are when they grow up.

DSC00127.jpg

Has anyone actually told Mr Ford that Mayor is a very prominent position and dealing with the media, including obnoxious reporters, and getting criticised by said media, is part of the job? Considering how critical of everything his campaign was you'd think he wouldn't weasel out when the tide turned. You know, kind of like the circus that followed Mel Lastman around 24/7. Lastman, at least, seemed to love the attention.

I'm not sure I want a mayor that puts his hobbies ahead of his job. I don't want to hear the mayor was absent from council because he was coaching football. I don't want to hear from the mayor's brother talking for him, particularly when he's a rookie councillor with no political experience.

Rob ran for mayor. Now he needs to be one.

Yeah, and some of them had more than 5 letters. She she take her downtown, organic-vegetable-eating lexicon and GRAVYTRAINGRAVYTRAINGRAVYTRAIN.

Seriously, if a certain faction of the public is going to attempt to wage a US-style war on intellect, then fuck them. Don't bring that shit to my country. It's untterly evil and disgusting. We all want our kids to be educated and use big words, so to pretend that it's cool not to is the definition of stupid.

[video=youtube;Uvs2g5Nj0NI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvs2g5Nj0NI[/video]

Poll by poll results are out: http://www.toronto.ca/open/datasets/elections/

Quick sampling:

Ward 19:

Smitherman - 9732
Ford - 4630
Pantalone - 5801

Ward 28:

Smitherman - 12513
Ford - 4973

Ward 29:

Smitherman - 7568
Ford - 6493

Ward 30:

Smitherman - 10492
Ford - 5106

Ward 31:

Smitherman - 7942
Ford - 6459

Ward 32:

Smitherman - 11812
Ford: 7639

matt, is there a legend for subdivisions?

Has anyone actually told Mr Ford that Mayor is a very prominent position and dealing with the media, including obnoxious reporters, and getting criticised by said media, is part of the job? Considering how critical of everything his campaign was you'd think he wouldn't weasel out when the tide turned. You know, kind of like the circus that followed Mel Lastman around 24/7. Lastman, at least, seemed to love the attention.

I'm not sure I want a mayor that puts his hobbies ahead of his job. I don't want to hear the mayor was absent from council because he was coaching football. I don't want to hear from the mayor's brother talking for him, particularly when he's a rookie councillor with no political experience.

Rob ran for mayor. Now he needs to be one.

The Ford camp has taken a page of Harper's media control book. Which is to say, avoid the media as much as possible, especially media that has challenged you on your policy. Run and hide if you have to. The saving grace, is that Ford cannot control councillors, were as Harper does control his ministers. I suspect the reason they want Ford not to interact with the media is to be able to control their message. Historically, Ford has proven that he rarely knows what the message is, let alone deliver it. I give it 3 months before some media will be tossed out of the council chamber and 6 months, before the public is banned as well.

matt, is there a legend for subdivisions?

There's a Ward Map here: http://app.toronto.ca/wards/jsp/wards.jsp

If you download the data set, the Excel spreadsheet has tabs for each of the Wards (1-44).

I haven't done any thorough analysis, but my sense from skimming it is that while Ford did slaughtered in the central city, he did better than expected in the Danforth/Beaches ridings.

The CBC is actually suggesting that Pantalone cost Smitherman the election

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/10/28/toronto-election-results.html

Under this scenario almost every single person who voted for Pantalone would have had to cast their vote for Smitherman instead. I wonder what makes the writer think this would happen.

I am sure many Pantalone supporters can't stand Smitherman.

The CBC is actually suggesting that Pantalone cost Smitherman the election

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/10/28/toronto-election-results.html

Under this scenario almost every single person who voted for Pantalone would have had to cast their vote for Smitherman instead. I wonder what makes the writer think this would happen.

I am sure many Pantalone supporters can't stand Smitherman.

Not to mention advance voting. CBC is embarrassing itself.

Having said that, I do agree vote splitting is a problem in general.

Eh, that's not really what the article says. I'd say Pantalone definitely contributed to Smitherman's loss over the course of the campaign, both by his continued attacks toward George (at times, notably in the last week of the campaign, he attacked Smitherman far more than he did Ford) and just generally killing any chance of the Smitherman campaign gathering momentum with progressive voters.

Back