News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Eh, that's not really what the article says. I'd say Pantalone definitely contributed to Smitherman's loss over the course of the campaign, both by his continued attacks toward George (at times, notably in the last week of the campaign, he attacked Smitherman far more than he did Ford) and just generally killing any chance of the Smitherman campaign gathering momentum with progressive voters.

And that is called democracy. I am so glad I live in a society where attacking George Smitherman is not a crime. :)

There's a Ward Map here: http://app.toronto.ca/wards/jsp/wards.jsp

If you download the data set, the Excel spreadsheet has tabs for each of the Wards (1-44).

I haven't done any thorough analysis, but my sense from skimming it is that while Ford did slaughtered in the central city, he did better than expected in the Danforth/Beaches ridings.

i got the tab/ward results selected at the top but there's subdivisions 1-99 which i can't find a corresponding legend for. for instance, if i have ward 20 results, specifically ward 20/ subdivsion 50, how do i know/find where subdivision 50 and its borders are on the map?

i know it's a bit anal but you can't spell analysis without...

Here are some quick visualizations of results by ward, illustrating the geographical divisions...

Ford:
ford.png

Smitherman:
smitherman.png

Pantalone
pantalone.png

Not to mention advance voting. CBC is embarrassing itself.

Having said that, I do agree vote splitting is a problem in general.

Are they ever embarrassing themselves. I just noticed that the writer wrote: "Rocco Rossi and Sarah Thomson — dropped out of the mayoral race and threw their support to Smitherman."

Rossi did not throw his support to Smitherman!

Interesting to see that that going east, by the time we get to The Beach(es), Ford's support is proportionally increasing. The Beach isn't the bastion of green left leaners some may have thought. Or else, the lake dwellers cannot compensate to the left enough for those north of Queen Street. (Yes I'm overgeneralizing of course.)

In my previous ward (20 - downtown east of Bathurst) though, it is:

RF: 5476
GS: 13151
JP: 4129

In my current ward (36 - the one next to The Beach on the east side), it is:

RF: 9606
GS: 5682
JP: 2096

Last edited:
I think it's less a left/right thing in a lot of wards and more an anti-incumbent thing. There was a lot of anti-council hoopla on the east side of the city, especially with the whole Bussin mess.

There's some weird combinations here. In Ward 33, Shelley Carroll - a standard-bearer for the left and the city's budget chief - was elected pretty handily. At the same time, her ward voted 52% for Rob Ford.

Yeah, I just think it shows how issue-driven and personality-based a lot of municipal politics is. That someone could sit in front their ballot and say "I am going to vote for the guy who will stop the gravy train and change things at city hall!" and then also say "But I also support the current budget chief!" is a bit baffling to me.

i got the tab/ward results selected at the top but there's subdivisions 1-99 which i can't find a corresponding legend for. for instance, if i have ward 20 results, specifically ward 20/ subdivsion 50, how do i know/find where subdivision 50 and its borders are on the map?

i know it's a bit anal but you can't spell analysis without...

Ah, those are polling stations. I don't know if you could tie those to locations unless you noted your polling number when you went to vote.

It looks like if you play with this URL:

http://app.toronto.ca/vote2010/disp...pe=1&advanceGeoId=8708756&wardId=28&subId=037

Change the wardId to the Ward number and the SubId to the polling number, you could map the physical locations of various polls.

Yeah, I just think it shows how issue-driven and personality-based a lot of municipal politics is. That someone could sit in front their ballot and say "I am going to vote for the guy who will stop the gravy train and change things at city hall!" and then also say "But I also support the current budget chief!" is a bit baffling to me.

Personally, I think it's the great thing about a party-less system. How many times have we heard provincial and federal voters say that they like the party but don't like the leader, or vice versa? Sometimes good councilors are just good councilors no matter how they vote in council. A similar example is Peter Kormos in Welland. As much as Welland is a factory town, he gets voted in because he's an awesome MPP to have represent you, not because he's an NDP.

Last edited:
Stopped by the Smitherman campaign office yesterday. It's kind of weird to see what had been a bustling campaign office for so many months finally reduced to boxes, shredded paper and recycling. Said my good-bye to George, but strangely had very little I could muster to say. I mean, what can you say?

"It's been a pleasure, George."

George just smiled, shook my hand and said "we'll ride again." I just nodded and said thanks.

Oh, and he also gave me the Smitherman streetcar that adorned the campaign office. He said he was going to take it, but he simply didn't have the room at his place.

I hope my children know what these things are when they grow up.

DSC00127.jpg

AWWW That is so sad. But it was cool you got the streetcar i really hope we don't lose those. I can't picture Toronto without streetcars

Back